Gary Ballance

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Gary Ballance

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 am
A few problems with your theory:

a) we don't even qualify for World Cup's any more - so that carrot can't be dangled any more
b) we don't play any Test matches, so that one can't be dangled either
c) I doubt Ballance would be licking his lips about the prospect of a tri-series in Singapore (or Lagos, the way things are going) so the international touring angle isn't going to work

Would a Zim international player get more money than a well paid county player? I don't know, but why give up the comfortable life in England to find out?

Zim cricket's pretty much finished, there's not much point hoping for people to return until the country itself turns around. If and when that ever happens, I think cricket will have long since ceased to be a running affair. IMO just enjoy the last couple of years of Taylor, Williams and co because once they are gone we'll be in the Kenya/Namibia/Botswana division. Hopefully we play a couple more Test and ODI series before the last person to leave turns out the lights.
I get your sentiment but reality is the bubble at the top CAN still survive in the mid term future by bubbling on a top heavy level.

Basically letting other countries develop our shit for us then just taking them.
A leaf out of China’s ideology to business and the Sydney Roosters tactic in Rugby League.

Waiting at the finishing line after the hard works been down is incredibly lazy and unethical but it can work if there’s cash there.

Now as much as our overseas tours are plummeting we DO still tour Europe, Ireland and NZ, SA from time to time. There’s a lot of downtime in between but there’s a lot of cricket coming up and it will increase with more Ballances in the side.

We are still good for a couple of test matches a year and in some ways, it’s easy money for Ballance and there’s a lot of T20 opportunities to pounce on.

I think Ballance would get a T20 gig in the big bash, certainly the Canada league and those pissy leagues.

But let’s say you’re totally right and we have two tours a year to stupid countries.

Even then, it’s a case of ‘here’s money for nothing, come see your family’.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Another thing I never hear about and I don’t know why is Why don’t players study part time when playing for Zim?
At some stage players, even Gary, has to start thinking about life after cricket.

Maybe he is planning on entering the pimp game or the like where he doesn’t need a degree but a four year contract with enough time to do half a degree, or 3/4 of one and getting paid for it, got to be good.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

There are a couple of things he would have to consider but I think the money and the fixtures are not a problem anymore. I know its hard to believe but that is guaranteed by the ICC. Its not in ZCs control so thats why I believe it.

Salary is not the issue judging by what they pay our top players plus match fees etc. I wouldnt know what he earns out there but anything below 30k a month they can pay.

What he would have to consider is does he have a genuine shot to play for England again. Thats the main 1. If not then you he needs to ask himself does he want to play in the ODI league and obviously some foreign T20 leagues like BT is doing or does he still want to play 50 county games a year in his 30s.

A lot of the decisions are also family driven like for BT and Jarvis. They had personal reasons for coming back. Blessing also apparently had a personal reason to stay in the UK. So that plays a big role.

Anyway I dont even think Mukuhlani and co are thinking that far

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

For the record, the Sydney Roosters develop talented players that other teams can't figure out.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Zimbabwe won't be playing much if any Test cricket in the near future, it's been over 12 months since their last Test and well over 24 months since their last home Test. On Twitter the well informed Mehlui Sibanda said that the home series v Sri Lanka (which is still on according to him) will be changed from Tests to ODIs and T20s, he also said that it's unlikely Zimbabwe will play any home Tests until after 2023 when the debt is scheduled to cleared.

Zimbabwe isn't part of the Test Championship so unlike ODI matches in the Championship League, the Tests don't actually have to be played, so it's likely a lot of the scheduled overseas Tests could be cancelled, deferred or what ever. So the attraction to return won't be a chance to play Test cricket again, he'd want a really good salary (much higher than what BT & KJ are apparently on) and the chance to play less cricket for his money.

Really is a 1 in a million shot.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

All of these conundrums are solved with one solution, having a proper administration.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I'd say our only chance of playing Tests will be against Ireland and maybe Afghanistan. Bangladesh are a chance as well.
Against the rest? Forget it.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

One thing to remember is even if the game was run well, the players were paid properly and there were plenty of fixtures, Zimbabwe will always lose players to England, the attraction of living in a better country and playing more high profile matches will always attract the best players like Hick, Currans, Byrom etc.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:04 pm
I'd say our only chance of playing Tests will be against Ireland and maybe Afghanistan. Bangladesh are a chance as well.
Against the rest? Forget it.
I reckon Sri Lanka, Pakistan and the Windies would all play Zimbabwe if they had their shit together, probably NZ too. South Africa might even ask for a 3 match series so they can win a game :lol: :lol: :lol:

But yes you're right, in this current state where ZC can't afford to host a Test and they're not apart of the Test Championship they'll be lucky to have the likes of Ireland, Afghanistan and Bangladesh host them.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:39 am

I reckon Sri Lanka, Pakistan and the Windies would all play Zimbabwe if they had their shit together, probably NZ too. South Africa might even ask for a 3 match series so they can win a game :lol: :lol: :lol:

But yes you're right, in this current state where ZC can't afford to host a Test and they're not apart of the Test Championship they'll be lucky to have the likes of Ireland, Afghanistan and Bangladesh host them.
Would have to agree with this. No reason why the likes of SL, NZ, WI, Pak would not want to tour Zim. I think they know that if it was a strong Zim side, they would get a decent game and good development. If we had a proper run game and a strong squad, SA would definitely be up for it. Short travel times for them and familiar conditions. Would not be averse to sending their emerging sides too if they could see good facilities. No reason domestic sides also would not want to come for pre-season camps or anything like that.

This current T20 series with Aus and SL has been so poor. Aus have demolished them.