Zimbabwe Official Cricket Schedule Out till October 2020

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Robbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe Official Cricket Schedule Out till October 2020

Post by Robbo »

I was at a Scotland ODI in Edinbirgh earlier in the year, and people I spoke to there were angry about the amount Zim gets, and yet play so little cricket. Scotland have done brilliant things both on and off the pitch to promote the game there at all levels, with an absolute fraction of the money. They, plus a few other countries are catching up fast, and as you say Googly, Zim are in reverse.

The clock is ticking....

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Robbo wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:45 pm
I was at a Scotland ODI in Edinbirgh earlier in the year, and people I spoke to there were angry about the amount Zim gets, and yet play so little cricket. Scotland have done brilliant things both on and off the pitch to promote the game there at all levels, with an absolute fraction of the money. They, plus a few other countries are catching up fast, and as you say Googly, Zim are in reverse.

The clock is ticking....
Cricket In African Continent is hard to grow because of numerous unwanted reasons. Top level now only belongs to South Africa, Zimbabwe is in struggling mode since 2003, Namibia still continuing with associate despite playing the game from long time. Nigeria Cricket recently was of good sign but needs more time to develop same goes with Uganda, Once Surprising Kenya has now being wiped out, other nations in cricket are still not in picture.

As per development is concerned, T20 cricket is very much effective in spreading the game, Asians are top at present, serious cricket is going on among the associates, European Countrues are slowly & steadily taking the game. Windies are playing pivotal role in developing the game in North America. Japan, PNG, Fiji are creating atmosphere of cricket in Pacific, Japan's participation in Under 19 World Cup is a thing to watch for as the country known for developing good atheletic individuals.

Africa & South America are only two continent struggling in spreading the game, but whats amazing to see is the scene completely takes a turn around when the game is changed from cricket to soccer.

Googly

Post by Googly »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:12 pm
jaybro wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:10 am
sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:24 am
How the John can we afford to host 2 tests all of a sudden? And why aren’t we having reciprocated tours? We just seem to be hosting games now
ZC haven’t hosted a Test for 27 months!!! I know they’re ‘short of cash’ but surely hosting a Two Test Series every 2.25 years is financially achievable
A test match costs over 2 million to host, and yet ZC can’t even afford a decent hotel for the guys to stay in. I don’t get it
I would love to see a realistic cash flow of hosting a test match. You’re playing 5 days of cricket, no way that costs $2m.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Robbo wrote:

The clock is ticking....
There is a key difference though and that is I assume it is so much easier to get sponsorship in Scotland.

In zim it’s impossible for a few reasons. Some in ZC control and some aren’t. It’s a big factor.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

You need 2 umpires, 10 security guards, 10 groundsmen, a few cameras, some local commentators and a guy selling some ice creams.
Hotel for 20 guys for a month.
A section of the business community would also help if they knew their money would be spent judiciously.
You’d surely defray some expenses selling TV to the Sri Lankans?

I can’t find any useful info on costs on google.
The closest I got was that it costs $25k to host an ODI in the UAE.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:46 pm
You need 2 umpires, 10 security guards, 10 groundsmen, a few cameras, some local commentators and a guy selling some ice creams.
Hotel for 20 guys for a month.
A section of the business community would also help if they knew their money would be spent judiciously.
You’d surely defray some expenses selling TV to the Sri Lankans?

I can’t find any useful info on costs on google.
The closest I got was that it costs $25k to host an ODI in the UAE.
Even by that logic, it’s still 100k.
That’s a lot less than 10 mil. I’d say I’m zim it’s much cheaper.

I’d say the ten mil figure takes into account players annual wages as part of the calculation.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Black Mamba wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:58 pm
Robbo wrote:

The clock is ticking....
Cricket In African Continent is hard to grow because of numerous unwanted reasons. Top level now only belongs to South Africa, Zimbabwe is in struggling mode since 2003, Namibia still continuing with associate despite playing the game from long time. Nigeria Cricket recently was of good sign but needs more time to develop same goes with Uganda, Once Surprising Kenya has now being wiped out, other nations in cricket are still not in picture.

As per development is concerned, T20 cricket is very much effective in spreading the game, Asians are top at present, serious cricket is going on among the associates, European Countrues are slowly & steadily taking the game. Windies are playing pivotal role in developing the game in North America. Japan, PNG, Fiji are creating atmosphere of cricket in Pacific, Japan's participation in Under 19 World Cup is a thing to watch for as the country known for developing good atheletic individuals.

Africa & South America are only two continent struggling in spreading the game, but whats amazing to see is the scene completely takes a turn around when the game is changed from cricket to soccer.
I’m highly sceptical any minor African nation can rise up on their own. It’ll only happen if asians or Europeans come in to run the country’s cricket. Corruption is too deep in the African mindset. Even If some are passionate and patient enough to come in and grow the game, the next set of leaders will show up and pocket the money, or the ones after that.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And you’d sell TV rights back to the visiting team for a portion of that at least

Googly

Post by Googly »

Unless there’s cash coming in from TV from this ODI league or the ICC give extra cash, ZC will run out of money if they claim it costs these huge sums to host.
Bear in mind they’ve kept afloat by playing no cricket whatsoever, which apparently costs hundreds of thousands a game. Whenever there’s a game here that’s when all the tricks come out to divert money. The best example is the money that was spent on the qualifiers here. The ICC gave us millions and much of it went astray. The money spent on refurbishing grounds just doesn’t add up, amongst other things.
ZC have about 6 mill to play with, have to keep our Franchise alive, pay each other 20k-30k a month, pay all the staff and players and they claim that there’s never a cent left at the end of the month and now have to play 34 games of international cricket that I’m guessing won’t generate much revenue. I hope I’m wrong.
ZC have to play the games but take poison on the fact that there’s going to be no money left for our franchise games next season. There are going to be some sad faces from the FC guys. If you thought this season started a bit late, wait for next year!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Hasnian or what ever he was called spoke on cricinfo about the costs of hosting a test match. It was in the million bracket I am sure of it. I’d have a look myself but I’m away and have poor WiFi at the moment