Logan Cup 2019/20 R2 ACHPP v Eagles & Rhinos v Mountaineers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Logan Cup 2019/20 R2 ACHPP v Eagles & Rhinos v Mountaineers

Post by jaybro »

Round two of the Logan Cup kicks off today, good news is the weather looks ok in Harare (according to my weather app) today sees the ACHPP or ‘Rangers’ as they’re known make their Logan Cup debuts, big task against the impressive Mashonaland Eagles

The other game sees the disappointing Rhinos who should be boosted by the return of PJ Moor try and rebound against the three time champions Mutare Mountaineers

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/879 ... up-2019-20

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/879 ... up-2019-20
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Re: Logan Cup 2019/20 R2 ACHPP v Eagles & Rhinos v Mountaineers

Post by TapsC »

The rangers look like they are up for it. Very interesting considering that the rising stars performed poorly in the Logan cup. 50 for Mudzinganyama on debut. This is impressive stuff from Brent. They have been working hard the whole year. The Eagles are lucky that BT isn't playing

Mumba also looks like he is back

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:36 am
The rangers look like they are up for it. Very interesting considering that the rising stars performed poorly in the Logan cup. 50 for Mudzinganyama on debut. This is impressive stuff from Brent. They have been working hard the whole year. The Eagles are lucky that BT isn't playing

Mumba also looks like he is back
ZRS still managed to win 50 over championship, team failed because they needed to add few experienced players in their set up for four day games.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

People need to understand the opposition is weak. Rhinos are probably the ones that need dissolving at this point. Only 8 players or so will be absolved into the opposition.

Why isn’t BT playing?
Really sick of him never pitching up.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

1. Mashinge consistently getting scores is encouraging.
2. Mumba is back in touch! This has to be the best news if he can keep it going. During the international stint, he looked significantly better than Muzarabani and Ngarava from what I remember seeing all of them.
3. Costly failure for Masvaure, hope he can make amends in the second dig. Kasuza getting a good start and falling too. Chibhabha, Kamunhukamwe and Maunze would be licking their lips with already one good knock each under their belt.
4. Mudzinganyama looks like a good prospect.

What are your thoughts on:

1. Mutombodzi bowling and getting bagful of wickets towards the end of the innings regularly. Is it his resurgence as a leggie? If not, is it just lack of application by lower order batsmen that get out to him? If it is the latter, how is Mutombodzi getting wickets helping in finding talent for the national duties? Isn't it just waste of opportunities to someone else when someone like Tino who may not be able to do the same at international level bags a lot of wickets and denies such opportunity to an up and coming bowler? (I'm anyway happy if it is the case of Tino's improved bowling expertise)

2. Why is it that "all-rounder" Tony Munyonga's bowling skills not used most of the time? Is he really an all-rounder? If so, and for someone who is ion the fringes of national team, he must be getting every opportunity in everything to get more experience under his belt. Why doesn't he get more bowling opportunities?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:32 pm
1. Mashinge consistently getting scores is encouraging.
Yes this is a great sign, I've been 'championing' his cause for a while now & he was one of my 'players to watch' this summer. He's taking regular wickets & now adding some runs, surely a good chance to make his Test debut v Sri Lanka?
2. Mumba is back in touch! This has to be the best news if he can keep it going. During the international stint, he looked significantly better than Muzarabani and Ngarava from what I remember seeing all of them.
Agree once again this maybe the best news to come out of the opening Day of this round that Big Carl Mumba seems to be finding his groove, he had an up & down season last year on his return from injury and his 1st round showing wasn't so impressive. But Zimbabwe needs Mumba firing and he could form a good Fast bowling trio with KJ & TLC
3. Costly failure for Masvaure, hope he can make amends in the second dig. Kasuza getting a good start and falling too. Chibhabha, Kamunhukamwe and Maunze would be licking their lips with already one good knock each under their belt.
Who will open against Sri Lanka is the most intriguing selection battle on hand, Chari is probably going to hold down one spot (although he needs to show something) but with Hami retiring who will take the other spot? The fact Prince has started the season opening & PJ Moor joined him this match tells me the selectors have told these guys they're in the reckoning for that spot. Moor is probably the favourite at this stage.
4. Mudzinganyama looks like a good prospect.
Gary Brent spoke highly of him and he sounds like he will be a handy player, especially in limited overs cricket as he is an aggressive opening bat who bowls some handy spin. Long odds to make his debut in the up coming test series but a string of good scores will see his odds slashed.
What are your thoughts on:

1. Mutombodzi bowling and getting bagful of wickets towards the end of the innings regularly. Is it his resurgence as a leggie? If not, is it just lack of application by lower order batsmen that get out to him? If it is the latter, how is Mutombodzi getting wickets helping in finding talent for the national duties? Isn't it just waste of opportunities to someone else when someone like Tino who may not be able to do the same at international level bags a lot of wickets and denies such opportunity to an up and coming bowler? (I'm anyway happy if it is the case of Tino's improved bowling expertise)
We can get 'misled' by players performances by only looking at scorecards, and no doubt I have before regarding Zimbabwean domestic numbers, but I've seen Mutombodzi bowl recently in the T20 series in Bangladesh & Singapore, he's bang average sadly. I'm not sure if the pressure of the international stage got the better of him, or if he bowls differently in that format, but his bowling didn't look like it could be effective in Test cricket. I'm more concerned that the batsman can't handle him there in Zimbabwe which shows how bad they are at playing spin.

2. Why is it that "all-rounder" Tony Munyonga's bowling skills not used most of the time? Is he really an all-rounder? If so, and for someone who is ion the fringes of national team, he must be getting every opportunity in everything to get more experience under his belt. Why doesn't he get more bowling opportunities?
Is he an allrounder though? I think of him more so as a middle order bat who can bowl some useful part timers??
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Forum favourite Remembrance Nyathi celebrates his 33rd birthday in style with his maiden hundred. Nearly carried his bat through the innings as he was last man out from opener. Standing ovation in the crowd by his sister Lisa and 2 brothers, Recognition and Reminiscence Nyathi.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

I have to correct you there.
Nyathi scored his maiden century in 2008/09 Centrals v Westerns. Plus he had two others in his CV

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

cricket_22001 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:08 pm
I have to correct you there.
Nyathi scored his maiden century in 2008/09 Centrals v Westerns. Plus he had two others in his CV
Yeah I didn’t fact check that bit. Just ran with it. #fakenews

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.