[Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: [Series Thread] World Cup 2019

Post by zimbos_05 »

eugene wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:23 am
Honestly England are deserved champions, and I am saying this as a New Zealander. England beat New Zealand, India, and Australia on their way to the final.
Disagree. Why are New Zealanders being so nice. You guys deserved it more. So many vital moments in that match that went against NZ too and it is just cruel.

Winning on boundaries is the equivalent to a football match being decided by who took more shots from outside the box. Does not necessarily mean the best team won.

This winner will always have an asterisk to it.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Looks like England were awarded one run too many. Stokes and Rashid had not crossed when Guptill threw the ball that deflected off his bat for four.

England fans behaving just as poor as the Indians on this too. Saying NZ should suck it and that England deserved it more. Ashley Giles said that Stokes would have hit the last ball for six anyway because it was waist height. They always say that peoples true colours come out when they win, England definitely showing their arrogance.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:03 pm
Looks like England were awarded one run too many. Stokes and Rashid had not crossed when Guptill threw the ball that deflected off his bat for four.
I'm quite sure we've seen plenty of overthrows like that in cricket. I disagree with Taufel's take. If the overthrows hadn't occured, Stokes and Rashid would have completed 2 runs (provided no run outs, which Stokes' bat blocked inadvertently). The overthrows went for 4 extra runs. 4 + 2 = 6. Thus the umpires awarded the logically correct number of runs to England. This is just people's pro-underdog bias in trying to clutch at straws to support NZ, over England, IMO.

The real issue is should those 4 extra runs have been counted and since it always has, you can't change the rules now just because its a final or just because you need NZ to win. Stokes didn't intentionaly obstruct the ball and so its all kosher.

But 5 runs vs 6 runs is really pathetic way excuse here.

Another legitimate criticism is the boundary count thing. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Because at the end of the day runs are runs, and I think who hit more boundaries is a cheap way to decide who wins a game. It should rather be wickets lost in the original 50 over innings, in which case NZ would have won (8 vs 10).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Hats off, again, to the Kiwis and how they handled the defeat.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:11 pm
zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:03 pm
I'm quite sure we've seen plenty of overthrows like that in cricket. I disagree with Taufel's take. If the overthrows hadn't occured, Stokes and Rashid would have completed 2 runs (provided no run outs, which Stokes' bat blocked inadvertently). The overthrows went for 4 extra runs. 4 + 2 = 6. Thus the umpires awarded the logically correct number of runs to England. This is just people's pro-underdog bias in trying to clutch at straws to support NZ, over England, IMO.

The real issue is should those 4 extra runs have been counted and since it always has, you can't change the rules now just because its a final or just because you need NZ to win. Stokes didn't intentionaly obstruct the ball and so its all kosher.

Another legitimate criticism is the boundary count thing. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Because at the end of the day runs are runs, and I think who hit more boundaries is a cheap way to decide who wins a game. It should rather be wickets lost in the original 50 over innings, in which case NZ would have won (8 vs 10).

How can you disagree with Taufel’s take ??? Guptill either threw it before or after they’d crossed, it’s not up for interpretation.

Personally I don’t understand why they count runs that have been deflected off the batsman it should just be dead ball imo

The boundary count tie breaker was also a joke, why not have a second Super over?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Perhaps they way to look at it is that the Final was tied but England won the tournament? Whatever you think the result is or should have been, one couldn't have asked for a better final. CWC Final don't always deliver, this one delivered more than any ODI game I have ever seen.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:53 pm
+1000.

Kane Williamson, take a bow.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:42 am
foreignfield wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:53 pm
+1000.

Kane Williamson, take a bow.
I said to my son when he was having a go at the tv - 'having the character of Williamson is worth more than the trophy.'

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:56 am
I said to my son when he was having a go at the tv - 'having the character of Williamson is worth more than the trophy.'
Absolutely!

The only guy comparable that comes to mind is Rahul Dravid. Extremely rare gems as far as character is concerned.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:11 pm

How can you disagree when his take is the rule?? I'm sure New Zealand would have taken 2 instead of 6 as well. It's not about logic in that instance, its the rule. However, I do agree that deflections should be a dead ball situation, not extra runs. Stokes is not at fault, the umpires messed up, and the rules are a little sketchy.

I don't think its a petty excuse. Needing 3 off the last as opposed to 2 forcing the big hit from Stokes. Who knows whether he gets it or he skies it and goes out. Such fine margins decide world cups.

I feel the boundary counting has been brought in to encourage more big hitting, like going to a T20 style of play. This has been pushed by India. I don't . agree with it. I would much rather it be on who lost less wickets if it really had to come it.