Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Under the 6/170 at tea scenario, it relies on the tail being able to grind it out for an hour or so in the final session and just take overs out of the game. We can't really afford to let them bat again so we just need to get to that "hour to go" point and hope they find getting 3 or 4 wickets + batting again all too much.

Chakabva is a good guy to have at the crease right now, remember he and Cremer stonewalled WI a few years ago. If he can replicate that today we'll hold on I think.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I hate to say this, I’ve wondered this for a while, and kept it to myself because I don’t want idiots outside the forum carrying wind with it,
But does it feel a bit like BT is starting to show early signs of going the way of Hammy Masakadza?
Past his best?

He’s never been much a foot mover, but it kind of feels like the ball is catching him on the hop a lot. I predicted something like what happened today would happen.

Bowling attacks seem to slightly overwhelm him a bit now and he’s never been super fit, so age 34 in two weeks might be some signs of him ageing. Like it’s the beginning of a slide. Thai is basically the same time we saw Hammy start to slide.
A batsman starts to do mosh between 34 and 36 and it depends on their class how slow it is from there, so I have an awful feeling that in twelve months time we are going to be talking about BT going from our top bat to our 4th, and in 2 years 7th.

I hope it’s just rustiness.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

To be honest, we've got a serious problem with the makeup of the team (age wise). Who are our top Test batsmen? Taylor, Williams, Raza, Ervine, Chakabva? All about the same age. In the group below them, we've got Moor, Burl, etc who are nowhere near as accomplished as the first group. For all the potential Moor has, he's never even scored an international hundred. So I feel like no matter what happens we're in for a world of pain soon because the second tier of batsmen just aren't ready to take over from the current lot.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:28 am
To be honest, we've got a serious problem with the makeup of the team (age wise). Who are our top Test batsmen? Taylor, Williams, Raza, Ervine, Chakabva? All about the same age. In the group below them, we've got Moor, Burl, etc who are nowhere near as accomplished as the first group. For all the potential Moor has, he's never even scored an international hundred. So I feel like no matter what happens we're in for a world of pain soon because the second tier of batsmen just aren't ready to take over from the current lot.
That’s very true.

I hoped these guys peaks would carry to the ne t WC qualifiers, but BT MIGHT be starting to crack.

I have faith the other older guys can maintain it, the difference is they are fit.

But after the next WC campaign shits going to get very real.

The only answer I see is buying back the guys from England and blooding the cream of the under 19s from this year.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

I agree, we need to throw some U19's into the deep end 2004 style.

Emuldeniya is back on now, the pitch is starting to turn a bit now. The next half hour or so is make or break, we're just as like to lose 3/5 in the next little while as we are to crack on and get 0/30.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:36 am
I agree, we need to throw some U19's into the deep end 2004 style.

Emuldeniya is back on now, the pitch is starting to turn a bit now. The next half hour or so is make or break, we're just as like to lose 3/5 in the next little while as we are to crack on and get 0/30.
We can somewhat do it the right way, have them co play with the older guys. That’s the reason 2004 went wrong.

Give this under 19 team a season of Logan cup and propel them in 2021. Maybe earlier a tour to Singapore or some shit country to debut.

The other worrying (otherwise good) thing is the top 4 are tight in terms of friendship.

My knowledge of human nature makes me suspect that after working towards the 2023 WC, once one or two goes, they all will.

When your friends leave, you feel like the balloon has burst a bit, the band is over, and the dominos fall quick.
I see this in the workplace a lot. Tight teams fall apart very quickly after being a tight knit group for two years after the first person resigns. It’s never the same for them.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

This is the sort of innings that can really cement Chakabva's position in the team (at least the Test team), I think. A nice little 60* today and he becomes Mr Dependable.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Shumba madhevere Myers murray and burl there is our future batsmen there. I would certainly take the first two to Bangladesh next month. We need to start blooding the newer players before our side becomes like a remake of dad's army

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 am
Terryalderman wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:32 am
Googly seems to watch cricket for a living, England one week, South Africa the next and finally one in Zim! Maybe he’s an England selector?!
That’s gold.
I can picture Googly sitting in his vast underground den, the walls lined with Wisden's School Cricket Almanach, towers of unsold Bob Woolmer volumes on the floor, dozens of small screens simultaneously showing live feeds from every serious cricket playing school in England, SA and Zim, and a couple of super-large one's for Sky Sports.