Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch

Post by jaybro »

Eddie gets selected in the hundred draft
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

£30k last round pick. Well done Eddie B!!!
He’s like that Shubman Gill, when these muppets figure out that Ed needs to open in T20 and not have to come in blasting at 5 or 6 then you’ll see what this young man can do, he’s an extraordinary talent.
I see S Curran was first round pick at £125k, he’s a really good player, but I’m a bit surprised at that.

Gayle didn’t get picked. How is that possible?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

To be honest, I wouldn't be picking Gayle either. He is 40 years old and the appeal of him in T20 just isn't there any more. There are many other players I'd rather have opening.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Maybe he wanted too much money? That 125k top band he probably considered peanuts after what he gets in IPL.
Did he even make himself available for this?
Maybe he thought a poor tournament would reduce his value for the IPL, which he must surely know is his last.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:47 am
Maybe he wanted too much money? That 125k top band he probably considered peanuts after what he gets in IPL.
Did he even make himself available for this?
Maybe he thought a poor tournament would reduce his value for the IPL, which he must surely know is his last.
I think the top price is set, so if he wanted more, he would not have been part of the draft. I think also, the novelty and draw of Gayle has worn off. He might produce one big game and then nothing. It's like here in the BBL we are seeing the local guys play well consistently, and this is what fans appreciate. From a Brisbane fan perspective, we saw the emergence of Bryant last year. A young local talent which gives us the prospect of watching him next season, and then we look forward to that.

We tried the Gayle experiment, it kind of worked a bit, then the novelty wore off and fans got putt off him. They wanted something new and fresh.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

https://twitter.com/dean_plessis/status ... 9984330752

interesting that tawengwa mukuhlani talks about the director of cricket to be appointed. and indirectly endorses pj moor.. this interview pretty much puts everything to bed. byrom wants to qualify for england.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

kudet wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:15 am
https://twitter.com/dean_plessis/status ... 9984330752

interesting that tawengwa mukuhlani talks about the director of cricket to be appointed. and indirectly endorses pj moor.. this interview pretty much puts everything to bed. byrom wants to qualify for england.
Why does no one hold this man accountable? He gets away with so much.

Dean said some of the stuff was mystifying, so why did he not press him on that or question him further? Instead its just a case of, "oh well, let's hope".

My biggest fear is that he spoke of a lot of good things, but the people in charge are not the people who have the skills to do the job. He needs to engage with the cricket people before he does anything else.

Sad we have lost Byrom. Nothing more could be said that hasn't been about why this happens.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Maybe they will retain Makoni as MD and open up a new post as Director of Cricket? I don’t see him going anywhere except sideways or up.
You can’t ask a difficult question because thsts the last time you get an interview.
Byrom has to say all that stuff, but the fact is he can have two shit years (unlikely) and be under pressure.
Or he can do well, but not ever crack an England berth.
That lure of international cricket is always there. Johnson and Goodwin are prime examples, fine players who knew they were unlikely to ever play for SA and Australia respectively.
Our country is in such dire straits I just don’t see any future here. The Chinese have suspended $1.3b worth of projects because Reserve Bank dipped into a $10m deposit of theirs, the gov is spending millions on this anti sanctions march to divert attention from their gross incompetence and greed. It’s also an act of desperation because we need some cheap loans urgently to keep the ship afloat. The East don’t want to give cheap long term loans to help out, they want to own resources and real estate, and they’ve got a huge footprint here now. The problem is a huge portion of any money coming in just disappears.
I don’t understand donor countries- they bring money in for projects but it goes directly to Reserve Bank and can only be withdrawn in local funds and at interbank rates, they pay duties in forex for all capital goods etc
If I was a donor country I’d just pack up and cut my losses. China keep bringing it because when we inevitably default they trade it for a bigger footprint and these guys are too greedy and desperate to see that they’re slowly colonizing us.
America were lambasted on ZTV yesterday yet continue to fund feeding programs? Sometimes it’s hard to fathom how the world works.
They were accused of supporting the Smith regime when in fact it was Kissinger that turned the screws on SA to prevent them supplying Rhodesia with fuel and munitions to continue the war. He turned off Rhodesian Front’s only supply line.

A few days of propoganda and a substantial portion of our country is now believing that we’re in this mess because of a Western plot! It’s actually mind boggling, but it will buy time. Mugabe and Zanu have shouted for years that they don’t need the West, but it turns out that their long term allies, the East, are harder to deal with and drive tougher bargains and bring less to the table.
African countries have played East off against the West for decades and have just assumed that both will keep throwing cash at them, and they have, but there’s definite signs of fatigue now.

There’s no mention of them screwing over the Chinese and Russian investors, whom nobody really wants except the bureaucrats because it’s pay day when they bring money, but they bring nothing to the country except rape and pillage. The Chinese in particular bring nothing but huge long term problems. They’ve got their hooks into us so deep that we’re never getting out from under them. It turns out that we ARE a colony again! The Brits who settled here declared UDI remember? They did not want to be a colony.
At the end of the day it’s a moot point, we’re in a big mess, whoever you choose to blame and there’s no way out. Even Mother Nature is playing her hand. If we get a drought this year the problems are a hundred fold. When was the last time the Chinese sent food aid to any distressed country? This Command Agriculture is just a mechanism to make billions for a handful of people.
The emissaries for assistance will be sent West with their begging bowls. Hopefully they don’t send the guy on TV yesterday that was foaming about the Americans even killing their own blacks and that they were public enemy number one.

Googly

Post by Googly »

EU today steps up support to the people of #Zimbabwe with an additional 60 million USD. The funds will directly benefit the struggling population in the fields of health and resilience building!

This is from an EU tweet today. If you followed up and saw how much of this actually got to the people on the ground where it is so desperately needed it would shock you. They could use a portion of this to pay the striking doctors a living wage, but they won’t.

Googly

Post by Googly »

These are the guys who have imposed sanctions on us.