Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch

Post by TapsC »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:11 am
kudet wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:15 am
https://twitter.com/dean_plessis/status ... 9984330752

interesting that tawengwa mukuhlani talks about the director of cricket to be appointed. and indirectly endorses pj moor.. this interview pretty much puts everything to bed. byrom wants to qualify for england.
Why does no one hold this man accountable? He gets away with so much.

Dean said some of the stuff was mystifying, so why did he not press him on that or question him further? Instead its just a case of, "oh well, let's hope".

My biggest fear is that he spoke of a lot of good things, but the people in charge are not the people who have the skills to do the job. He needs to engage with the cricket people before he does anything else.

Sad we have lost Byrom. Nothing more could be said that hasn't been about why this happens.
You honestly cant press these kind of people with tougher questions unless you want that to be your last interview in the sport. Thats the unfortunate reality on the ground

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Byrom might have his heart set out to play for England but the reality is he has a 40/60 chance of getting there and it will take maybe 4 years of consistent top top level cricket from him. 6 years if he has a couple of bad seasons in there too. He has a really long way to go. At 22 I am sure he is comfortable with how far he has progressed but he might not feel the same way at 26 watching his mates play at a world cup on TV. I wish him the best and nobody can blame him. For wanting to give it a shot.

He isnt the only one. Matigimu I hear also wants to give it a go down south although I dont know how far he will get. At least the quota sytem can open doors for him. I just know that no matter what team sport you play international represantation is the ultimate goal.

Despite people thinking gloom and doom on Zimbabwe cricket I see it differently. Guaranteed money for fixtures plus salaries and games for the next 4 years. How exactly are they going to close shop? They are the richest sports organisation in the country.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Club cricket should honestly be independently run but our dying economy has killed it. You dont want the national executive controlling absolutely everything. This is why even the franchise system was a good idea but again the economy failed them. In an ideal situation the national board should be in charge of all national teams plus development programmes only.

The cheapest and fastest way to revive club cricket is to create a university league. Thousands of students willing to play for free. Will just need to provide fuel, equipment, umpires and a cash prize. Most of them have fields already or they can play at high schools. Students dont need a lot. Much cheaper than a professional club cricket system. Could cost them less than 50k usd a year including scholarships. Tuition is dirt cheap at most institutions

Googly

Post by Googly »

Byrom is like a birthday cake baking away in someone else’s oven. A pathway to their national side is not 5/6 years though, that’s the extraordinary thing about cricket, you get 5 hundreds in a FC season and they like the look of you (leftie and all), you’re in the Lions side for an end of season tour faster than you can blink, especially as an opener. Then you need to make runs there and the planets need to align with one of the openers having a shit run, which is always likely, and you can be fast tracked. I’m not saying it’s going to happen, I’m just saying once you make a few runs in FC people watch.
Take someone like Sibley, I don’t think “they” like him, but he’s beaten the door down. An elegant leftie gives selectors group Broke-Back Mountain chubbies.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The cheapest and fastest way to revive club cricket is to create a university league. Thousands of students willing to play for free. Will just need to provide fuel, equipment, umpires and a cash prize. Most of them have fields already or they can play at high schools. Students dont need a lot. Much cheaper than a professional club cricket system. Could cost them less than 50k usd a year including scholarships. Tuition is dirt cheap at most institutions
It’s certainly an option to get some volume going but we need a high standard of “premier” club cricket that creates a stepping stone to franchise.
We’re surely a failed state, there’s no escaping it. Independent club cricket in a failed state is not going to work well. I know I’m renowned as the doom merchant but we’re in serious shit here economically. Zanu are not saving the day and they’re not going anywhere.
The big guess is what it’s all going to look like in a few months time. We have no food reserves for one.
The introduction of this new currency is going to flop dismally- their response will be even more command this and command that, militant gov youths etc etc. Anyway no choice, we continue trying to survive.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:42 am

Despite people thinking gloom and doom on Zimbabwe cricket I see it differently. Guaranteed money for fixtures plus salaries and games for the next 4 years. How exactly are they going to close shop? They are the richest sports organisation in the country.
I don't think it is doom and gloom, I just don't see how things will get better. We are still run by people who have no idea and only look out for themselves. So whilst there is all these games and money meant to be coming through, there is no guarantee it will find its way to the players or be put to the right areas. I have no faith in the current board to do the right thing and to act in the right manner, which would essentially lead to the constant players leaving and quotas.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Just listened to the Dean at Stumps interview

Mukuhlani talks a good game and was very diplomatic when speaking about the players and who he thought should be captain. I feel he’s been given some advice not to speak his mind after his remarks about Streak. I still don’t believe he has the knowledge or desire to actually do anything to help the game, the only positives for the game are that ZC should be out of debt in a few years and that the FTP is packed, both points courtesy of the ICC not ZC.

As for Byrom his answers were very deflating for a Zimbabwe perspective, he distanced himself from Zimbabwe with the words he used so I can’t see him ever coming back. He’ll likely be tried for England & thrown on the scrap heap like Ballance.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:48 am
Club cricket should honestly be independently run but our dying economy has killed it. You dont want the national executive controlling absolutely everything. This is why even the franchise system was a good idea but again the economy failed them. In an ideal situation the national board should be in charge of all national teams plus development programmes only.

spot on mate, i feel that the board missed a trick by not focusing on varsity cricket. this could have been an initiative they could have used to dangle a carrot for those u19s who are done with high school, give them a partial/full scholarship, appoint former players as coaches and keep track of such player performances and maybe an odd match for a franchise. universities should be used as high performance centres and zc should do something about it. what they need is a director who is cricket oriented, willing to try new ideas and make a follow up on it

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

spot on mate, i feel that the board missed a trick by not focusing on varsity cricket. this could have been an initiative they could have used to dangle a carrot for those u19s who are done with high school, give them a partial/full scholarship, appoint former players as coaches and keep track of such player performances and maybe an odd match for a franchise. universities should be used as high performance centres and zc should do something about it. what they need is a director who is cricket oriented, willing to try new ideas and make a follow up on it
The "board missed a trick" Mate this uni league was taken to the wise makoni and a structure to train sports teachers around the country in level 1 cricket coaching, training 300 a year so that school kids from Peterhouse to mzilikai would be trained correctly in the basics. The response was what's in it for me....
Thats the bottom line individual greed comes before the country.
This also applies to the players, they too greedy for money to change the board. The players are the biggest strength. They get every thing they deserve .

You look at the documentation from 2003 it highlights and outlines how the board should be run and communication chains etc etc professionally done by international people. Everything for good governancce is there they refuse to implement it as they are too greedy.
Makoni just got himself a degree....

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Googly wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:06 am
These are the guys who have imposed sanctions on us.
I would give Eddie Byrom and Nick Welch a call up for Zimbabwe
Offer them the contract Jarvis & BT are getting and allow them to continue with their county contracts...