Hamilton Masakadza announces retirement

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Hamilton Masakadza announces retirement

Post by Jemisi »

Sad to see Hami go.

Hope that he does something decent on this last tour and doesn't go out with that European awfulness as his last effort.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Jemisi wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:44 am
Hope that he does something decent on this last tour and doesn't go out with that European awfulness as his last effort.
That's all I'm hoping for too...

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Celebrating the debut hundred:
hm2.jpg
hm2.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Hamilton in numbers:
hm2.jpg
hm2.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Attachments
hm1.jpg
hm1.jpg (486.12 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Was looking at his stats again. Played 38 tests at an average at 30. Pretty decent stats. Do kind of wonder how many tests were against lesser opposition, but in saying that, it could not have been too lesser as it was not Afghanistan or Ireland, but maybe sort of 2nd string squads.

I think that takes away from his talent though. Had we had much better organisation you would have to feel he would have racked up some good stats. Makes his support of the admin a little more frustrating. Man had immense potential.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:13 am
Was looking at his stats again. Played 38 tests at an average at 30. Pretty decent stats. Do kind of wonder how many tests were against lesser opposition, but in saying that, it could not have been too lesser as it was not Afghanistan or Ireland, but maybe sort of 2nd string squads.
Yes his test numbers are quite decent. And he scored them against decent attacks and in tricky conditions and situations. There weren't many freebie tests like in case of associate ODIs. Not many second string attacks I can think of. Was clearly affected by the stop-start nature of his career (due to education first, then the suspension of ZC from tests, then the non-continuity after readmission - just getting a test match here and there once in a while). But that's the case for everyone of his generation, but he was definitely more suited to tests and lack of tests would have affected. Had he played, say, 60 tests with continuity, his numbers would have looked better for sure.

His recent 146 vs WI when we were 14/3 and that partnership with PJ Moor was the last big knock of his I watched. It was an absolute top-drawer stuff with his trademark cover drives working like a charm.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:16 am

Yes his test numbers are quite decent. And he scored them against decent attacks and in tricky conditions and situations. There weren't many freebie tests like in case of associate ODIs. Not many second string attacks I can think of. Was clearly affected by the stop-start nature of his career (due to education first, then the suspension of ZC from tests, then the non-continuity after readmission - just getting a test match here and there once in a while). Had he played, say, 60 tests with continuity, his numbers would have looked better for sure.

His recent 146 vs WI when we were 14/3 and that partnership with PJ Moor was the last big knock of his I watched. It was an absolute top-drawer stuff with his trademark cover drives working like a charm.
Well given that his ODI game never really developed despite playing frequently and mostly against weaker sides, I'd guess his Test averages would remain where it was.

One of the first things you notice about ZIM is that the players games don't really progress. A guy who debuts as a 20 year old averaging 25, is still averaging 25 ten years later. I think Taylor, Raza, and possible Williams are the exceptions to that rule.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Hamilton did improve a great deal as an ODI batsman, his early years he was averaging below or around 20

Great player and as I said before arguably the greatest black player Zimbabwe has produced
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:33 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:

Yes his test numbers are quite decent. And he scored them against decent attacks and in tricky conditions and situations. There weren't many freebie tests like in case of associate ODIs. Not many second string attacks I can think of. Was clearly affected by the stop-start nature of his career (due to education first, then the suspension of ZC from tests, then the non-continuity after readmission - just getting a test match here and there once in a while). Had he played, say, 60 tests with continuity, his numbers would have looked better for sure.

Well given that his ODI game never really developed despite playing frequently and mostly against weaker sides, I'd guess his Test averages would remain where it was.

One of the first things you notice about ZIM is that the players games don't really progress. A guy who debuts as a 20 year old averaging 25, is still averaging 25 ten years later. I think Taylor, Raza, and possible Williams are the exceptions to that rule.
1 thing I do envy about Bangladesh is how Tamim Mushy and Shakib all developed. I dont know how but somehow they found consistency. Even Mortaza. Besides Taylor I dont think I can say the others have managed to be consistently great for more than 6 months. We also never get more than 1 player firing at a time. The only time that ever happened was in Sri Lanka and results started coming.

encore

Post by encore »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:30 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:33 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:

1 thing I do envy about Bangladesh is how Tamim Mushy and Shakib all developed. I dont know how but somehow they found consistency. Even Mortaza. Besides Taylor I dont think I can say the others have managed to be consistently great for more than 6 months. We also never get more than 1 player firing at a time. The only time that ever happened was in Sri Lanka and results started coming.
This is a really shocking thing to say. I'll give you 3 names (assuming Taibu and Utseya are out of contention):

1. Elton Chigumbura
2. Tinashe Panyangara
3. Tendai Chatara

NB: Madziva, Jongwe, Wellington and Chisoro didn't exactly put a single foot wrong in the few times they were picked.

In terms of absolute dominance against real quality opposition home and away, no player(including Taylor) since the rebels, has hit the consistent highs that Elton Chigumbura did.
Voice of reason.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Masakadza played some great innings but personally I am glad to see the back of him. He was long a ZC snitch and his actions off the field have ultimately harmed cricket in this nation more than what he gave on the field. I am sure he will slide into a cushy "coaching" job alongside serial cheat and forger Utseya.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes