Guy Whitthall vs Sean William

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Guy Whitthall vs Sean William

Post by Googly »

He may have even shagged the crocodile.
Yeah I guess when you put it like that he’s the man.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I dont know, I think Im going against the grain and saying Sean.

Sean collects fiddies like red Indians collect scalps. Even if he has a history of doing it in dead rubbers like Encore says. When he is on song he is fantastic to watch.

My memory tells me that Guy didnt have the big hitting ability or hustle Sean has. He definitely had more ticker though.

If I was a coach, I think I'd want a young Sean to work with over a young Whittall.

HOWEVER,
Like everyone has pointed out, Guy played better opposition in another era, with smaller bats and shit but smoother pitches.

So it is very very hard to compare. I did used to think Whittall was making up the numbers towards the golden era though.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The argument that this era of players aren’t as good as the golden era because ‘they don’t play against the big sides’ is valid in one way, but one must remember it was also an advantage to play regularly against the best because it made them better players.

It’s hard to get better when your domestic season is 6 games & the standard is that of a social club competition and you’re playing against associates.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Also I disagree Williams ‘only scores during dead rubbers’ as the Zim MOTM thread proves viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15725

He’s won 9 MOTM awards (8 ODI & 1 Test) which puts him in the top bracket of Zim players throughout history. He may not have always played ‘the match winning innings’ but I can remember many times he’s played a great supporting role with either bat or ball.

It’s just some stupid theory Hhm came up with to try and discredit him, like how he always brings up BT’s poor away average (whilst exempting neutral venues).

Don’t believe it, it’s simply not true.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Whittall in Tests.

Williams in ODIs.

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

If Guy Whittall ever stumbles upon this forum, I hope he never comes across this thread... and falls over his bed...
Voice of reason.