ICC Under 19 World Cup 2020 South Africa

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: ICC Under 19 World Cup 2020 South Africa

Post by Googly »

Just read Mukhulani’s inspirational send off speech :lol:
“You can only be u19 once!”
Unless you’re Madhevere, Shumba or Myers, then you can be u19 almost as many times as you like. :lol:
They’re good players, I’m just laughing at what was said.
We must have more u19 WC repeat caps than any other team.
This young Tugwete lad is a decent player, he’s on a soccer scholarship in The States. He’s probably the best schoolboy hockey player in the land, breathtaking skills, but he’s not likely to touch a cricket bat ever again after this WC and highly unlikely to return to our shores except for Xmas holidays.
A couple of WC’s ago they picked a South African boy who took the WC holiday and never returned. That selection probably resulted in Byrom and Welch leaving for greener pastures :lol:, definitely ZC’s biggest blunder in terms of losing quality players in recent times. What would they give to see a rapier and a broadsword crossing that boundary line now? Well they don’t give a shit, they’ll only stare at each other in dumbfounded indignation and disbelief the day after we get our allocation halved and start whining about racism within the ICC, but us as fans would be licking our lips.
Mark my words- Byrom is good enough to open for England and I predict he will get a shot in the next 5 years. Here’s a big statement- there’s no one in world cricket with more time on the ball, he’s going to be a batting superstar. ZC “selectors” swapped him for a 5 ft 6 South African who’s now a body builder :lol:
I guess Rands talks.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

So Rameez Ahmed is batting 11 and not bowling!?

A lot of people in the school system have been saying that he was only selected due to a large ‘financial donation’ from his parents. And he’s Ill equipped and is exposing himself to a safety hazard by being there.

This is only going to fuel that talk. Don’t think he’s in the hood books
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:10 am
Just read Mukhulani’s inspirational send off speech :lol:
“You can only be u19 once!”
Unless you’re Madhevere, Shumba or Myers, then you can be u19 almost as many times as you like. :lol:
They’re good players, I’m just laughing at what was said.
We must have more u19 WC repeat caps than any other team.
This young Tugwete lad is a decent player, he’s on a soccer scholarship in The States. He’s probably the best schoolboy hockey player in the land, breathtaking skills, but he’s not likely to touch a cricket bat ever again after this WC and highly unlikely to return to our shores except for Xmas holidays.
A couple of WC’s ago they picked a South African boy who took the WC holiday and never returned. That selection probably resulted in Byrom and Welch leaving for greener pastures :lol:, definitely ZC’s biggest blunder in terms of losing quality players in recent times. What would they give to see a rapier and a broadsword crossing that boundary line now? Well they don’t give a shit, they’ll only stare at each other in dumbfounded indignation and disbelief the day after we get our allocation halved and start whining about racism within the ICC, but us as fans would be licking our lips.
Mark my words- Byrom is good enough to open for England and I predict he will get a shot in the next 5 years. Here’s a big statement- there’s no one in world cricket with more time on the ball, he’s going to be a batting superstar. ZC “selectors” swapped him for a 5 ft 6 South African who’s now a body builder :lol:
I guess Rands talks.
Those US scholarships are a winner for anybody. I remember a while back they lost a really good fast bowler to an Athletics scholarship. He never came back

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

Googly

Post by Googly »

It would be an interesting exercise to see who from the last four u19 WC’s still plays cricket and at what level.
I’m sure we probably have the highest drop out rate.
This group seems to have a strong batting line up, but their bowling looks to be below par. I’m not sure any of these batters have faced much over 130 and they’re likely to see 140 plus, we’ll soon see who has the goods because that’s a big step up.
ICC is supposed to have allocated money for all the u19 teams and yet ours have not played a single other u19 side! The usual question- where’s the money gone??
You’d think ICC would ask them for a breakdown of their expenses. Even our mob would have a tough time explaining that one.
There seems to be little point in getting ZC to “investigate” a highly questionable selection when they themselves are corrupt to the core. The only time there’s ever an “investigation” in Zim is when someone has broken ranks and they want to get rid of them- it’s all catch and release anyway, it just means their snouts are removed from the trough. The problem we face in all walks is that corruption is a way of life here, it’s a recognized and accepted way of surviving.
Samora Machel once famously said - the goat must graze where it’s tethered.
The trick is to become the goat.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Great questions, well worth my time investigating during the holidays.

2012: Australia

These players are 25/26 at the moment.

Matthew Bentley: Captain of this squad, went and played in Ireland for a couple of seasons before going to University in South Africa, now works in the Tobacco industry and is again based in Zimbabwe I think.

Kevin Kasuza Has transferred to the domestic scene. Averaging around 30 with the bat in both FC and OD cricket. On the fringes of national selection without ever knocking the door down.

Kyle Bowie Played a few FC games for the Tuskers before heading to Australia to play club cricket, has also played club cricket in the UK. No idea what he is doing now.

Ryan Burl Originally went to University in the UK before dropping out to return to play cricket in Zimbabwe, played a number of seasons in the UK before finally getting his chance in the national side.

Atish Chouhan Played a number of seasons in the UK, think he is now based in South Africa.

Kieran Geyle Went to University of Southampton in the UK, played club cricket and a few games for Hampshire 2nds. Now lives in London where he plays club cricket.

Luke Jongwe The first of this group to play international cricket. Drifted away from the game due to drugs and alcohol problems, trying to force his way back into the domestic game at the moment, has played a number of seasons with some success in the UK.

Malcolm Lake Moved to the UK where he has played for Oxford University and Daberyshire 2nds. Studying to become a lawyer, plays club cricket in London.

Campbell Light Played club cricket in the UK and Australia. Think he is now based back in Zimbabwe,

Wellington Masakadza Played on the domestic scene for the last few years, has represented Zimbabwe in all formats. Very much on the fringes of the national side.

Luke Masasire Drifted out of the game to play rugby in South Africa, not sure on his progress.

Nyasha Mayavo First choice wk at the Rhinos, considered to be the best gloveman in the country but his batting lets him down. Was nearly selected for a Test Match against the West Indies in 2017.

Cuthbert Musoko Broke onto the domestic scene but has not played in the last couple of years. Think he was the top wicket taker in the Vinge Cup last year. Played some club cricket in the UK.

Andre Odendaal Very little information about this guy but he played club cricket in Australia in 2019.

Peacemore Zimwa Lives in Joburg where he plays and coaches in Club Cricket.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Kieran Gayle was a decent player. Damned good spinner and good batsman, and improved his batting immensely, he’s just another UK statistic ie he’s been overlooked. He could easily have played at a higher level.
We definitely have not seen the last of Lake. I suspect he’s finishing off his law degree before concentrating on cricket. He plays for Esher CC, an absolutely monumental talent with the bat but I don’t think has ever ground out one single innings, he just plays freely and if he comes off his team wins, which is not that often. If this guy put his head down he’d be amazing, bowls quick and is an absolute gun fielder. We’ll see him at Derbyshire or back in zim in a year or so, can almost guarantee it.

You can see from your post that the white guys are not part of the plan here.
I saw Gary King the other day, another really talented guy who was plying his trade in Ireland, but I believe wants to make a move to a Surrey club and hope to get noticed. That’s a bit naive. Nobody makes the jump from club to county in Surrey, and that applies mostly to all counties. You’re either in the system from the outset or you’re a lost soul with pipe dreams.
Brad Evans is around for the Xmas break as well, another talented young man.
Campbell Light was quick, had a back problem.
You often find that talented guys give up too quickly, when it comes too easy and then you hit a rough patch when you play in the deep end it’s too easy to pull a fictitious fat and claim 30 years later that you could have played for the World eleven but for the dodgy knee. Most of my mates fall into this category and when I’ve had a bottle of scotch I also have a few claims :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Bentley’s dad was a Springbok back in the Currie Cup days.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Not sure what’s happening with Dollar. He was ok, but I don’t think quite good enough.
Frost is at Loughborough, also borderline in my view.
If Murray doesn’t get some attention I think he’ll be lost soon as well. That would be a big loss, not that they care.
And then my pet subject....Muyeye!
The most talented batsman Zim has seen since Houghton and Hick and these muppets don’t see that, and whilst the cash rolls in they don’t care.
I’d send a delegation to kidnap this guy.

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:09 am
Great questions, well worth my time investigating during the holidays.

2012: Australia

These players are 25/26 at the moment.

Matthew Bentley: Captain of this squad, went and played in Ireland for a couple of seasons before going to University in South Africa, now works in the Tobacco industry and is again based in Zimbabwe I think.

Kevin Kasuza Has transferred to the domestic scene. Averaging around 30 with the bat in both FC and OD cricket. On the fringes of national selection without ever knocking the door down.

Kyle Bowie Played a few FC games for the Tuskers before heading to Australia to play club cricket, has also played club cricket in the UK. No idea what he is doing now.

Ryan Burl Originally went to University in the UK before dropping out to return to play cricket in Zimbabwe, played a number of seasons in the UK before finally getting his chance in the national side.

Atish Chouhan Played a number of seasons in the UK, think he is now based in South Africa.

Kieran Geyle Went to University of Southampton in the UK, played club cricket and a few games for Hampshire 2nds. Now lives in London where he plays club cricket.

Luke Jongwe The first of this group to play international cricket. Drifted away from the game due to drugs and alcohol problems, trying to force his way back into the domestic game at the moment, has played a number of seasons with some success in the UK.

Malcolm Lake Moved to the UK where he has played for Oxford University and Daberyshire 2nds. Studying to become a lawyer, plays club cricket in London.

Campbell Light Played club cricket in the UK and Australia. Think he is now based back in Zimbabwe,

Wellington Masakadza Played on the domestic scene for the last few years, has represented Zimbabwe in all formats. Very much on the fringes of the national side.

Luke Masasire Drifted out of the game to play rugby in South Africa, not sure on his progress.

Nyasha Mayavo First choice wk at the Rhinos, considered to be the best gloveman in the country but his batting lets him down. Was nearly selected for a Test Match against the West Indies in 2017.

Cuthbert Musoko Broke onto the domestic scene but has not played in the last couple of years. Think he was the top wicket taker in the Vinge Cup last year. Played some club cricket in the UK.

Andre Odendaal Very little information about this guy but he played club cricket in Australia in 2019.

Peacemore Zimwa Lives in Joburg where he plays and coaches in Club Cricket.
Interesting reading Zimfan, be great to see you do it for all the world cups!!