Brexit can bring good fortune for cricket in Africa

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Brexit can bring good fortune for cricket in Africa

Post by Black Mamba »

https://circleofcricket.com/category/La ... GGYGXLinrQ

With the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union, the future of the so-called "Kolpak" cricketers seems in jeopardy, as they would not be eligible to play in the English county game by 2021.

Zimco

Re: Brexit can bring good fortune for cricket in Africa

Post by Zimco »

Surely you will still be able to play on an ancestry visa? Does anyone know if you can play county on an ancestry visa? Therefore this would not change much for Zimbabwe as many of the Zimbabwean players would have a British grandparent. I think county cricket has had some benefits for Zimbabwe. I am sure Taylor and Jarvis improved over there 3 year stints.

Some may disagree with me on county cricket but if you look at football many players play franchise overseas and come back to their country. With the state of Zim first class cricket, it is not a problem if our players play county in the winter season or for a few years eg Murray Goodwin.

We have lost many players to England eg curran, balance. But that is because ZC does not provide a viable alternative for the best players (at the current moment) which we must accept.

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

South Africa is a different matter, and I think this potential post brexit thing may mean some of there players are forced to play more cricket on South Africa which may improve their game.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:30 am
Surely you will still be able to play on an ancestry visa? Does anyone know if you can play county on an ancestry visa? Therefore this would not change much for Zimbabwe as many of the Zimbabwean players would have a British grandparent. I think county cricket has had some benefits for Zimbabwe. I am sure Taylor and Jarvis improved over there 3 year stints.

Some may disagree with me on county cricket but if you look at football many players play franchise overseas and come back to their country. With the state of Zim first class cricket, it is not a problem if our players play county in the winter season or for a few years eg Murray Goodwin.

We have lost many players to England eg curran, balance. But that is because ZC does not provide a viable alternative for the best players (at the current moment) which we must accept.
I think your are wrong because most Zimbabwean whites are a few generations in. The guys under 20’s grandparents are born in Zim. It’s only the 30 plus guys who have a grandparent from the Old dart. Even some in that demographic,, like Williams and Taylor, do not.

Secondly. I don’t think Britain has an ancestry Visa beyond a parent.
Of the countries worth going to in the EU, my understanding is only Ireland, Italy and Poland offer an ancestry Visa via a grandparent.

Ireland I’m pretty across, there’s one exception to that rule, you can register a child an Irish citizen BEFORE they are born, provided you are a citizen yourself, creating a chain down the line that’s never ending.
But not many think of that.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Zimco

Post by Zimco »

Yeah you’re right on the Irish thing, my parents never thought of it, so they didn’t register me.

But I am in my early twenties and I have British grandparents, so it does apply to many of this generation.

You can live in Uk through your grandparents but not sure how that works with cricket. You also have to remain in the uk for most of the year on the ancestral visa (5 years) if you want to get a Uk passport.

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

Nope. Check out the latest Ashes squads. Role reversal. They'll all flock to this land...

Voice of reason.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Where is the change