Test Team vs Sri Lanka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: Test Team vs Sri Lanka

Post by sam_ahm »

Guys, are Raza's issues with the board resolved and will he be in the reckoning for the test squad?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:52 am
Guys, are Raza's issues with the board resolved and will he be in the reckoning for the test squad?
I was thinking about that actually, I guess he’s not a lock for the series at this point. If he plays for the Tuskers in the next month or so leading up to the series you’d think that means yes.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/prince-wan ... he-big-one

Looks like Masvaure is gunning for that opening spot too. 2 more rounds before the squad is announced. Burl Raza and BT haven't even played yet

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:07 pm
https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/prince-wan ... he-big-one

Looks like Masvaure is gunning for that opening spot too. 2 more rounds before the squad is announced. Burl Raza and BT haven't even played yet
Great to see the nice happy family pic there!

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

For me, it is essentially now this:

? (Masvaure / Kamunhukamwe / Kasuza)
? (Moor the likeliest)
Ervine
Taylor
Williams (C)
? (Raza the likeliest)
Regis (WK)
? (Tiripano / Madziva)
Jarvis
Mumba
Chatara

I'd go with Williams as captain across formats as I had already called for it soon after Hamilton's retirement.

Mumba is a must if he is fit and raring to go. Hope whatever kept Chatara away from bowling in the latest Logan Cup match is not too serious and he can be back for the SL tests. A bowling attack without Chatara would be a disaster when it comes to claiming 20 wickets.

4th bowler: I agree that we need to go for a greentop and have a 4 pronged pace attack + Williams & Raza. If we need to play a spinner, yes, Chisoro must be the first choice. Mavuta seems to have regressed quite massively, and Wellington isn't doing any better too. Roy Kaia could start putting his hand up if he continues as consistently as he has started this season. Sadly, his batting seems to be deserting him for now. So, for the 4 pronged pace attack, I'm very tempted to go with Madziva ahead of Tiripano.

Opening spot: I'd go with Moor for one of the spots as his show of grit in this format has been very admirable. The other spot is a tossup between Masvaure, Kamu and Kasuza for me, unless Chari can turn it around massively before the squad announcement.

If Raza and Burl don't play domestically, it would be difficult to gauge their red ball form. Burl in particular hasn't bolted his spot in the playing XI, so he must be making every effort to come back, open and catch the selectors' eyes.

Regis as keeper in this format is pretty much undisputed for me. He is the best choice we have all things considered.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:31 pm
For me, it is essentially now this:

? (Masvaure / Kamunhukamwe / Kasuza)
? (Moor the likeliest)
Ervine
Taylor
Williams (C)
? (Raza the likeliest)
Regis (WK)
? (Tiripano / Madziva)
Jarvis
Mumba
Chatara

I'd go with Williams as captain across formats as I had already called for it soon after Hamilton's retirement.

Mumba is a must if he is fit and raring to go. Hope whatever kept Chatara away from bowling in the latest Logan Cup match is not too serious and he can be back for the SL tests. A bowling attack without Chatara would be a disaster when it comes to claiming 20 wickets.

4th bowler: I agree that we need to go for a greentop and have a 4 pronged pace attack + Williams & Raza. If we need to play a spinner, yes, Chisoro must be the first choice. Mavuta seems to have regressed quite massively, and Wellington isn't doing any better too. Roy Kaia could start putting his hand up if he continues as consistently as he has started this season. Sadly, his batting seems to be deserting him for now. So, for the 4 pronged pace attack, I'm very tempted to go with Madziva ahead of Tiripano.

Opening spot: I'd go with Moor for one of the spots as his show of grit in this format has been very admirable. The other spot is a tossup between Masvaure, Kamu and Kasuza for me, unless Chari can turn it around massively before the squad announcement.

If Raza and Burl don't play domestically, it would be difficult to gauge their red ball form. Burl in particular hasn't bolted his spot in the playing XI, so he must be making every effort to come back, open and catch the selectors' eyes.

Regis as keeper in this format is pretty much undisputed for me. He is the best choice we have all things considered.
Yes well put CA I agree with everything you put there, Moor & Chari are probably the front runners to open, but they both need runs with Prince & Kasuza leading the way.

Raza is the interesting one depending on his ‘standing’ with ZC, they’ll need him if they want any chance to win. Unless Burl leaves the BPL now to play next round he can’t be picked, he hasn’t played a 1st class game in God knows how long considering he missed the Logan Cup last year.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I have missed our Name your XI threads. Good to have some cricket in the near future to talk about.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:51 am
I have missed our Name your XI threads. Good to have some cricket in the near future to talk about.
The XI I'm looking forward to is... well, we are close to that time of the year where eugene's ZCF XI would be out :D

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I think I'd give Kasuza a run. If he can make another couple of scores.

He is 26. He has a good amount of experience.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:29 am
eugene wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:51 am
The XI I'm looking forward to is... well, we are close to that time of the year where eugene's ZCF XI would be out :D
Can we look forward to the ZCF Team of the decade ?