15 Man Test Squad Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 15 Man Test Squad Announced

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

This will be the weakest test opening partnership we have ever had.

Hope BT gots the stomach for coming in at 2/1.

And I hope that the only reason Moor was dropped was a combo of form and Morsi noortnstly missing Logan cup games by his own will.

I’m not liking the big names sitting out of the Logan cup whwn fit when they have no other cricket on.

Nyauchi has actually had a brilliant season so far and last. I was wondering why he never popped up in convo here.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 am
This will be the weakest test opening partnership we have ever had.
Yeah it's not promising. A couple of recent 80s from Kasuza is good enough to get you an opening spot?
Makes you wonder where are the likes of Mawoyo and Moor? Both only played one Logan Cup game and not scoring. Surely they only needed one good score to get a spot.

Maruma over Burl is ridiculous. Otherwise I like all the other selections.
Last edited by Mr Twig on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Kasuza and Masvaure deserve a shot in my opinion. They’ve been thereabouts for a long time and it would be good to have a look at them. They’ve lived in the shadow of Masakadza and Mire and Chari and Co for a long time.
Give them an extended go (two games against Sri Lanka and 2 against Derbyshire) and see how they do.
But if they fail they need to put the matter to bed.
Then the hierarchy are making noises about the u19’s that are doing well, they need to stop planting the seed via their giggling vitriolic sycophants and just grow a spine and stick them in and see how they do and get that out of the way, or one of them may surprise us, but personally doubt it. They must just be methodical about it abs see if we’ve got any openers that can hold their own.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

They stuck by Chari so long and when he finally made a score they dumped him.
Admittedly, was two years ago between tests.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

I can only assume that Moor has some sort of injury because there's no way you can drop the guy when he's averaging 35 in Tests.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Personally I’d throw big money at Welch and Byrom. There’s your openers there.

They would have their price.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

This should be the Playing XI

B Mudzinganyama
P Masvaure
C Ervine
B Taylor
S Raza
S Williams
K Kasuza ( wkb )
D Tiripano
A Ndlovu
K Jarvis
C Mumba

4 regular bowlers, 2 allrounders and 2 who can chip away with few overs and also can take wickets

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Kevin Kasuza averages 31 after 57 FC games. PJ Moor 33 after 57 FC games. Brian Chari 25 after 69 games. Prince 29 after 89 games. The difference between these guys is not as big as people think. The big miss is Burl who averages over 40. Considering the number of chances Chari and PJ have had its not a bad idea to give others a go. As it stands nobody owns those 2 opening spots.

kudet

Post by kudet »

Have been following Sean Joshua Bell on Twitter lately.. if you go through his tweets, he sort of hints that some of the guys (either Burl or Moor) had no contracts with ZC thats why they sort of skipped the series..

Having said that, i think we missed a trick by not picking PJ Moor in my opinion.. that guy brings a lot more stability to our frail middle order and can alternate between counter attacking or defensive.. me thinks his game is more suited to the long formats. Me thinks Sean wasnt overly happy with these omissions if he still sits in the selection meetings, i dont think its the team he wanted. I would have loved to hear how Dave Mutendera et al came to the conclusions of the selected XV and the criteria. If we lose the first test (which we are bound to anyways), there might be forced changes. but lets wait and see.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Bellboy is about as close to a selection panel as Makoni is to splitting an atom. :lol:
I’ve just seen on Burl’s post that he’d like to know why he was omitted after being recalled from Bangladesh, which means he’s been sold a dummy, which is just a little lesson to remind him who the bosses are. I keep telling you it’s only about power and control, nothing else!!
If you show any independence or initiative you take your medicine from deeply vindictive and spiteful people with huge chips on their shoulders and huge agendas.