Logan Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Logan Cup

Post by eugene »

One of the games was cancelled due to Old Hararians being in poor condition and ZC has also seemingly run out of money again. Even Takashinga is in rough shape after so matches on the wicket. It is quite possible that no more Logan Cup cricket will be played this month.

The players have been paid for the month of December but no other ZC staff or workers have been. ZC have failed to budget properly and the Sri Lanka tour is something which is going to have a catastrophic effect on the finances.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

So why propose it?! I said it earlier, much to some people’s reservations, that these home tests are killing us financially. Ok, €2million was probably slight out of proportion on part (must have misread it) but it is in the seven figure salary. We don’t have that financial featherbed to begin with, so why waste our already demonised resources ?

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

ZC would have never wanted to host those test matches, especially if Bangladesh was going to host them the following month. My guess is the ICC forced them to host those test matches and they drip feed the money to them so they knew their finances would be tight. It's a mess. 2 million is a huge portion of our money. I doubt the Ireland test will go ahead. It will bankrupt us.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I disagree. It’s a dream come true for ZC. If they’re told to host they are rubbing their hands together in glee and if the bar is set at $1m a test then believe me that’s how much it will cost :lol:, not a penny less.
An added bonus will be nothing further to do for the rest of the year except run their own side line businesses and look forward to all going 5 star to watch our compulsory overseas games and do a bit of shopping. There will be money set aside for their 20k a month salaries though, take poison on that. Players will be told that there’s no money :lol:
I drove past OH this week. It’s a mess because they can’t do the most basic of things and that’s mow the grass regularly. Grass is a motherfucker because it has this annoying habit of growing. I was going to say lawn, but when it’s over a certain height you have to rename it bush, or forest or something similar. If you mow it once a week it’s easy to maintain. It needs a tractor and a mower and 20 litres of diesel. I watched that driver a while ago, I didn’t know tractors could go that fast, they will need to replace it soon. They have everything except the 20 liters of diesel which is a step too far. Between 26 players they won’t raise $1 ea, that’s someone else’s job. When you’ve been disenfranchised and feel you’re owed then it’s best to sit and someone will do it for you. It’s actually a form of entitlement, it’s expected and if it’s not laid on everyone will go and sit under a tree. It’s impossible to have any more sympathy for most of the players, they’ve made their bed, they’ve given ZC a pink ticket to rape them and they’ve accepted it gleefully.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Spoke to a player who confirmed that as it stands the Logan Cup will not resume on Thursday. Quoted funding issues.

jward

Post by jward »

ZIMFAN wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:16 am
It looks like the round due to start today have been shelved.
Correct - the financial crisis again in ZC, exacerbated by the massive reduction in the ICC handout. The Sri Lanka tour is swallowing up a massive amount of money and right now there is none left for Logan Cup, salaries or anything else.

Googly

Post by Googly »

John-
How big is the reduction in the handout?
Is it permanent? If it is then presumably that’s the end of the road for us?
If there’s no money for Logan cup before Sri Lanka then surely there will be even less after?

Googly

Post by Googly »

If the ICC handout has been permanently significantly reduced this is their biggest attempt at a cover-up yet?
I’d heard it had been halved, but there was no news so I assumed it was not true.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’ve just seen the Derbyshire schedule-
Two T20’s, two 50 over and six 3 day games, all against the Chairman’s XI and Board XI. :lol:
As I called it. There are no games against a franchise side so we won’t get to see how our FC cricket stacks up against England’s. :lol: :lol: They can’t afford anyone to see that.
All games in Bulawayo so they must stop moaning because they’re about to see more games than Harare will see in a while, the pink Streaky Rhodesians organizing games for Zimbabwe because through sheer incompetence, theft and maladministration our own board have squandered the money and opportunities handed to them on a plate by a couple of generations of hard working amateurs. The pink Hogg left us with $10 mill in the bank and somehow miraculously playing a full schedule of local and international games. If they got him to run the ship for a few years he could get another few million together and then they could steal it again? Worth a thought..

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:10 pm
If the ICC handout has been permanently significantly reduced this is their biggest attempt at a cover-up yet?
I’d heard it had been halved, but there was no news so I assumed it was not true.
My suspicion is that some of it went to pay back the debt they have with the GVT after they bailed them out in 2018. I don't see the ICC unilaterally just decreasing our allocation for no reason. They shouldn't have that kind of power because once you let it happen to 1 board you could easily be next. That 14 million dollar GVT debt is supposed to be paid back in full by 2023 if I remember correctly

I am honestly surprised they agreed to host 2 tests. They could only have been forced to. It just makes no financial sense