Bangladesh in India 2019: Test series

For discussion of any non-Zimbabwean cricket.
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Bangladesh in India 2019: Test series

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah, go for the day night tests.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I've never seen a ground this full for a Test match not in England or Australia. 65K capacity at Eden and by the 3rd session I think every seat was full.

If only it was a closer contest.

But good to see Ebadat bowling beautifully with the pink ball. The ball to get Rohit jagged back sharply at 139 clicks, and the jaffa to get Pujara was as good a ball as I've seen from a BD pacer. I mean its Pujara who is one of toughest guys to get out in Test cricket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

Kriterion_BD,
I applaud you for creating the conversation about team selections.
In my years of observing team's selection policy, I know it's a conversation which may never end & one could repeat the same point over & over without getting any resolve. And teams from the sub continent seem to excel at mystifying selections.
I have learnt this Bangladesh team did not call for a replacement batsman, even though Mossadek Hossain & Saif Hassan were both injured/unavailable before the second test. I mean, Mossadek should have been replaced earlier. They have powered ahead without replacement batsmen, said what is the worst that could happen & now needed two replacements for head knocks. And a spinner bats for a keeper/batsman.
At the end of the day, when I observe the bleeding obvious being ignored, I just say to myself there are internal politics going on & we will never know unless we are in the inner sanctum. There are players who are good enough but make themselves impossible to select for one reason or another. And the public never truly get to know why.(Normally it's an attitude issue. Vinod Kambli from India in the 90s springs to mind).
The best argument for a player I've ever heard was from David Gower in the early nineties. He spoke volumes for the inclusion of Allan Lamb on a tour. Lamb was mid 30s, his batting was in decline, he didn't bowl but Gower said he was a positive influence in the dressing room. So screw all on field performance, just get my mate on the tour. I think the selectors dropped him which spelt the end of his international career. I think that was the Ashes tour of 90/91 & Gower just about ended his career with some airplane joyride with John Morris - who definitely ended his career internationally. Yea, long story, that one.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

How many replacements can you have in one match? Bangladesh already have two and now Mahmudullah is also injured??

Bangladesh done themselves no favours, or allowed India to do them no favours with this pink ball test. Have any of these Bangladeshi guys played a pink ball match before??? They certainly don’t look like they have.

Al-Amin looked very dangerous with the new ball under lights and I’m sure Kriterion will argue Edabot & Abu Jayed bowled well too, but Mushy aside these batsman have looked somout of their depth, which isn’t really their fault.

Surely they needed some warm up games under lights before facing this very good Indian seam attack??? This game reminds me of the ill-fated Zimbabwe pink ball Test against South Africa
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

India has been scared of pink ball tests and they have given themselves a soft intro against BD

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:01 am

Al-Amin looked very dangerous with the new ball under lights and I’m sure Kriterion will argue Edabot & Abu Jayed bowled well too, but Mushy aside these batsman have looked somout of their depth, which isn’t really their fault.
I certainly rate Abu Jayed and Ebadat more than Al Amin. How many Bangladesh quicks can say they've gotten a batsman of Kohli's calibre out for a duck on a flat track? Ebadat too bowled an absolute jaffa to get Pujara out.

I will say I was initially not a fan of Abu Jayed and thought his 128 kph deliveries would be cannon fodder at international level. I remember, Jaybro picking him out, so kudos, you read that one better than me!

As far as pink ball goes, I think one or two of the BD players had played a pink ball game 4-5 years ago. But its not like the red ball game was much closer than this one. I think pink ball should be promoted, but red ball should remain for 75-80% of all Tests. I think that would be a healthy balance.

Barring Mushy, none of the BD batsmen showed anything whatsoever. Highly disappointing, and alarming as well. The BCB has their work cut out if they want to compete in this WTC tournament. My initial suggestion would be to promote Mushy to bat at 3 and move Mominul down to 4 or even 5. The order should be Shadman, Tamim, Mushfiq, Mominul, Mosaddek, Shakib/Riyad/Saif, Nurul, Nayeem, Taijul/3rd seamer, Jayed, Ebadat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)