Test Match Squad For Bangladesh (Announced)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Test Match Squad For Bangladesh (Announced)

Post by foreignfield »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:17 am
sloandog wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:52 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3bajV6TuBs

Enjoy
😂😂😂
Nice find! :D

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Is the other bloke in the video Dennis Streak?

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:19 pm
Is the other bloke in the video Dennis Streak?
Here's a photo of Dennis Streak, about a dozen years later: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=364&p=12733&hilit=dennis#p12714

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you’re a white dude you age in dog years here :lol: :lol:
Life expectancy is about 26 coz the stress will get you. :lol:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I remember about twenty years ago, maybe slightly less, most likely 2002, I was channel surfing during ten commonwealth games on TV, which was a big deal back then. And I came across a lawn bowls tournament and Zimbabwe were playing.

That of course caught my interest that Zim were competing, and I didn’t realise they had a competitive lawn bowls team.

After the Aussie opponent has his bowl, the next zimbo up was..... Dennis Streak!

None of the commentators made the link (or cared) in the time I was watching. Think I gave it 5/10 mins.

But how random was that.Turning on the TV to watch famous athletes and I see Dennis Streak at the commonwealth games on prime time.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 am
But how random was that.Turning on the TV to watch famous athletes and I see Dennis Streak at the commonwealth games on prime time.
It explains a lot! :lol:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIM boys have landed in Dhaka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

kudet

Post by kudet »

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/chevron-babies-on-the-way
Brighton Zhawi
Sports Reporter

IT can happen at any time; so it only makes sense that Chevrons skipper Sean Williams has opted to forgo Zimbabwe’s visit to Bangladesh, and share the impending birth of his first child with his wife Chantelle.

After all, it’s their first.

However, for recent debutant Victor Nyauchi; he has been there before, and as such the 27-year-old travelled with the team to Asia for one-off Test, two ODI and Twenty20 series.

He is a seam bowler is also expecting his second child.

Through it all, the week is likely to end with the two Chevrons’ players celebrating the birth of their babies.

“I’m dedicating this (Test) game to my new unborn baby, which is on the way,” said Nyauchi.

“Unfortunately, I’m not going to be there to welcome the baby, as I’m out of country on duty.

“Our captain Sean Williams is also staying behind for his first born child. He is not going to be with us, to play the first game in Bangladesh.

“You never know, maybe, our kids could be born on the same day this February,” Nyauchi said with a chuckle.

For Williams, who is in Bulawayo with his wife Chantelle, it has been a “stressful and exciting” period.

“I have been trying to play as much as I can despite having a lot on my plate with cricket …

“I have been away from home for most of the pregnancy and my wife has had to travel to me, so it’s been hard on her having to do everything.

“However, today (last Thursday), I get to go home to her a week before the birth to start getting things in order,” he said.

In Williams’ absence, his best buddy Craig Ervine will captain Zimbabwe in the one-off Test and Willo is backing his mate to lead from the front.

“When I spoke to Craig; I just said that I know that the job has come at a stressful time especially now with the pay cuts, but it’s an extremely proud moment and no one deserves it more than him.

“Craig is the most genuine human being I have ever come across, and there is no man better to handle any situation, that comes our way than him.

“I know he will do a fantastic job and the players respect him highly.”

Ervine, who will first lead the team in a two-day warm up match from February 18-19, says he is ready to captain.

“It’s a privilege and honour to lead the team in Tests.

“I know it’s only for one game but to have the opportunity means a lot to me,” said the left-handed batsman who became the 15th Zimbabwean to reach 1 000 Test runs during the Sri Lanka series.

Ervine is a rookie father himself, after welcoming his first child in August 2019.

So what has he been telling Williams about fatherhood?

“It’s such an incredible feeling and no one expected him to miss it,” said Ervine.

“I told him his life is about to change, like he never thought possible.

“It’s a good change. Being a father is a blessing that many don’t get, so he just needs to enjoy every moment,” he said.

Ervine believes the birth of Williams and Nyauchi’s babies will be fantastic for the tour.

“I hope all goes well for him and Sean and we hear the good news on tour,” said the stand-in skipper.

Zimbabwe’s last visit in Bangladesh was in November 2018 and saw the Chevrons achieve their first Test away win in 17 years.

That series ended one-all.

Zimbabwe have won seven and lost six Tests with three draws out of the 16 meetings with Bangladesh since 2001.

“Looking at recent form, we are sitting in a good position.

“It’s unfortunate that Williams, Jarvis and Chatara will miss out, but it gives an opportunity to others.

“The Test will be a challenge with it being played in Dhaka in which Bangladesh have had great success there.

“I would say we are underdogs but we go in with no pressure whereas Bangladesh are playing at home, so have a lot of added pressures to deal with,” said Ervine.

kudet

Post by kudet »

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/1 ... conditions
Zimbabwe wicketkeeper-batsman Brendan Taylor is aware of the challenges that await him in the upcoming Test in Dhaka but took confidence in his familiarity with the setting. He called Bangladesh "second home".

A 15-member Zimbabwe Test squad, led by Craig Ervine, arrived at the Dhaka airport on Friday (February 15) to play one Test, three ODIs and two T20Is.

"We are well prepared. Firstly, it's good to be back in Bangladesh, a place we call our second home," Taylor said. "We know the conditions, we got two good Test matches that went five days in Sri Lanka. We took lots of positives from that so hopefully we can carry on.

"Obviously Bangladesh have always been very difficult to win against. So we know who we are up against, the challenge but we look forward to it. They always play well at home and that's their comfort zone, where they thrive on and the boys got a good record."

Taylor added that they will miss the services of regular Test skipper Sean Williams, who's opted out of the Test for personal reasons but will be back for the white-ball leg of the tour.

"Definitely [we will miss Sean Williams] because he is like our Shakib. He is a batting all-rounder, he is bowling good left arm spinner. And he has been scoring some good runs against Sri Lanka. But his absence is an opportunity for the youngsters."