Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Sri Lanka 2020 | 2nd Test | Harare

Post by zimbos_05 »

I think Hammy keeps a lot of these guys in line so to speak. He does the bidding for the board and can threaten the players. When he was being interviewed during the test, he didn't fill me with much confidence as a man who has a plan or knows what needs to be done. I guess only time will tell on that.

If Sean Bell is to be believed, their have been pay cuts regularly for a long time now, so clearly the board has been mismanaging funds for some time too because if ZC are to be believed, the cuts from ICC have only happened now, and not previously.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well Hamilton is now on the other side of the fence. He knows how it rolls and knows who the current players are that have influence that will keep the boys all pulling together. If they do actually halve this month’s salary it’s going to cause problems. The only thing keeping the wheels on is the fact that ZC have cleverly made it apparent that players will be picked on current form. There’s everything to play for over the next 5 games, then it’s end of season and everyone basically reconvenes in October and ZC will judge the mood then. Well worked by them, but lean times between now and Oct for the guys that didn’t make it. There’s only a couple of slots available so it is a bit of a lotto, but that’s why poor people waste money on lotto and Bingo.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:35 am
Well Hamilton is now on the other side of the fence. He knows how it rolls and knows who the current players are that have influence that will keep the boys all pulling together. If they do actually halve this month’s salary it’s going to cause problems. The only thing keeping the wheels on is the fact that ZC have cleverly made it apparent that players will be picked on current form. There’s everything to play for over the next 5 games, then it’s end of season and everyone basically reconvenes in October and ZC will judge the mood then. Well worked by them, but lean times between now and Oct for the guys that didn’t make it. There’s only a couple of slots available so it is a bit of a lotto, but that’s why poor people waste money on lotto and Bingo.
So much cricket before October through. Ireland are touring, we are going to Australia, hosting India and the Dutch all before October.

The players know that they will earn good money if they play in these games plus tour allowances. We are now in an era of match fees being more important than salaries.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya for sure, but what about the FC guys? They’ve now converted our system by sleight of hand into an amateur one, these guys have been duped.
15 guys will make a living and the rest are looking for part time jobs. It’s not a bad thing, it’s more or less how our cricket started and I think the lads will now start to appreciate the sacrifices that were made before. If they can get the national guys to play for free as well then we will really have come a full circle. Now we’re talking really big money for the big dogs in Admin. Someone may even be eyeing a helicopter as a company vehicle.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:54 am
Ya for sure, but what about the FC guys? They’ve now converted our system by sleight of hand into an amateur one, these guys have been duped.
15 guys will make a living and the rest are looking for part time jobs. It’s not a bad thing, it’s more or less how our cricket started and I think the lads will now start to appreciate the sacrifices that were made before. If they can get the national guys to play for free as well then we will really have come a full circle. Now we’re talking really big money for the big dogs in Admin. Someone may even be eyeing a helicopter as a company vehicle.
I agree, we need to return to having 15-20 national team cricketers on good contracts with the rest being amateurs. Will encourage more players to go to the UK in the off season and act as an incentive.

The only concerning issue is the number of players heading to Australia in our domestic season, they will not be picked. Tsiga, Innocent Kaia, Mushangwe, Little Maruma, Tara Mupurwira and all in Australia at the moment.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya people will be looking at cricket as an escape route from Zim even to find another means of staying in places like Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland and Netherlands.
Times are extremely hard here, this amateur cricket the Rhodies used to play was because they had livable incomes at the same time. I can tell you for sure that most of the FC and club guys are absolutely on the breadline or unemployed. I just don’t know how they do it or get by. Anyone in another part of the world that thinks they’re struggling just needs to see how the guys here battle to survive to get a reality check. We are probably the most subjugated people on the planet outside of a war zone, and people somehow accept it cheerfully. It’s surreal.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I actually don’t mind the top 15 being paid well and the rest being paid shit. The players don’t below haven’t earned it.
Firstly, they backed the board. All that stuff Googku and Zimbo5 remind us of. Fuck those weak cunts. They had their chance

Secondly and more important, your average Logan cup player is not a first class player anywhere else.
It’s a small cricketing community.
Who’s the most run of the mill Logan cup player?
Chiruumuta?
If he comes to England or Oz he would be LUCKY to get a minuscule contract with a club team. He ain’t getting first class cricket or a cricinfo page anywhere else. Be happy cunt. Not a go a go at him personally, more the player quality.

When you view the Logan cup through the lens of just a high level club scene, things make more sense.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

So gutted to have missed these tests. The fires had damaged my coverage so I couldn't get access.

Glad to see we had some fight in us from a variety of angles.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

Who’s the most run of the mill Logan cup player?
Chiruumuta?

If this was a poll, I'd go for Remembrance Nyathi. He's been around since 2007 (before franchise cricket) with a very ordinary record. Mind you, he has 4 FC centuries & a cricinfo page. I don't.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:40 am
So gutted to have missed these tests. The fires had damaged my coverage so I couldn't get access.

Glad to see we had some fight in us from a variety of angles.
So sorry to hear that , Jemisi. I was wondering where you were.

I hope the fires didn't do much more damage than that, i.e. to you, your home, your family etc.