2020 Under-19 World Cup | Pace Watch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: 2020 Under-19 World Cup | Pace Watch

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:07 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:35 am
jaybro wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Yeah no real outstanding bowling prospects in this years side except maybe the leggie Sangha

The batting has some bright prospects in Fraser-McGuirk & Mackenzie Harvey
I don't think the Aussies really grab their quicks from the U-19 level. What I mean is its probably been Mitchell Starc who was the last Aussie U-19 quick to be bowling at express pace. Obviously, there is no shortage of express bowlers in Australia.
Yeah you could be right, I don’t remember seeing the current lot playing much U19 stuff, generally if you’re quick at 19 you’re playing Sheffield shield
Watching the QF vs India...

Sully bowling around 130-134
Willans a yard slower at 128 but bowling an immaculate line and length whilst swinging the new ball prodigiously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Disappointing pace from the BD quicks.

137 from Tanzim and 134 from Shoriful. Shoriful though looks to be ready for the senior team. Tanzim just turned 17, so still needs some more time.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I honestly do think it's fantastic that Bangladesh have kids at 17 and 18 bowling that fast.
I wish Taskin has kicked on, he could have been/still could be a superstar

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:07 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:35 am
jaybro wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Yeah no real outstanding bowling prospects in this years side except maybe the leggie Sangha

The batting has some bright prospects in Fraser-McGuirk & Mackenzie Harvey
I don't think the Aussies really grab their quicks from the U-19 level. What I mean is its probably been Mitchell Starc who was the last Aussie U-19 quick to be bowling at express pace. Obviously, there is no shortage of express bowlers in Australia.
Yeah you could be right, I don’t remember seeing the current lot playing much U19 stuff, generally if you’re quick at 19 you’re playing Sheffield shield
I distinctly remember Pat Cummins bowling over 150 at 17.
Kids at my old school were petrified they would have to face him on synthetic turf as their school was in the same sporting comp as my old school.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm
I honestly do think it's fantastic that Bangladesh have kids at 17 and 18 bowling that fast.
Both Tanzim and Shoriful were bowling around 130 on average. That's nothing to write home about pace wise. That being said, Shoriful is a tremendous potential, and having seen him for the first time live today, I think he's ready for the senior side. I would throw him in for the Pakistan Test, but I'm crazy like that. I know the selectors won't do that, and its probably the right move. But I really hope he gets a go in the ZIM ODI series. This was my assessment - albeit from just 1 game - on the BD under-19 boys based on this game:

Tanzid Hasan Tamim
Bats much like his namesake. I thought he was just a slogger based on his lowish average of 30 at 100+ strike rate but looks quite compact technique wise and seems to have excellent temperament. Could be a game-breaking player.

Towhid Hridoy
Solid accumulator and I think he can fill the Mahmudullah role. Was very much a second (nay third) fiddle in this game, and yet he made a very decent half century at a point in the innings where BD needed stability. The ability to quietly score runs and go virtually unnoticed is a positive trait in and of itself.

Shahadat Hossain
Seems able to bat in all gears. Took 10 balls to get off the mark, yet finished his innings at nearly a run a ball.

Akbar Ali
Dropped an absolute sitter early so I can't comment on his WK skills, but he seems to be clutch player. Also the fact that BD opened with a spinner for the first time in 4 games, indicates that he doesn't just use CTRL + V to come up with his game plan.

Shoriful Islam
No real pace (80-83 mph) but accurate, can get bounce using his 6'3" frame to good effect, and most importantly can move the ball, at least into the left hander (away from a rightie). Already has 8 first class and 26 List A caps under his belt. Kid's ready for the national team, IMO.

Rakibul Hasan
I was most impressed by this kid. Took a hattrick vs Scotland, and followed up with a Pheiffer in a knock-out match against the 2014 World Champs. Flighted the ball beautifully, bowled immaculate lines and inerrant lengths, and seemed to bowl with guile as well. I think he's easily the best SLA talent from Bangladesh since Shakib in 2006.

Tanzim Hasan Sakib
A bit quicker than Shoriful perhaps, and took 2 important wickets, but IMO he doesn't look like an international quality quick, granted thats what I said about Abu Jayed who is now the leader of our Test attack. Still barely 17, so he has time to develop his game, and managed to clock a delivery at 85 mph which is fairly impressive gas for a kid so young.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 am
sloandog wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm
Both Tanzim and Shoriful were bowling around 130 on average. That's nothing to write home about pace wise. That being said, Shoriful is a tremendous potential, and having seen him for the first time live today, I think he's ready for the senior side. I would throw him in for the Pakistan Test, but I'm crazy like that. I know the selectors won't do that, and its probably the right move. But I really hope he gets a go in the ZIM ODI series. This was my assessment - albeit from just 1 game - on the BD under-19 boys based on this game:

Tanzid Hasan Tamim
Bats much like his namesake. I thought he was just a slogger based on his lowish average of 30 at 100+ strike rate but looks quite compact technique wise and seems to have excellent temperament. Could be a game-breaking player.

Towhid Hridoy
Solid accumulator and I think he can fill the Mahmudullah role. Was very much a second (nay third) fiddle in this game, and yet he made a very decent half century at a point in the innings where BD needed stability. The ability to quietly score runs and go virtually unnoticed is a positive trait in and of itself.

Shahadat Hossain
Seems able to bat in all gears. Took 10 balls to get off the mark, yet finished his innings at nearly a run a ball.

Akbar Ali
Dropped an absolute sitter early so I can't comment on his WK skills, but he seems to be clutch player. Also the fact that BD opened with a spinner for the first time in 4 games, indicates that he doesn't just use CTRL + V to come up with his game plan.

Shoriful Islam
No real pace (80-83 mph) but accurate, can get bounce using his 6'3" frame to good effect, and most importantly can move the ball, at least into the left hander (away from a rightie). Already has 8 first class and 26 List A caps under his belt. Kid's ready for the national team, IMO.

Rakibul Hasan
I was most impressed by this kid. Took a hattrick vs Scotland, and followed up with a Pheiffer in a knock-out match against the 2014 World Champs. Flighted the ball beautifully, bowled immaculate lines and inerrant lengths, and seemed to bowl with guile as well. I think he's easily the best SLA talent from Bangladesh since Shakib in 2006.

Tanzim Hasan Sakib
A bit quicker than Shoriful perhaps, and took 2 important wickets, but IMO he doesn't look like an international quality quick, granted thats what I said about Abu Jayed who is now the leader of our Test attack. Still barely 17, so he has time to develop his game, and managed to clock a delivery at 85 mph which is fairly impressive gas for a kid so young.

Reason for Bangladesh struggle in test cricket is because of not picking performers from domestic cricket. Some of their seniors who expressed openly on not liking test cricket should be dropped and make them concentrate on shorter formats.

While going through domestic stats seniors and former bangladeshi representatives like Naeem Islam, Raqibul, Anamul scoring plenty of runs in domestic format. Taibur Rehman looks another good prospect. Abdur Razzaq continue to sign, he is better then Taijul against strong opposition.Taskin has also taken some wickets. Mahedi Rana can be a good addition with ability to swing both the ways.

Experience has huge say in test cricket and seeing their stats in 2019-20 these players should be picked for Test in Pakistan

Would like to go with this Playing XI in Pindi Test

S Sarkar, T Iqbal, Mominul, Taibur Rehman, Nayeem Islam, Mahmudullah, Liton Das, Abdur Razzaq, Ebadat, Mehedi Rana, Abu Jayed
Robo to rule :oops:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Shoriful looking unplayable vs NZ. Seam, swing, bounce. Clocking up to 138 kph here. Decent pace by BD standards.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Tanzim reaching 139 today.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Overall I’ve been watching this comp closely and there is some serious talent coming through from most countries , Bangladesh , India and Afghanistan look to have the most raw talent on show . Australia have 2 players who will play cricket for Australia regularly in the future and one of them isn’t even in the squad . Jayden Goodwin ( joke he’s not in the team)and sangha the leg spinner , slows his pace down and lets it rip . Sangha to me is Australia’s brightest prospect in a long long time , a good leg spinner is the most destructive weapon in cricket and he has all the tricks . Plus showed he can bat under pressure in a run chase , potential leader as well with great cricket intelligence . Young Fraser mc-guirk has already played and made 50s in domestic cricket for Victoria before even turning 18 , kid is special . The most impressive player at the tournament for me so far is the Indian opening right arm bowler I forget his name but my lord to be bowling that smart and sharp at that age he could be anything.
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Poor death bowling by Shoriful. Excellent death bowling by Tanzim. Tanzim was consistently bowling at 137 which is impressive for a guy who just turned 17. Wonder if he clocked 140 at all. Got up to 139.

Shoriful bowled mostly in the 132 range, although he too got a few in the late 130s. Needs to work on his death bowling.