Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Post by Googly »

And as somebody pointed out they then want players to commit to Logan Cup? There’s only a small handful of players that are good enough to make a living elsewhere in a comparatively small career window and they don’t want them to do that. In fact there’s not many guys good enough to even get a low paying club gig. It’s going to be very interesting to see whether our FC players accept this. I don’t know what they get paid anymore but I suspect not much. I don’t think they could afford to accept a 30-50% pay-cut at all. This sounds like it’s more aimed at the centrally contracted guys and perhaps a couple of the higher paid staff.
If your bog standard FC player could get a job paying U$500 a month I don’t think they’d be playing cricket.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:17 am
Looks like BD-ZIM series may well be cancelled due to a player strike.
Zimbabwe players?

I haven’t seen anything to suggest a strike
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:37 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:58 pm
jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:45 pm
Why are we presuming BT & KJ are still on these special deals??

October 2017 they came back that’s 2.5 years ago they signed those deals, how long were these deals for??
4 years,
But I believe there’s some clause at the 3 years mark. Someone here was talking about it the other day.
One of the bazillion usernames with zim in them.
Oh I see

smart boys got themselves nice deals

Feel for the rest of the guys
Well it begs the question why you feel for them. They stood in unity with the Board a very short time ago and they’ve been handed their 27th painful lesson in a row and still the learning curve is a flat line. When you defend who controls the cricket it comes at a big price for the foot soldiers. The senior officers and generals are never in the trenches, they’re in the big tent under a tree sipping martinis. I suppose they were briefly proud that they’d prevented a hostile take over, but pride don’t pay the rent.
I think the real fear that gripped most was that cricket would have been run efficiently and well, that holds all kinds of terrors.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Googly wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:42 am
Well it begs the question why you feel for them. They stood in unity with the Board a very short time ago and they’ve been handed their 27th painful lesson in a row and still the learning curve is a flat line. When you defend who controls the cricket it comes at a big price for the foot soldiers. The senior officers and generals are never in the trenches, they’re in the big tent under a tree sipping martinis. I suppose they were briefly proud that they’d prevented a hostile take over, but pride don’t pay the rent.
I think the real fear that gripped most was that cricket would have been run efficiently and well, that holds all kinds of terrors.

That’s fair and it backs my point that people Zim don’t care who’s in charge they only care what colour they are, the Black players would have been better off under DEB 100% but as you said you reap what you sew.

In saying this I still feel for the players having their salaries most likely halved, not all of the players would have backed Mukuhlani and his mates
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:47 am
Chatara or Jarvis or Cremer or Blessing .....
Would have won the series if these 4 were playing.

I’m sorry but you’re not taking 20 wickets with a bowling attack that consists of: Mumba, Tiripano, Nyauchi and Mutombodzi. These guys might be able to boss it in the premier Logan cup but not at test level.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

This pay cut is horrible. I wonder how many of the top bosses are taking a pay cut too.

I feel for those who have given their all and constantly get shafted. Also feel for those who have stood up many times.

Can't really feel for those who continue to back this shambles of a board. Hammy also has to take a lot of blame. He has led a lot of guys to slaughter here all to save to his position.

ZC will play the whole ICC cut of funding up so much and that this board is fixing mistakes of those in the past, but we all know that is not true. They could have easily fixed this a few months ago, but refused.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Why are the salaries being cut and why has the ICC not released the funds? Genuine question. Maybe somebody has more information

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Not saying I agree and the players lack of guts have hung themselves, but they were faced with a choice. Call for change and risk not getting paid at all.

I think what may have been a factor is they realised the takeover bid was unlikely to succeed.
Fuck I hope that’s what it was, cowardice over outward support.

I think the DEB ticket should target the next elections. If the government is backing them they can win.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

I have a gut feeling that this pay cut is going to have some repercussions. There is a little bit of justice here..just a bit. Employees will be feeling mightily aggrieved around about now. There should have been a bit of quid pro quo after supporting a bunch of incompetent thieves and this is not how you’re supposed to give thanks for being kept in the manner to which you’ve become accustomed. There surely must be a tiny little fragile communal spine amongst these sad fellows and they should be thinking-this isn’t what we were told how it would roll after we helped stave off the Pink Imperialist onslaught.
They won’t be able to arrive at this conclusion individually of course, I don’t think that’s possible, sheep need leaders. I think they’ll have to meet and mutter and confirm with one another that they have in fact been dry humped like $2 hookers at a mining convention.
ZC will then have to send someone in not wearing a shiny suit and pointy shoes and try and get them to believe the bullshit that they’re all in this together. It’s early days and Hammy perhaps hasn’t got the shiny outfit yet so the timing may be good. The Pink card works, but it was played last hand. Let’s see what happens...

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Masakadza has shown himself to be a real wet lettuce