Shocking !!! Chamu chibhabha named as odi and t20 captain

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Shocking !!! Chamu chibhabha named as odi and t20 captain

Post by Googly »

What do you know about the ongoing legal wrangle with Croco, Taps?

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:13 am
I doubt there will be a strike this time. 3/4 of the team are fighting for their place. It's really hard out there. the selectors have vowed again to pick guys based on form. Only 3 or 4 guys are automatic picks.

PJ has a chance if Williams misses the test. In fact he is the best bet and i just read Maruma and Mutombodzi are injured so there won't be any weird picks. Burl is injured too. I don't see anybody else who can do the job unless they make Chari open and mpve Prince down the order.
Well the reality is that only a few guys are fighting for a spot and the rest of them are an unpaid support group with some promise of money in Oct. It won’t end well for them, they’re being played nicely.

Googly

Post by Googly »

They’re all pulling together to save cricket from the chaos caused by three or four people so the same people can stay at the helm so they can continue mismanaging and draining the system?

Googly

Post by Googly »

The only card ZC had to play during the abortive coup was that good ‘ol pink get out of jail free card. It was an expensive one- so far it’s cost $4 million USD green :lol: :lol: and nobody has blinked an eye.
Is anyone other than me wondering if we would have been at least $4m better off under a new administration.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If I was Sean Williams I’d get my wife on the plane and get my firstborn a Bangladeshi passport, has to be worth a shit load more than the Green Mamba. :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

He’d (assuming he) grow up with some cricket to look forward to.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/perform-an ... -mutendera
Brighton Zhawi
Sports Reporter

ZIMBABWE Cricket convenor of selectors David Mutendera has challenged players to perform and get picked as his committee looks to reap from a six-year plan to get Zimbabwe competitive again.

The selectors picked five debutants in their recent two Test series against Sri Lanka.

The move raised some eyebrows.

However, Mutendera has defended the stance, arguing that their new system is anchored on a clear “perform and play” basis.

“Our job is to identify players to represent the nation at the highest level,” said Mutendera.

He heads a panel that includes Shepherd Makunura, Gavin Ewing and Prosper Utseya.

The Chevrons are onto their next assignment – a single Test, three ODIs and two T20s away series to Bangladesh. The squad is expected to be announced this week.

The first leg of the tour has been slated for February 22 to 26, which will be the one-off Test.

“The squad will be announced soon, but I can tell you we have a system of focusing on current form on the domestic circuit or recent international matches.

“We cannot have the same old system and expect different results, we have to go with the best players at any given time,” he said.

Zimbabwe’s squad could see some changes after Kyle Jarvis missed the second Test against Sri Lanka with a lower back injury, while Timcyen Maruma also suffered a quad tear.

Tino Mutombodzi retired due to a hamstring injury in a Pro 50 Championship match between the Eagles and Mountaineers, while Tendai Chatara could make a return from a bicep injury.

“We have a balanced selection panel and we obviously want the best for Zimbabwe Cricket.

“I’m not a ZC employer, l come in as an independent selector.

“I have a job and I am involved in young players’ development, so is Gavin Ewing, Makunura and Utseya. They are ZC employees who come with vast experience.

“I believe we will achieve good things, especially with the six-year plan set by the director of cricket, Hamilton Masakadza.

“In white-ball cricket we have the World Cup in 2023 and the T20 World Cup in two years (2021).

“We have to ensure that we have strong teams, so you will see us bringing in some young players. We want to see these teams doing well.

“Our Under-19s didn’t do so well, but were competitive at the World Cup.

“Some youngsters had good performances so we cannot ignore that.

“Obviously experience is needed and we have a core of experienced guys, but still current form is crucial.”

Mutendera, however, clarified that scoring hundreds and taking five-fors doesn’t make selection automatic.

“It’s how you score your hundred, how you pick your wickets.

“That’s why we watch games, I am big fan of cricket and if I am not on the ground, I always try to watch online,” he said.

The 41-year-old is a former Zimbabwe international player who played one Test and nine ODIs between 1999 and 2001.

He has been part of the selection panel before, but now returns as the head of the committee.

“It’s a privilege and an honour to be given this role, we have got a good panel and we all want the best for Zimbabwe Cricket.”

Zimbabwean cricket has been struggling with an ODI winning ratio of 23 percent over the last decade.

The lowest point came when Zimbabwe failed to qualify for the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup after losing to UAE by three runs (Duckworth Lewis) during the qualifying tournament in Zimbabwe.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

I would love to know how he watches the games online....

Does make sense that our selectors use ball by ball updates without any analysis as the main method of selection.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Had Mutindira said “To be honest....I’m not a ZC employee, I’m an independent selector” maybe one person would have believed him.
:lol:
Did these geniuses pick Chibaba on current and past form or was that done for them?
Maybe they can only pick some of the team? Like one or two? :lol:
There is no such thing as independent selection in Zimbabwe, never has been and never will.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yeah he’s contradicting himself. He says it’s not what you scored or what wickets you took, it s how you did it. And he sees all of this online ! :lol: