ICC Under 19 World Cup 2020 South Africa

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ICC Under 19 World Cup 2020 South Africa

Post by kudet »

https://www.facebook.com/zimbabwe-schoo ... tn-str=k*F
LAMB APPOINTED ZIMBABWE UNDER-19 BATTING COACH

Zimbabwe Cricket has appointed Greg Lamb as batting coach for the national Under-19 side.

The 38-year-old former Zimbabwe international has previously served in the same role.

He has joined the national Under-19 technical team led by head coach Prosper Utseya as Zimbabwe prepare for the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup 2020 that will be held in South Africa from 17 January to 9 February.

“It’s a privilege to be back with the national Under-19 team and I am already enjoying working with such a talented group of players as we prepare for the Under-19 World Cup in South Africa,” Lamb said.

“What makes it more exciting is that I am working with most of the technical staffers that I have worked with before, which makes it easier for us to function efficiently as a unit as we all know each other very well.”

ZC director of cricket Hamilton Masakadza has hailed the appointment, saying Lamb’s experience as a player and a coach will be valuable especially ahead of the biennial global youth tournament.

“Greg is a great addition to the Under-19 technical team. His vast knowledge of the game and ability to get players to improve on their talent and also to perform better in matches will be valuable,” Masakadza said.

Apart from Utseya and Lamb, the other members of the Zimbabwe Under-19 technical staff are team manager Moses Chitare, analyst Mufaro Chiturumani, physiotherapist Travor Wambe and fitness trainer Walter Karimanzira.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Utseya as coach is exactly what the young minds should not be exposed to. Sad.

Googly

Post by Googly »

How does Lamb get appointed the batting coach when there’s no time left to coach? :lol: They’ve been practicing for about a year.
It starts in a month. He should just pitch up on the day and they could save a month’s salary.
I guess they need a name on the program where it says - Batting Coach :lol:
For the team to play it’s first international a few days before the WC does not auger well. We’re in miracle territory if anyone is expecting better than 12th spot.
There are some good batters in particular in that side, they deserve better treatment than that.

zimbot

Post by zimbot »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:38 am
Utseya as coach is exactly what the young minds should not be exposed to. Sad.
Exactly. Unfortunately, in Zimbabwe every 1 in 3 people you meet is exactly like an Utseya so you can't avoid them.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:43 pm
How does Lamb get appointed the batting coach when there’s no time left to coach? :lol: They’ve been practicing for about a year.
It starts in a month. He should just pitch up on the day and they could save a month’s salary.
I guess they need a name on the program where it says - Batting Coach :lol:
For the team to play it’s first international a few days before the WC does not auger well. We’re in miracle territory if anyone is expecting better than 12th spot.
There are some good batters in particular in that side, they deserve better treatment than that.
Greg has been playing club cricket in Ireland, don't think he did that well, only averaged 20 with the bat.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Another warm up game for the U19s side against a Zimbabwe Select side (more accurately Zim Random XI)

Cephas made a quick start and scored 60, he should move to the Rhinos if the Eagles aren’t going to select him.

Myers taking 3 wickets, I wonder if he’s changed his bowling action? Looked awful two years ago

Runs from Marumani & Tugwete getting them home

https://www.crichq.com/matches/806863/2nd_innings
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Another Zim U19s warm up game v Zim Select XI, made up of mainly Eagles’ players who didn’t make the Logan Cup side, plus Luke Jongwe who took 4/34 & made 30 odd.

Concerning for the U19s side that the ‘big 3’ of Shumba, Myers & Madhevere all failed with the bat, plus Myers only bowled 1.2 overs so looks like he’s picked up an injury?

Luke Oldknow, Dane Schadendorf & Tugwete rescuer the innings all making half centuries, whilst it was the spin of Shumba, Madhevere & Nyangoni doing the damage.

https://www.crichq.com/matches/807171/2nd_innings
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Thanks as usual for keeping us updated with scorecards, jaybro. I didn't know the younger Schadendorff was the keeper, or are they still trying to figure out who's the best gloveman in the squad?

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Still trying to figure out if these select teams which are actually franchise B teams are this bad or these kids are that good. They also did well against the rangers who have just shown us they are not a bad unit. I guess we will see next month but I have high hopes for this kids. Their group isn't bad either.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

And how many exactly are expected to carry on playing when the tournament concludes? I’ll say 3 or 4 at best.
Even if we win the entire thing (ha!) it would mean sweet fuck all, because the players wouldn’t continue their development into the national side