Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
SpitfiresKent
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Jarvis sacrificed his pace for more accuracy, pretty sure he said so himself.

sloandog

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by sloandog »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:07 am
David Mutendera is right. We need fast bowlers. We have to many 125kph-135kph bowlers. Something needs to change. I can't even remember the last time I heard of a schoolboy destroying batsmen. All the same timid stuff. Chatara I understand he broke his leg but I wonder what made Jarvis lose 10kph. He isn't that old

I actually think fast bowlers are naturals. You can't make 1. Blessing is an example of how somebody can be picked from the wilderness and suddenly become a decent fast bowler. I am actually not against them going to the random rural areas chucking a ball at the kids and see who has a bit of spark. Batsmen are the ones who can be created with hard work and intelligence
Jarvis’ action negates the ability to bowl fast because he completely stops at the wicket. He has a lovely long, fluid run up and attacks the crease hard, but then he just stops completely.
Between 2009-13 he ran through the crease and jumped, enabling the momentum he built up to the crease to have an impact on how fast the ball was coming out.
It’s what you get when you come to Lancashire and see how green the wickets are. Swam and swing were probably what he was told to focus on opposed to out and out pace.

Brad Evans has some pace, if any of you have heard of him. Nasty fast bowler who plays at Loughborough. I faced him and he was sharp, and angry. He’d fit in perfectly here

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:07 am
David Mutendera is right. We need fast bowlers. We have to many 125kph-135kph bowlers. Something needs to change. I can't even remember the last time I heard of a schoolboy destroying batsmen. All the same timid stuff. Chatara I understand he broke his leg but I wonder what made Jarvis lose 10kph. He isn't that old

I actually think fast bowlers are naturals. You can't make 1. Blessing is an example of how somebody can be picked from the wilderness and suddenly become a decent fast bowler. I am actually not against them going to the random rural areas chucking a ball at the kids and see who has a bit of spark. Batsmen are the ones who can be created with hard work and intelligence
I think it was Streak and Campbell who embarked on a campaign to find a quick bowler from wherever. I’m not sure what happened to that drive? I think they were offering s reward. If they made it worthwhile you’d probably find Jarvis could crank it up :lol:
It was always a macho thing when we were kids and there were a lot of quick schoolboys around, now they just trundle in and turn their arms over. T20 has a bit to do with that as well because that’s the main format here nowadays and they bowl off a shortened runup to take pace off and to get through the overs.

Googly

Post by Googly »

A lot of quick bowlers are sliders and slingers, unless the guy has a lot of momentum a jumper often loses pace at the crease. Evans is at Cardiff. You always talk about his pace, but he’s not that quick I don’t think. He’s probably a bit quicker than anyone here, but he’s not 140. He gets it to nip and swing though.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:08 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:06 am
Williams' counter-attack is the right idea. You're toast if you jut try to block out 70 overs.
This I agree with. Attack to open up the field and then settle from there
BT and Williams are both naturally attacking players; and they like to hit the spinners. So it's a no-brainer, really. But it's always a thin line with them, particularly Williams, between being positive and trying to manufacture one reverse sweep too many and looking like a fool. We've seen it often enough ... but I agree, Williams starting to block is the last thing we need.

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

These two are sweeping for fun.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And a nasty bouncer.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I watched a game he played at Sussex and the keeper (first team keeper) stood up to him. That was the English subtle way of telling him he wasn’t welcome. He should have bowled a Beamer.

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

Googly, did there use to be big crowds at tests in the 90’s and do you watch it live much?

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

That looked close, I think BT has got away with one there.