PJ Moor the Next Hamilton Masakadza

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

PJ Moor the Next Hamilton Masakadza

Post by jaybro »

Bit of a cheeky headline but any good story/thread needs an eye catching headline :D

No doubt Moor has plenty of work, runs and matches to catch up on if he's going to fill the boots of Hamilton, but in the situation Zimbabwe find themselves where Hamilton and Solomon Mire have both retired in recent times, they need not one but two new openers.

Just watching PJ in his innings against Singapore he reminded me of Hamilton in a few different ways, not just the way he he bludgeon the ball all over the field but even in his stance, like Hamilton; PJ is a big man who stands tall at the crease, even in defence he looks imposing much like Hamilton.

Moor has opened before at the start of his international career against Afghanistan where he actually did pretty well scoring two fifties and a forty, but since then he's been played almost exclusively down the order, that is until the 6th match against Singapore. Now let's not get too excited it was a T20 against Singapore but he still made the runs and with the way the side looks at the moment it might best for both Zimbabwe and PJ if he makes a serious go at opening.

Now Ervine is back in form and with BT, Williams and Raza all still around there are limited spots in the middle order, throw in the emergence of Ryan Burl and even young Tony Munyonga, it's hard to see where Moor fits into a cramped middle order. Recently Moor has been playing down @ 6 or 7 but for a guy who likes to get his eye in, batting down that low doesn't really suit him.

Moor also has a fairly good defence which he has show cased in his short but impressive Test career and with the troubles Zimbabwe had losing early wickets on their European tour, an opener who can see off the new ball and slowly build an innings might be the best thing for the team right now.

Discuss ....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Re: PJ Moor the Next Hamilton Masakadza

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Pjs white, Hamilton’s black.
They will never be compared like this.
Even the least racist person in the world will always compare race for race when comparing athletes.

Like you never hear someone say ‘Peshwara is the next Matt Hayden’ or ‘Andre Russell is the next Glenn Maxwell’.

Look in the NRL. They keep saying Sivo is the next Radradra, or any Fijian is compared to another Fijian etc.

For whatever reason looks count on these comparisons
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

chesterton

Post by chesterton »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:31 am
Even the least racist person in the world will always compare race for race when comparing athletes.

Like you never hear someone say ‘Peshwara is the next Matt Hayden’ or ‘Andre Russell is the next Glenn Maxwell’.

Look in the NRL. They keep saying Sivo is the next Radradra, or any Fijian is compared to another Fijian etc.

That seems racist.If PJ wants to be the next Hamilton he is allowed to be.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:31 am

Missed the whole point by a country mile

The headline was just an eye catcher, the rest of the post referred to Moor taking Hamilton’s spot/role in the side.

And to be fair players of different races to get compared, I’ve lost count how many times I’ve heard ‘he’s the Scottish Messi or Chinese Messi’ etc

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Will probably disappoint us multiple times like Hami too :lol:

Opening is probably his best position because there is less time pressure and he can also clear the field with the fielders in to get his confidence up. For me much like Hami, PJ is a confidence guy. When he is in a good mental space he can be devastating but when things are not going their way they look awful.

I would go for a left hand/right hand combination of PJ and Burl uptop with Tari at 3 to make the top order. Both openers have solid techniques and the number 3 can find gaps easily. Its time we groom the future. Young Munyonga needs to prove himself against better opposition to get a place (kind of like tari in Sri Lanka) but he should stick around in the squad. Then the middle order should have the veterans (4-BT 5-Ervine 6-Williams 7-Raza)

Googly

Post by Googly »

That’s a non representative team, ain’t gonna happen.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Your team looks like one from the 90’s :lol: :lol:
Thirty years of upheaval and destruction to get back to the same point that caused the problem in the first place :lol: :lol:
It’s like the farming. These c*%%s are now thinking that whoever can afford these commercial farms and has the ability to run them should get them :lol: :lol:
Well, well, well, that’s where we were a long time ago when everything was still working. It’s unbelievable. One broken country later, a few mega wealthy politicians and we’re slowly getting back to square one with a million Chinese thrown into the mix. If there’s an afterlife hell awaits these pseudo religious c%#*ts

Googly

Post by Googly »

The road to hell is paved with good intentions :lol:
Except there has never been good intent here.
Here’s an observation- our best black players were the product of the previous regime, certainly amongst the batters.
That was because there was so much motivation to break into the white ranks and the perception that you had to be better than the white guys. There was something in that, but the other side of the coin was that they were also looking for players of colour because there was mounting pressure to show inclusivity. There were a lot of people investing time in their development as well, most of whom were just as motivated as the players themselves, and don’t forget the likes of Bill Flower who played a big part!
It’s why Takashinga was set up, they’ve lost their ethos though. Now people want to play there not because there’s a wizard coach, but because it doubles your chance of selection into the national side.
People thought cricket was a one off battle which had now been won and they could reap the rewards and took their foot off the pedal.
I’d love to see a spreadsheet of all the top players and how many balls they’d hit (or bowled) during their early careers. You’d find the more current Zim players would have put in a quarter of the work, or less.
I remember Hick hit an extraordinary number of balls, at Worcestershire he used to bat actual sessions on the machine in the nets, or so I’m reliably told. Most of our guys do 20 minutes in the spin net and 20 in the fast net about 3 days a week, even that’s a stretch. Finding someone to give you one hour throw-downs 5 days a week is almost impossible.
I think in a place like India there’s no shortage of quality net bowlers and throwers who will run in all day for not much. I think it was Privthi Shaw I saw as an 8-10 year old facing deliveries in his backyard and clearly the father had paid some older kids to bowl non stop at him, effectively child labour :lol:

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:10 am
Will probably disappoint us multiple times like Hami too :lol:
No doubt TaspC and I'm not claiming Moor would be a Rohit up the top, but in recent times opening has been a big issue for Zimbabwe so even if he could average around 25-30 that would be a massive boost for the side.
TapsC wrote:
Opening is probably his best position because there is less time pressure and he can also clear the field with the fielders in to get his confidence up. For me much like Hami, PJ is a confidence guy. When he is in a good mental space he can be devastating but when things are not going their way they look awful.
Agreed
TapsC wrote:
I would go for a left hand/right hand combination of PJ and Burl uptop with Tari at 3 to make the top order. Both openers have solid techniques and the number 3 can find gaps easily. Its time we groom the future. Young Munyonga needs to prove himself against better opposition to get a place (kind of like tari in Sri Lanka) but he should stick around in the squad. Then the middle order should have the veterans (4-BT 5-Ervine 6-Williams 7-Raza)
Yeah I don't mind that although I'd have Ervine & BT at 3 & 4 and have Tari down at 6 or 7, I'd even consider opening with BT & having Burl at 3 or 4. Either way with those 7 guys (Moor, Burl, BT, Ervine, Williams, Raza, & Tari) you have 4 senior experienced guys and 3 fairly young guys, so in time when the older four start to drop off you can then move in other young guys like Munyonga, Kamunhukamwe and hopefully Muyeye, Shumba, Meyers etc into the lineup up.

kudet

Post by kudet »

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/mangongo-speaks-on-hammy

THE story of Hamilton Masakadza’s career would be incomplete without mentioning a man who played a key part in making the former Zimbabwe cricket captain a star. Steve Mangongo might be a forgotten man after he was fired as Under-19 coach in 2018, but he told The Sunday Mail’s Brighton Zhawi that he is still around and “busy with businesses. Hamilton Masakadza achieved legendary status in Zimbabwe cricket but as a boy you found raw, how does it make you feel to see him have such a career? It’s the pinnacle of hard work. I felt mission accomplished indeed seeing the class of Hammy and crew reaching international stardom, not only reaching but marking their niche and performing at global level was indeed a milestone. Hammy and the crew such as Tatenda Taibu, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Vusi Sibanda were torchbearers in terms of bringing cricket to the masses. Hammy in that crew with Taibu obviously were the shining beacons. After his grand entrance into international cricket with the famous 100 on his test debut; how did that 100 make you feel and were you surprised that he scored a ton on debut?

Words cannot be good enough to describe the feelings then, when Hammy got that ton on his debut. It was and it is the pictorial image of Churchill schoolboys sitting at Castle Corner stand, standing up in unison to salute this grand entrance into international cricket, of one of their own. It was a majestic entrance to international cricket by a Highfield ghetto boy. I was sitting with late chairman Peter Chingoka at the chairman’s enclosure, it was like a dream from wonderland.

I was not surprised at all by Hammy’s 100 because a week before he had faced the same West Indies attack at Harare South and got some good runs and felt in good knick so when Gavin Rennie got injured last day before the test and I was part of the selection committee, Mackay Dudhia brought Hammy’s name as replacement. I backed him whilst other selectors thought he was too young to face the lethal West Indies attack then. After about an hour of deliberations Hammy got the nod.

Eighteen years later he waved goodbye to the game in style again leading Zimbabwe to their first T20 victory over Afghanistan with a 50. How did that make you feel this time?

It was sombre feeling to be honest. I didn’t see it, but followed the game thanks to technology. I felt with better fitness levels Hammy could have helped the upcoming youngsters to negotiate the rigours of international cricket, it’s not easy out there facing 140 clicks. I got this chill without Mudhara Hammy to deal with new ball it’s tough for upcoming blokes especially in Zimbabwe whereby our talents don’t play enough besides international cricket, it’s an uphill task, kukwira gomo baba. However, for Hammy he entered in grand style and exited in style with a man of the match performance in a victory over Afghanistan. What are some of your favourite Hammy moments during his career?

Fun enough, it’s a domestic first class innings, he got a big 100 chasing 300 odd to win versus Eagles, insanely concentration by Hammy to guide Mountaineers to victory with a duel versus Elton Chigumbura in full flight swinging the ball both ways at good pace on a difficult pitch at Country Club. Hammy led Mountaineers to victory in the maiden Stanbic T20 tournament.

Internationally, Hammy’s partnership with Vusi versus Pakistan in Bulawayo, huge partnership stands as the best moments. Since he has retired have you guys talked? Where I come from fathers don’t chase up after their children. I’m sure when he has settled he will pay his cricket father a visit.

We can’t forget what you have done to ZC. Are you out of cricket completely? Will you and ZC resolve things? Would you love to coach again because some people are asking about you knowing how you spot and develop talent?

I have no issues with ZC at all when they need my services they have my number. I’m certain they know what they get from the Mangongo’s expertise when they need it.