Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by Googly »

Rohit Sharma opening on that deck would have been interesting :lol: There would have been blood half way up the sidescreens.
Im still not sure how they didn’t get the ball to swing, it was perfect conditions. The only ball that did anything was that high full toss that got Kasuza. A bail high swinging full toss is actually a bloody difficult delivery to deal with, I’m surprised it’s not a stock ball for bowlers.
I agree with Dog though, you can’t get to 50 on that deck against that attack and and not kick on, it will be a while before you get such batting friendly conditions again, but that was a great day for us nonetheless.
If the rain stays away Taylor and Ervine will basically experience very similar conditions and let’s see how they go. Ervine is looking pretty sharp, he’s only had 2 hundreds and he’s not ever going to get a better opportunity than this. High score of 160. No pressure.

Googly

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by Googly »

That slow run rate was also partly due to the outfield. The batsman who shall remain nameless got hold of a couple that didn’t even get close to the boundary. He needs a better spanner as well.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Here’s my prediction- the rain is going to shorten this game dramatically and everyone is going to have a go at the batters for not going at 4’s

SpitfiresKent
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Missed the last session as I fell asleep, I blame the slow batting! :D

Fully expecting BT and Ervine to cash in tomorrow, shame Kasuza couldn't kick on and get a hundred.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well The Nameless One was looking really good. Stupid shot, I reckon that plank of his has got a broken handle, absolute shit thing, sounds shit, looks shit and hits shit.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:08 pm
Well The Nameless One was looking really good. Stupid shot, I reckon that plank of his has got a broken handle, absolute shit thing, sounds shit, looks shit and hits shit.
I don’t get the ‘no name’ joke

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:09 pm
Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:08 pm
I don’t get the ‘no name’ joke
He’s now a symbol.
Attachments
A2B2C681-1A05-44F9-AF82-4192599B4570.jpeg
A2B2C681-1A05-44F9-AF82-4192599B4570.jpeg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I didn't see any of the action today but I don't understand why some are critical here. We should bat as long as possible in the first innings and aim to bat only once. The Sri Lanka's will be emotionally ground down if Zimbabwe bat for two entire days and rack up a big score. This Sri Lankan team is rather brittle and could fold when faced with a deficit of 400-500. Great to see a solid opening partnership for once! Let's hope Ervine, Taylor, and Williams score big tomorrow!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Free Spirit

Post by Free Spirit »

eugene wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:29 pm
I didn't see any of the action today but I don't understand why some are critical here. We should bat as long as possible in the first innings and aim to bat only once. The Sri Lanka's will be emotionally ground down if Zimbabwe bat for two entire days and rack up a big score. This Sri Lankan team is rather brittle and could fold when faced with a deficit of 400-500. Great to see a solid opening partnership for once! Let's hope Ervine, Taylor, and Williams score big tomorrow!
Test cricket is not about batting as long as possible it’s about putting up enough runs to in order to take 20 wickets. You could bat for 2 and a half days and post 280 and still lose. It doesn’t matter if the match finishes in 2 days, all we want is to win. If you are able to score at a decent rate and get 509 in a day and a half that gives you 3 and a half days to get 20 wickets. Wickets are more important than runs in test cricket. Good start from Zimbabwe hopefully they kick on and get beyond 400 tomorrow, weather permitting we could have a decent shot at winning

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

When you are Zimbabwe the first goal is to not lose. I doubt we will take 20 wickets on this pitch unless SL are really useless so essentially we bat for a draw.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes