REST IN PEACE PETER CHINGOKA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: REST IN PEACE PETER CHINGOKA

Post by Jemisi »

It is one thing to weigh up a person's defence. One thing to consider a person's reasons for their actions or excuses for their behaviour. It is a quite separate thing to make the excuses for them.

If they were at all decent these blokes would have acted differently.

gargamel
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by gargamel »

Rainbow Cricket Club First and Always

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I’m getting really sick of people talking about 80s and 90s cricket being white like it’s something sinister. No other races would have that criticism lobbed at them.

Firstly, if it was so racist then why did Chingoka have a good cricketing and admin career himself in that time?

All I have ever seen is these white guys and white coaches enthusiastically coach young black kids and bring them through. They helped the masses and the masses flipped it to be like an ‘us v them’ race war and it shits me.

White Zimbabweans are racially and culturally connected to England and hence into English kinda shit, so like every expat culture on earth they do things and play sports that’s in their culture. Nothing more.

It’s why USA has cricket clubs full of Indians and Pakis. Even in Oz there are Indian comps. Chinese also gather and play Mah Jong or whatever it’s called and do Tai Chi in the park.
Arabs gather at chicken cafes and smoke argilehs. Last week I saw an expat American team play baseball against an expat Japanese team when I walked My dog.
It’s what people do.

Yet ZC are made to be this racist organisation somehow. Never seen any evidence of it.
Cricket an elite sport, but not a racist one. At least not from shite on black.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Maybe because cricket was for decades the embodiment of a racist colonial regime? I wonder how you would feel about the baseball if those Japanese and Americans had invaded Oz, turned you into a second class citizen ("those pinks all look the same!") and you were walking their dogs for a living ...

Just to put a perspective on this--it doesn't justify playing the race card forever.

From everything I've read and heard the 80s and 90s were neither black nor white (excuse the pun): there were great steps taken towards integration and good things done by both the old ZCU and enthusiastic black players/coaches, but there was also undoubtably racism and racial uneasiness within cricket--it could hardly have been otherwise given Zimbabwe's recent past. Sadly too many people decided not to walk over the bridges built or thought it better to burn them for their personal benefit.

And then things went downhill for Zimbabwe and for cricket in the country, and unfortunately that (the sad and tragic demise of ZC) is for ever part of Chingoka's legacy.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

That sounds smoky and vague without showing much d smokes.
All I took from it was white People are being racist just bucks existing in Zim.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

foreignfield wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:17 am
Maybe because cricket was for decades the embodiment of a racist colonial regime?
And the longer you let that bitterness embody you, the more you will never progress.

If Mandela could do it, why can we not follow suit. Cricket is now a majority black sport, ruled by blacks. How much longer are they going to live in the colonial past.

Googly

Post by Googly »

For as long as an excuse is required to cover for gross incompetence and inability to run any single thing without breaking it or stealing it, my guess is if that ever does happen we’ll all be long dead.
Point of correction- cricket is a black minority sport, played by a handful of the povo and ruled by the elite, but hey, it’s clearly a step in the right direction.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Lets see when club and franchise start and how many games they get through. Start dates are always as late as possible to coincide with the rains so we don’t have to play more than half a dozen games a year, if there’s a drought they’re going to have to find another reason not to play.
I was talking to a school sports Director last week, most schools have two games scheduled for their first teams this term, they might go out on a limb and perhaps organize a couple more, so apart from two well run T20 festivals our schoolboys might play three or four 50 over games tops for the term, an 8 week break over Xmas and maybe another two or three games next term. I’d think the government schools where the game has been brought to the masses, thanks to Pete, will play less than that, in fact they will definitely play a lot less than that because 99% of them don’t have any pitches anymore and it’s not an option for them and if it were most wouldn’t bother.

encore

Post by encore »

Indeed. Rest in Peace Peter Chingoka.

ZCU/ZC was once led!
"While Scotland's decision not to tour has been attributed to political considerations, we as Zimbabwe Cricket are not qualified to comment on matters political of any country, nor would we want to base the future of the game of cricket on political directives," Ozias Bvute, ZC's managing director, said in a statement. "As such Zimbabwe has no dispute with either Cricket Scotland or the ICC. Instead, we seek only a solution that will ultimately allow for fair participation by all.

"The Associate Member countries use this and other competitions to benchmark and track their progress, which is important to them," he said. "To this end we feel that the Intercontinental Cup is a significant competition in Scotland's development and therefore important that it gets the full benefits associated with playing in it."
Even the "good" Senator was in agreement, that was when he still had his wits about him.
Voice of reason.