Hamilton Masakadza announces retirement

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Hamilton Masakadza announces retirement

Post by zimbos_05 »

I know I have been one of the more vocal critics of him lately, but still remember that first test innings. Man had immense potential, unfortunately never quite hit that level.

Still a great servant to the game. Hopefully he can use his experience to inspire the next generation.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:21 am
jaybro wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:04 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:46 am

It also means that’s Rift he had with Taylor and Raza ensures we don’t lose the last two. You’d have to think alll three couldn’t continue together after that, unless they made up.

Forgive me Dogg I've been away for a couple of months, can you fill me in about this 'rift' ??
In a nutshell.
During the standoff,
Hamilton wrote a very public letter to the ICC pleading for reinstatement because it effects their livelihood etc.
all well and good until the last few lines where he said, and I paraphrase ‘don’t listen to the two players who went to the ICC shot ZC, they don’t represent the team and shouldn’t have done it’.

Raza especially was furious about being thrown under the bus by his captain publically and told him off, and implied he and BT went to the ICC by invitation and the fact Hammy wasn’t invited was because he held no respect by ICC and players.
I don’t know what happened after that.

Hamilton didn’t bite back with the same anger, but you’d have to think from that it was a strained relationship.
Shame, because up until putting BT and Raza on show, it was a decent and articulate letter.
Yeah wow that's interesting, I wonder who the other players supported? BT & Raza or Hamilton??

Thanks
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Not sure if someone has posted this article from LB but I just read it now, couple of points I picked up -

Good to see Hamilton decided to pull the pin as soon as it was clear Zimbabwe wouldn't be going to the t20 WC, people can argue he should have retired a year ago, but for me he had every right to want to go out on a high such as playing in a major tournament, it's not like there's anyone banging down the door for his spot anyways.

Talked about the influence that Andy Flower had on him as a youngster and there for he will play another season of domestic cricket to help nurture the next generation, if only guys like Matsi, Malcolm, Vusi etc did the same instead of just packing up and moving on to their next gig.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... tri-series

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:25 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
jaybro wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:04 am

Forgive me Dogg I've been away for a couple of months, can you fill me in about this 'rift' ??
In a nutshell.
During the standoff,
Hamilton wrote a very public letter to the ICC pleading for reinstatement because it effects their livelihood etc.
all well and good until the last few lines where he said, and I paraphrase ‘don’t listen to the two players who went to the ICC shot ZC, they don’t represent the team and shouldn’t have done it’.

Raza especially was furious about being thrown under the bus by his captain publically and told him off, and implied he and BT went to the ICC by invitation and the fact Hammy wasn’t invited was because he held no respect by ICC and players.

Hamilton didn’t bite back with the same anger, but you’d have to think from that it was a strained relationship.
Shame, because up until putting BT and Raza on show, it was a decent and articulate letter.
Yeah wow that's interesting, I wonder who the other players supported? BT & Raza or Hamilton??

Thanks
From what I can tell, they tried to stay out of it. Zimbabwean politics in general is tricky and people hold grudges.

How was Europe btw?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:33 am

How was Europe btw?
Sensational !!! As you would know from your travels every place you go has something different for you and it's a different world compared to Oz. Personal favourite was a week spent on Sail Croatia, I'd definitely recommend it for anyone thinking of travelling to Europe. I also really enjoyed Budapest.

Also I got engaged in my grand fathers' home town in Malta which was special

Googly

Post by Googly »

It’s evident that Hamilton was instrumental in preventing the players getting behind SRC, and played a hand in ensuring there was never any meaningful Players Union- possibly quietly ZC’s key man for a long while now.
He’s a guy that many have looked up to for a long time and I believe has sold himself short to ensure a level of comfort for himself to the detriment of others, which is strange because he himself has not been treated that well on a few occasions, but he knows which side his bread is buttered and is smart enough to have taken a long term view of things for his own personal interests.
We await his new role with bated breath,I’m certain he’s pushing for the player rep position if he says he’s going to play one more domestic season, which is only about 4 games anyway, hardly taxing. They’ll have to be careful of him, maybe their big pussy cat will become a lion.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’m curious which fantastic talent he thinks is coming through :lol:
There may be a couple more retirements looming, there’s more job security in management than as a player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:33 am

How was Europe btw?
Sensational !!! As you would know from your travels every place you go has something different for you and it's a different world compared to Oz. Personal favourite was a week spent on Sail Croatia, I'd definitely recommend it for anyone thinking of travelling to Europe. I also really enjoyed Budapest.

Also I got engaged in my grand fathers' home town in Malta which was special
I think I have been overseas about ten times the last three years over about 30 contries, didnt make it to Croatia though, looks a good summer destination.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:02 am
BT
Moor
Ervine
Murray
Williams
Tari/Burl
Raza

I'd be happy to see this batting lineup in an ODI
Give than man Moor and Murray automatic slots in the XI, but reduce Tari and Burl to options?

Sometimes I wonder how many Zimbabweans are actually forumites in the Zimbabwe Cricket Forums.

Some things are just mind-boggling.

Voice of reason.

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Perfect template of how the history of Africa is written by non-Africans!
Voice of reason.