Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by TapsC »

I guess the only realistic change with that squad would be Mumba for Ainsley. If Kazusa cant play then bring Burl in.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:47 pm
I guess the only realistic change with that squad would be Mumba for Ainsley. If Kazusa cant play then bring Burl in.
Seems reasonable to me. Williams is probably the best spinner in the country anyway.

If Kasuza's concussion doesn't ease up, we could bring Burl in and have him open. Let's see what he's made of. Gives us a leg spin option too.
Don't think Mudzi is ready yet, and we can't go back to Maruma - guy has a batting average of 10 for a reason.

Don't understand the anti-Chakabva sentiment. He batted appropriately, albeit could have farmed the strike better. But it's not his fault the middle order didn't come to the party. Automatic selection for the 2nd Test for me.

SpitfiresKent
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Drop the whole team for the next test and give a cap to the first 11 guys who walk through the turnstiles at HSC.

Did ZIM really lose that match or is this just a bad dream? :cry:

Googly

Post by Googly »

On Burl’s Twitter he’s having another op, this time to his stomach and groin. You’d think he’s in the MMA.
Hopefully they transplant a bigger set of gonads so he can stop ass kissing and make some runs.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:35 pm
On Burl’s Twitter he’s having another op, this time to his stomach and groin. You’d think he’s in the MMA.
Hopefully they transplant a bigger set of gonads so he can stop ass kissing and make some runs.
Was going to say Burl ain’t playing any time soon, he’s on the slab.

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Surely this now rules him out of the Bangladesh tour.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Despite the loss, I can't say how much I enjoyed the simple fact that Zim is back playing Test cricket. It was also a good experiment to watch the cricket on mute throughout--there were always enough forumites commentating to fill in the blanks left by cricinfo whenever I wasn't able to watch. I really appreciate that.

Sadly the Test played out in déja-vu mode from day two. Is it just me or did the Sri Lankan seamers bowl much better in our second innings?, like you would expect of a professional outfit. They clearly had their plans as one could see when both BT and Ervine chipped a ball to a fielder exactly positioned there for the shot. We lost this in the first innings because, as Taps already said, none of batters could get a big score and the middle order folded on day two with some cheap dismissals, especially against their SLA.

One sight that will haunt me is BT standing at slip, looking as unfit a professional sportsman as I have seen in a long time. Makes you wonder what he does for a living. It might sound like a cheap personal jibe (and I know he's never been super fit), but I see it more as a general symptom of how unprofessional everything around Zim's cricket is getting--obviously from the top down.

But I still love the team. Hope the boys can pick themselves up for the second Test.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:50 pm
Despite the loss, I can't say how much I enjoyed the simple fact that Zim is back playing Test cricket. It was also a good experiment to watch the cricket on mute throughout--there were always enough forumites commentating to fill in the blanks left by cricinfo whenever I wasn't able to watch. I really appreciate that.

Sadly the Test played out in déja-vu mode from day two. Is it just me or did the Sri Lankan seamers bowl much better in our second innings?, like you would expect of a professional outfit. They clearly had their plans as one could see when both BT and Ervine chipped a ball to a fielder exactly positioned there for the shot. We lost this in the first innings because, as Taps already said, none of batters could get a big score and the middle order folded on day two with some cheap dismissals, especially against their SLA.

One sight that will haunt me is BT standing at slip, looking as unfit a professional sportsman as I have seen in a long time. Makes you wonder what he does for a living. It might sound like a cheap personal jibe (and I know he's never been super fit), but I see it more as a general symptom of how unprofessional everything around Zim's cricket is getting--obviously from the top down.

But I still love the team. Hope the boys can pick themselves up for the second Test.
I alluded to that in an earlier post.

It’s one thing to be tubby when you’re the star player at 28 years old, but BT will be 34 in a week and a half.
Unfit, tunby and ageing won’t work well. He will need to look after himself to continue playing.
I watched him and it felt like BT but in slower motion, like the ball was quicker than he expected. Felt to me like he was slowing down.
The last person who was on that same trajectory was Hammy and that just got ugly.

Whereas on the opposite side Craig, who’s already 34, looks fit as a fiddle and the Craig of old. No doubt he will be top of his game still at 36.

Now that said, it could easily be explained that BT was in fact rusty against bowling above 130 and he will be back next game.

I won’t pretend to know the answer here for sure.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

All in all in wasn't a bad game by Zimbabwe. WIll be interesting to see how the conditions are for the 2nd game. Surely it will be played on a different strip(???)

But there was some good application shown by some of the batsmen. If they carry it forward, its going to make for a competitive Test match/series in Bangladesh in a few weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 pm

This is because people expect someone playing t20 and t10 cricket to come play 1 FC game and suddenly spend time at the crease. If I was ZC I would start refusing with NOCs during our domestic season. The 1 FC game he plays he was attacking too. Something has to change if we are to ever improve. Yes our Logan cup isn't reaking with incompetance the best but spending time out there is invaluable. It's not a surprise that the guys who were willing to spend time at the crease played a few rounds.

How can you refuse NOC during a domestic season when A) there was no schedule when the NOC was requested B) You can't pay the player their contract agreed money C) You can't even run the domestic competition

ZC taking a hard stand on players not playing Logan Cup is fine but only if they actually ruin the competition, I'm sure if they actually put out a schedule Moor wouldn't have booked an overseas trip, Jarvis wouldn't have booked his wedding during that time, Burl wouldn't have gone to the BPL.

The other thing is both Burl & Moor would have had 2 Logan Cup games prior to the Test series if ZC didn't cancel the matches, again it's poor administrating, ZC are blaming the players when in fact it's their short comings that are hindering the game once again.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement