Zimbabwe finally beat Afghanistan in a T20

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by encore »

Victory has been such a foreign concept in cricket for the people of Zimbabwe against the better sides, more so in a live rubber - no disrespect to UAE who afterall did kill ZIM's CWC dreams prior.

The first time it happened in a while was when Elton Chigumbura took the game into the Super Over and won it from there. Then after that the trio of Taylor, Craig and Williams made sure Zimbabwe didn't leave Europe completely crushed and embarrassed by picking a win off the final game.

But today against Afghanistan, albeit in a dead rubber, was the sweatest for quite some time. In part that was because this was Hami's final match. It was also because in the lead up, even in losses, Zimbabwe were showing some fight and a lot of great individual performances by a number of the players who made wonderful contributions. But most of all Zimbabwe had lost 8 times in T20s to Afghanistan, and today was when they turned 8-0 into 8-1.

This may very well be how they've finally dealt with the mental blocks they've been having in this format. I may be wrong but I'm pretty confident they'll have a much better T20 record going forward.
AFG_ZIM_Finally.png (40.59 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
Hami on top of the pile as he signs off
Hami on top of the pile as he signs off
BD_AFG_ZIM_MostRuns.png (58.96 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
Chris Mpofu the underrated servant of Zimbabwe Cricket
Chris Mpofu the underrated servant of Zimbabwe Cricket
BD_AFG_ZIM_MostWickets.png (52.49 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

Not much joy for the Zimbabwe fans since the CWC QUalifiers heartbreak, so I hope you treasure this one. My gift to you. :D

Courtesy of this great man

"Masakadza retires as the 15th highest T20I run-scorer and the highest run-scorer for Zimbabwe with 1,662 runs to his name from 66 innings at an average of 25.96 and 11 half-centuries.

The Zimbabwe skipper’s 71 is the highest by a batsman in T20I cricket in his farewell match - an all-time record"
Voice of reason.

encore
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Zimbabwe finally beat Afghanistan in a T20

Post by encore »

Amidst all the doom and gloom about Zimbabwe Cricket, let it not be forgotten that Hamilton Masakadza not only gave Zimbabwe it's first major win in years, he also officially topped the batting charts of an entire Tri-Series

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... tournament
HamiToppedCharts.png
HamiToppedCharts.png (35.63 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
This Afghanistan Hami slayed, will be a seriously fierce T20 side. Dangerous T20 hitting and devastating bowling attack. Definite T20CWC Semi final contenders.

So really, you should appreciate the win even more, and its architect as captain and leading batsman for the team, and the whole tournament.
Voice of reason.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe finally beat Afghanistan in a T20

Post by jaybro »

That was his first fifty plus score in a limited overs match in well over 12 months, his form in 2018 & 2019 has been very poor.

It's great he finished on such a high, but lets not be fooled into thinking he left at the peak of his powers.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement