Logan Cup R4 2019/20 Mountaineers v ACHPP & Rhinos v Tuskers

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan Cup R4 2019/20 Mountaineers v ACHPP & Rhinos v Tuskers

Post by jaybro »

tawac wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:15 am
Tuskers off to a horrible start possible 24/4 perhaps Madziva also making a case for himself for that allrounder spot.
His 1st class record is really good to be fair, hasn't got much of a bowl this season with Chisoro, Mavuta & Mumba doing all the damage

Would he have offered more than Mutombodzi in the Test?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Does it seem strange to anyone that in a town as big as Bulawayo there's not at least one or two white guys playing club cricket somewhere competing for a FC spot? Even if it's just to have a bit of fun a few days a month and get a Cricinfo page, because obviously nobody would be doing it for the money.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 am
tawac wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:15 am
Tuskers off to a horrible start possible 24/4 perhaps Madziva also making a case for himself for that allrounder spot.
His 1st class record is really good to be fair, hasn't got much of a bowl this season with Chisoro, Mavuta & Mumba doing all the damage

Would he have offered more than Mutombodzi in the Test?
With a pitch like that I think they were right to look at another spin option--and who knows whether they knew Williams was under the weather?

They should have kissed and made up with Chisoro instead; but obviously that's not their forte, to put it mildly. An emergency call to SA to get Shumba in to bowl his SLA was also a stretch given the limited time between the Tests. And then Burl had his op.

But Mutombodzi really has regressed into a part-timer even at domestic FC level over the last few seasons, Marumaesque. In my opinion he's not a good enough batsman to warrant a place in the side in the short, middle and long term if his bowling does not improve leaps and bounds, something I have limited hope for,given the fact that is hasn't gotten any better since his debut years ago.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:13 am

But Mutombodzi really has regressed into a part-timer even at domestic FC level over the last few seasons, Marumaesque. In my opinion he's not a good enough batsman to warrant a place in the side in the short, middle and long term if his bowling does not improve leaps and bounds, something I have limited hope for,given the fact that is hasn't gotten any better since his debut years ago.
Yeah I remember when he debuted against the Windies in 2013 he looked like he was going to be a good bowler, he looks rubbish now

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

A blob for PJ.....c’mon lad get it together!🥵🥵

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 am
Does it seem strange to anyone that in a town as big as Bulawayo there's not at least one or two white guys playing club cricket somewhere competing for a FC spot? Even if it's just to have a bit of fun a few days a month and get a Cricinfo page, because obviously nobody would be doing it for the money.
Doesn't Bulawayo have a sizeable white population?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I look at all scorecards of matches played in Zimbabwe via crichq.com

The only time you will see white players is at school matches, there are zero in club land apart from Diplock

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

21 wickets fell on day 1 :shock:

Googly

Post by Googly »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:12 am
How big do you think Bulawayo is, Bud? Do you know how many white guys actually live there?

Googly

Post by Googly »

I always enjoy doing these sums to horrify myself.
There are basically three schools with white kids there-
CBC, Whitestone and Falcon. Falcon probably has 250 white kids at most, and that’s a stretch. Multiply that by 3. That’s 750 kids. Assume 2 parents per kid, we’re at a grand total of 2250. Double that for grannies, grandpas and and 1000 for hillbillies in them thar hills :lol: .
I don’t reckon there’s more than 6000 pinkies there. :lol:
When the pink kids leave school the vast majority leave the country if they are able. The black kids are no different. Any parents who can afford Uni send their kids out and most never come back.
These are our “elite” kids, the guys and girls with a good education and a head start in life and would make a big difference to our economy.
Whoever mentioned Diplock was right, one white guy in the whole country that plays club cricket, and believe me he’s the absolute last we will ever see. He’s like that last Northern Rhino that died a few months back. The last of his species. They should make a Diplock Memorial Cup.