Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by zimlover »

I would hate if they chased 25 runs and win the match

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by foreignfield »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:10 pm
It all comes down to this partnership. Can Tiripano and Chakabva make it to tea?
Our last three bats are realistically good for 10 runs max, so we really need Regis to get the 60 you mentioned and the Don to chip in with his usual 40-odd not-out.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

We are probably going to get the usual lack of game time speech. They should have never lost this match. These kind of situations are becoming tiring.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I wish they had sent in Tiripano when Masvaure fell. We shouldn't be afraid to try unorthodox tactics, like that time when we opened with Utseya and it sort of paid off.

It'll be pretty interesting if these guys can make it to tea. Because then it just becomes a numbers game... every over we survive is one less they have to chase whatever trivial score we set them. Minus two overs for the innings change. Then you leave the seamers on to take up as much time as possible and slow the game down, make lots of field changes... one of the advantages of being at a ground without floodlights, when it gets dark that's it.

Imagine if it came down to a 10 over chase, for 60 runs. It'd be interesting to see to what lengths, within reason of course, Williams would go to in order to slow things down.
TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:22 pm
We are probably going to get the usual lack of game time speech. They should have never lost this match. These kind of situations are becoming tiring.
I put it down to not batting long enough in the first innings. We make that same first innings total but we take an extra 20 overs to do it - there's no question that this game ends up as a draw. I don't know what Dirk is smoking on commentary, saying we should have attacked more in the first innings... if we make that same total in 20 overs less, Sri Lanka have already wrapped this game up as victors by now.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

How can someone get out stumped twice in a match like this where everyone else is trying to put a much higher price tag on their wicket? Raza's dismissals are bordering on Malcolm Waller levels.

If we lose today, the three most experienced guys - Taylor, Williams and Raza - their failures in both the digs must be a talking point. They got all the help from the openers too, so their failures make that even more of a sad reading.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Commentators are spot on about everything. We miss the simple things. We miss the key moments.

The new ball is due in about 8 or 9 overs. We should be knocking off these runs now so that if something does happen with the new ball, so we are not purely in strife. This is a terrible tactic right now. We can then be more cautious knowing we have a little buffer, even if minimal. It puts pressure bak on Sri Lanka because they will panic knowing that for them to win, they can't just take the wickets.

They'e also spot on about the slowness at the start, which they said was good initially, but then you need to up it to get to at least 200 by the end of the day, especially when you are only 2 down. In essence, this probably comes down toe 3 and whoever was with him from the openers to up that so it makes it easier for the guy at 4 coming in to continue it.

Before anyone says it only comes from playing more games, it's false. Yes more games are important, but you also learn these things in the nets, in team meetings, in domestic cricket. I can't tell you how many times players of top sides have learnt what they have from the nets or domestic cricket. How much they work on their technical and mental game outside of the international scene so they are better on it.

Oh man, the picking on Taylor, Raza and Williams has already started. But won't blame the actual problems.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I don’t really see much point in sending the Don up early, unless as a night watchmen on day 4.

Sending him in early today just means that Regis comes in at 8 instead of 7. What’s that achieve?

As for game strategy, at this point we do have to tighten BUT go the big shot here and there just to keep the field spread and not around the bat.

Whilst we are now in ‘don’t lose wickets’ mode, we can be very predictable if we just purely stonewall.

For every 10/11 runs we get ahead, we rob them of one over to chase the game down.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:40 pm
How can someone get out stumped twice in a match like this where everyone else is trying to put a much higher price tag on their wicket? Raza's dismissals are bordering on Malcolm Waller levels.

If we lose today, the three most experienced guys - Taylor, Williams and Raza - their failures in both the digs must be a talking point. They got all the help from the openers too, so their failures make that even more of a sad reading.
This is because people expect someone playing t20 and t10 cricket to come play 1 FC game and suddenly spend time at the crease. If I was ZC I would start refusing with NOCs during our domestic season. The 1 FC game he plays he was attacking too. Something has to change if we are to ever improve. Yes our Logan cup isn't the best but spending time out there is invaluable. It's not a surprise that the guys who were willing to spend time at the crease played a few rounds.

That being said BT and Williams did chip away at the lead which is good because pretty soon after tea extra runs will mean extra overs for Sri Lanka to bat. They kind of played a role.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:43 pm
Commentators are spot on about everything. We miss the simple things. We miss the key moments.

The new ball is due in about 8 or 9 overs. We should be knocking off these runs now so that if something does happen with the new ball, so we are not purely in strife. This is a terrible tactic right now. We can then be more cautious knowing we have a little buffer, even if minimal. It puts pressure bak on Sri Lanka because they will panic knowing that for them to win, they can't just take the wickets.

They'e also spot on about the slowness at the start, which they said was good initially, but then you need to up it to get to at least 200 by the end of the day, especially when you are only 2 down. In essence, this probably comes down toe 3 and whoever was with him from the openers to up that so it makes it easier for the guy at 4 coming in to continue it.

Before anyone says it only comes from playing more games, it's false. Yes more games are important, but you also learn these things in the nets, in team meetings, in domestic cricket. I can't tell you how many times players of top sides have learnt what they have from the nets or domestic cricket. How much they work on their technical and mental game outside of the international scene so they are better on it.

Oh man, the picking on Taylor, Raza and Williams has already started. But won't blame the actual problems.
My whole point from the back and forth with me and BRMT was to avoid this situation. Just from day one alone, we could have been 60 ahead by now safely.

Meaning get 100+ we would probably have saved the game.

Go slow tactics just don’t work over 5 days. Not with zim because we WILL collapse.

If anyone was bothered to read my history form last few days, I described this very scenario.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:49 pm
My whole point from the back and forth with me and BRMT was to avoid this situation. Just from day one alone, we could have been 60 ahead by now safely.

Meaning get 100+ we would probably have saved the game.

Go slow tactics just don’t work over 5 days. Not with zim because we WILL collapse.

If anyone was bothered to read my history form last few days, I described this very scenario.
Judging by how well our stroke-makers did, I would argue that SL would have already won the match. I still believe the action on day one was not a tactic but just, may I dare to use the word?, happend due to multiple factors already discussed ad nauseam.

From what glimpses I had at the stream it appears that the Don for one has actually tried to hit a few deliveries but has found the fielders each and every time.