How has your association with ZCF helped you?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: How has your association with ZCF helped you?

Post by foreignfield »

One of the things this forum helped me with in the early days was expressing myself coherently in written English. When I first found this place in 2011 I had hardly written a word in English since my schooldays and found it a bit of a challenge to counter hhm's endless essays and statistical humbug. But discussions with other members, some of them no longer with us, were always a pleasure. What fun we had with the question whether BT should open across formats--still unresolved eight years later.

I've since grown a bit more lazy and realise that my posts have become rather short lately. And as Jemisi said, one learns to ignore the rubbish dished up by the usual culprits.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Well for what it’s worth,
You can be a wank at times but I have never ever doubted your proficiency in English. Very fluent.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

This forum came along at a very important time of my life. I had just moved to New York from New Zealand and was missing certain things from home like cricket. ZCF provided a forum for me to still talk about cricket, and Zimbabwean cricket at that. I had never really spoken about my love of Zimbabwean cricket before as in NZ no one would have understood it. I only wish this forum had existed in the 90s, just imagine the conversations we could have had back then!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Liking Zimbabwean cricket outside Africa is like having a fetish for f*cking fish like that old Simpson’s episode with Troy Mclure. No one understands.

This place is great for us outsiders.

TapsC, Googly, Jimmy and these guys added that added the dimension of members on ground zero which the place lacked prior to 2013.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:30 am
I’m curious why he left.
I was really curious to hear his thoughts on how the white run SA Rugby was terrible and doing a bad job.

ZCF has kept me in touch with Zim Cricket. I think it would have been very easy to forget about it being here in Aus and ZC being absolutely horrible at social media or any media of any sort.

It has also assisted me in getting some Zim gear where ZC has failed.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:50 pm

Journo’s from Zim clearly scour the forum too.
Three years ago my friend was going to sign Jongwe for a friendly amateur stint as you may recall, I told the forum as it alerted even myself that Jongwe was leaving the first class system, and the next day my words were in the Zimbabwean sport at pages paper!
I’m certain that the same thing has happened to other forum members. I have vague recollections but alcohol abuse is killing the details of my memory of these things but I recall forumites drawing attention to it.
Not to mention Brickhill and John Ward post here too.
This is true, Firdose Moonda has referenced the forum before and Tristan Holme I'm pretty sure has made an appearance too at one stage ?

I also remember when BT returned from Notts I made the Thread Title "The Messiah Returns" mainly just to stir up Hhm, but a local journo actually used it for his header and referenced that he found it on the forum using it as an example of how much Bt's return meant to the fans
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:54 pm
One of the things this forum helped me with in the early days was expressing myself coherently in written English. When I first found this place in 2011 I had hardly written a word in English since my schooldays and found it a bit of a challenge to counter hhm's endless essays and statistical humbug. But discussions with other members, some of them no longer with us, were always a pleasure.
This is definitely one of the things I was going to mention too, as ZCF was pretty much exclusively the only place I engaged myself in discussions and it helped develop my writing pretty well. I used to blog about my various interests one in a while, but this was a place I was most active. I'm sure I can look back to my posts of 2009 and compare against my posts of 2019 and there would be a world of difference :)

eugene

Post by eugene »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:12 pm
Googly wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:30 am
I’m curious why he left.
I was really curious to hear his thoughts on how the white run SA Rugby was terrible and doing a bad job.

ZCF has kept me in touch with Zim Cricket. I think it would have been very easy to forget about it being here in Aus and ZC being absolutely horrible at social media or any media of any sort.

It has also assisted me in getting some Zim gear where ZC has failed.
I asked hhm on twitter about the Boks. He replied:

To be quite honest the majority of us really couldn't be bothered about the Boks and supported every team they faced. But we congratulate them on their success. I'm a huge Mapimpi and Lukhanyo fan so their combination for that try my highlight.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

eugene wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:23 pm

I asked hhm on twitter about the Boks. He replied:

To be quite honest the majority of us really couldn't be bothered about the Boks and supported every team they faced. But we congratulate them on their success. I'm a huge Mapimpi and Lukhanyo fan so their combination for that try my highlight.
I wonder if by majority, he means the people in his house only. He also probably began to hate Siya when he said that we need to work together as one.

eugene

Post by eugene »

*People in his asylum.