Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by jaybro »

I mentioned it before and I do find it very funny to watch how people clearly have their favourites or agendas and wait for the right time to use one performance to lay the boot into someone they don't like in a Politically correct way

The suggestion to drop Jarvis is surely a gee up? This was his 1st wicket-less Test ever and he bowled a mountain of overs and was really unlucky to not get a few wickets

The idea that it was the slow batting on Day 1 from the openers that cost us was also ridiculous, poor batting on Day 2, an average bowling lineup plus a dead pitch and poor batting on Day 5 is what killed us

Saying Raza should be dropped is again ridiculous, he scored runs and took wickets and although it might not have been the performance some might have hoped from him I think that has more to do with higher expectations because of his past heroics. In comparison Raza scored more runs and took more wickets than Tiripano but nobody is calling for Donald to be dropped because our expectations aren't as high.

Looking at the overall numbers (of the top 8 ) the out put was pretty much even runs wise

Prince 55 & 17 total 72

Kasuza & Mudzy 63 & 16 total 79

Ervine 85 & 7 total 92

BT 21 & 38 total 59

Williams 18 & 39 total 57 2 wickets

Raza 41 & 17 total 58 3 wickets

Regis 8 & 26 total 34

Tiripano 44 & 6 total 50 1 wicket
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by zimbos_05 »

Difficult thing with being in Aus is waking up and finding like 15 new pages of unread things. I picked out those I did read properly.
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:49 pm
My whole point from the back and forth with me and BRMT was to avoid this situation. Just from day one alone, we could have been 60 ahead by now safely.

Meaning get 100+ we would probably have saved the game.

Go slow tactics just don’t work over 5 days. Not with zim because we WILL collapse.

If anyone was bothered to read my history form last few days, I described this very scenario.
This was exactly the point I was making earlier. The test is not won on the last day, it is won in each different moment. By Regis and Donald opting to block everything, SL knew they were not going to play shots, so they could crowd the batsman and constantly attack. This puts pressure on the batsmen. You need to put pressure on the bowlers. This is why that slow run rate in the first innings cost us a bit, because SL knew that with a few quick wickets in that innings, they would still have us at a fairly low total.
TapsC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 pm

This is because people expect someone playing t20 and t10 cricket to come play 1 FC game and suddenly spend time at the crease. If I was ZC I would start refusing with NOCs during our domestic season. The 1 FC game he plays he was attacking too. Something has to change if we are to ever improve. Yes our Logan cup isn't the best but spending time out there is invaluable. It's not a surprise that the guys who were willing to spend time at the crease played a few rounds.

That being said BT and Williams did chip away at the lead which is good because pretty soon after tea extra runs will mean extra overs for Sri Lanka to bat. They kind of played a role.
I don't think Raza has changed his game in any way. He has always been a busy player regardless of the format. You can't ask players to spend time at the crease in domestic competitions when they are only playing 1 game or none at all. You also can't be issuing NOC's when the domestic comp is an utter shambles. You can't be making these demands unless the actual problem is fixed.

zimlover wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:51 pm
So Jarvis is untouchable on this Forum?, everyone else gets to cope some slack,but you can’t touch Jarvis?

On a side note,I don’t think it’s personal, I usually like to opposite jinx him but each time I jinx him he gets out quick and easy😉
No, Jarvis is up for scrutiny but he is not a batsman. Hence, no one expects him to hang around or score big. He is a bowler, and probably the best one we have. You know very well who should be up for scrutiny.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Zimlover is calling for Jarvis’ exclusion and there’s a good chance of that. ZC’s “no sacred cows” statement means they want to hand out respect lessons and he might be replaced by Tshuma or Mumba. Mutindira mentioned they were looking for pace and one of these two is likely to get a game.
You can’t get all the top guys to “learn respect” at the same time or we won’t have a team so the big 3 may have to wait a bit longer for their lesson.
I don’t think we will see Ainsley again and Hammy and his boss will need to decide whether Chisoro is respectful enough yet because he’s the logical choice, not that logic plays a part. :lol:

Another dilemma is what deck to prepare. We should have drawn that game and they need to decide if we’re only good enough to draw and do the same or do they go spicier to help Mumba/Tshuma (or both?), Nyauchi and Tiripano? The downside being our fragile batting may fold and leave us with vegetables on our faces (we’ve been told to eat vegetables these days :lol:).

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Jarvis has been a model employee since his return I doubt he needs to be taught a lesson.

Nyauchi and Tiripano are very similar bowlers and also not too different from Jarvis, so if you want to change it up who do you drop?

Tiripano keeps getting selected because of his batting and his whole hearted efforts but facts are he averages nearly 50 with the ball in Test cricket.

They can’t really produce a big turning pitch now because Cremer is gone, although Raza & Williams become a lot more dangerous on a spinning deck, the issue is they won’t out spin Sri Lanka.

The Sri Lankan batsman don’t like the ball bouncing up near their throats, that’s the best way to bowl them out cheaply on a hard & fast deck. The issue being the Zimbabwe boys won’t like it either and sadly Sri Lanka have a more threatening attack.

Mutendera is right Zimbabwe need to unearth some fast bowlers, military mediums like Tiripano & Nyauchi aren’t going to worry the best batsman in the world. People always say ‘Glenn McGrath wasn’t fast nor could he swing the ball, but he did alright’ but in truth he’s the only guy to bowl straight 125K darts and be successful ever !!!

Googly

Post by Googly »

He got married when he should have been playing our three game Makoni Cup season. I wonder if he invited any of the ZC hierarchy for free food and drinks? It will be the only thing that saves him. Johnny Walker green and cream soda on their table and he will be assured of a few more games.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There’s no one really quick in our system from 14 years old upwards so they’re not unearthing anybody, unless the Muzarabani Academy has produced.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:31 am
sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:08 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: Who’s the legend who’s created the ZCF twitter page?! Who ever it is has just taken a massive swipe at Frank Mawoza! :lol: It’s made my day
Is it you?
That comment sounded like Sloandog or jaybro.
Hahah that 1st line about an average comment from an average bloke is definitely something I would say, I often call out people with the 'average bloke' sledge.

But no it's not me, I am on twitter though I stay away from commenting on Zimbabwe cricket related tweets, I usually focus my attention on Rugby League as I do some writing for a Rugby League Website, I also tweet about Tottenham and sometimes Australia Cricket

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:37 am
I mentioned it before and I do find it very funny to watch how people clearly have their favourites or agendas and wait for the right time to use one performance to lay the boot into someone they don't like in a Politically correct way

The suggestion to drop Jarvis is surely a gee up? This was his 1st wicket-less Test ever and he bowled a mountain of overs and was really unlucky to not get a few wickets

The idea that it was the slow batting on Day 1 from the openers that cost us was also ridiculous, poor batting on Day 2, an average bowling lineup plus a dead pitch and poor batting on Day 5 is what killed us

Saying Raza should be dropped is again ridiculous, he scored runs and took wickets and although it might not have been the performance some might have hoped from him I think that has more to do with higher expectations because of his past heroics. In comparison Raza scored more runs and took more wickets than Tiripano but nobody is calling for Donald to be dropped because our expectations aren't as high.

Looking at the overall numbers (of the top 8 ) the out put was pretty much even runs wise

Prince 55 & 17 total 72

Kasuza & Mudzy 63 & 16 total 79

Ervine 85 & 7 total 92

BT 21 & 38 total 59

Williams 18 & 39 total 57 2 wickets

Raza 41 & 17 total 58 3 wickets

Regis 8 & 26 total 34

Tiripano 44 & 6 total 50 1 wicket
The stats are even but there is no context to them. For example with Raza. He gave away a his wicket twice in the exact same way when the game was tight. Don't forget these are not pub cricketers like us, they actually get paid a lot of money to be out there. There is absolutely no excuse for that. He has made a nice life for himself through cricket. There is nothing wrong with fans demanding accountability.

We tend to defend guys just for just. Im not saying discard him forever but if you look at how he has been dismissed in the last few test matches its almost identical. If he doesnt want to play test cricket then he should just say so. This was a flat deck. There was no need for any of that. I think there are 2 things that are unacceptable in test batting. Double stepping and missing the ball is 1. A run out is the second. He did it twice. With no consequences he will do it again next week and people will just say oh no it's his natural game. If that's the case then he shouldn't play test cricket. It's like when Mire played that test in Sri Lanka.

Add amount of time spent at the crease and you will add more context.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

We will need to ask ourselves will these guys be there for the 2022 qualifiers. If not then they should be dropped when they screw up. What's the point of using kid gloves on somebody who will walk away a year before world cup anyway?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well there you go- KJ and Raza out and Mumba and someone else in.