Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh | Mirpur, Dhaka | 2020

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh | Mirpur, Dhaka | 2020

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Taylor has spoken to the press at Dhaka airport following the ZIM team's arrival. He sounded very confident. Said that they had good series vs SL, that went 10 days, and got a lot of positives out of that. Said they will have to be at their very best to beat Bangladesh, and that they expected Bangladesh to be tough in these conditions.

Personally, I think the chance of Zimbabwe getting another Test win in BD has never been better. Bangladesh have now lost 6 Tests in a row, and 5 of them have been by an innings. Zimbabwe got a massive win just 16 months ago in Sylhet. Although Zimbabwe's bowling attack is weakened with the injuries of Jarvis and Chatara, and the absence of Williams, Bangladesh's batting is equally fragile with the likes of Shakib, Shadman, and Mosaddek missing out for a variety of reasons.

What do you guys reckon the chances are for ZIM to get a win? How about a draw?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh | Mirpur, Dhaka | 2020

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:30 am
Taylor has spoken to the press at Dhaka airport following the ZIM team's arrival. He sounded very confident. Said that they had good series vs SL, that went 10 days, and got a lot of positives out of that. Said they will have to be at their very best to beat Bangladesh, and that they expected Bangladesh to be tough in these conditions.

Personally, I think the chance of Zimbabwe getting another Test win in BD has never been better. Bangladesh have now lost 6 Tests in a row, and 5 of them have been by an innings. Zimbabwe got a massive win just 16 months ago in Sylhet. Although Zimbabwe's bowling attack is weakened with the injuries of Jarvis and Chatara, and the absence of Williams, Bangladesh's batting is equally fragile with the likes of Shakib, Shadman, and Mosaddek missing out for a variety of reasons.

What do you guys reckon the chances are for ZIM to get a win? How about a draw?
Fair points made Kriterion but sadly both sides are really understrength for various reasons. If Zimbabwe has Williams, Jarvis, Chatara & Chisoro then yes I’d say they’re a good chance to win.

But I can’t see this Zimbabwean attack taking 20 wickets unless Bangladesh make the mistake of producing another bowler friendly deck like they did in Syhlet, which makes average bowlers more dangerous.

I think the flatter the deck the better the chances of a Bangladesh victory, or at worse case a draw. Zimbabwe have shown they can bat long periods now so a draw is a high possibility of the deck is flat.

As is always the case the toss of the coin could be more important than any player in this Test, batting first and setting a decent total already probably puts you at 80% chance of victory or draw.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:43 am

Fair points made Kriterion but sadly both sides are really understrength for various reasons. If Zimbabwe has Williams, Jarvis, Chatara & Chisoro then yes I’d say they’re a good chance to win.

But I can’t see this Zimbabwean attack taking 20 wickets unless Bangladesh make the mistake of producing another bowler friendly deck like they did in Syhlet, which makes average bowlers more dangerous.

I think the flatter the deck the better the chances of a Bangladesh victory, or at worse case a draw. Zimbabwe have shown they can bat long periods now so a draw is a high possibility of the deck is flat.

As is always the case the toss of the coin could be more important than any player in this Test, batting first and setting a decent total already probably puts you at 80% chance of victory or draw.
Definitely correct. Williams, Jarvis, and Chatara missing is about 50% of Zimabwe's total batting and bowling resources. So this is a half strength Zimbabwe side. For Bangladesh, missing Shakib + Shadman + Mosaddek is probably only 30% of our total batting and bowling resources. I think in Sylhet 2018 we were missing Shakib and Tamim which is close to 50% of batting/bowling resources.

Again just made up numbers but a good aproximation.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

More wholesale changes in the Bangladesh Test squad

Mominul-c, Tamim, Saif, Shanto, Mushfiq, Mithun, Liton, Taijul, Jayed, Nayeem, Ebadot, Taskin, Miraz, Mustafiz, Mahmud, Yasir

IN: Mushfiq, Taskin, Miraz, Mustafiz, Mahmud, Yasir

OUT: Riyad, Al-Amin, Rubel, Soumya
Lots of changes with 4 Big ins for Bangladesh

Saif
Tamim
Shanto
Mominul c
Mushfiq
Mithun
Liton wk
Mehidy
Taijul
Jayed
Mustafiz

Might be short a bowler, might have to leave out Mithun for Ebadot?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:39 am
More wholesale changes in the Bangladesh Test squad

Mominul-c, Tamim, Saif, Shanto, Mushfiq, Mithun, Liton, Taijul, Jayed, Nayeem, Ebadot, Taskin, Miraz, Mustafiz, Mahmud, Yasir

IN: Mushfiq, Taskin, Miraz, Mustafiz, Mahmud, Yasir

OUT: Riyad, Al-Amin, Rubel, Soumya
Lots of changes with 4 Big ins for Bangladesh

Saif
Tamim
Shanto
Mominul c
Mushfiq
Mithun
Liton wk
Mehidy
Taijul
Jayed
Mustafiz

Might be short a bowler, might have to leave out Mithun for Ebadot?
That looks a lot like the XI I'd pick, except I'd have Ebadat for Fizz (its obvious now he has no long term desire or future in Tests...poor BCL form as well) and would like to bring Nayeem in.

Saif
Tamim
Shanto
Momin
Mushfiq
Miraz
Liton
Nayeem
Taijul
Jayed
Ebadat

I don't think the management would do that though, but they should. This would be the best chance for Miraz to show he can bat in the top 7. This is surely the weakest ZIM bowling attack since their readmission in 2011.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Its all go in to go down on the type of pitch we are going to get. Any insights on that Kriterion? A turning wicket will bring normal spinners like mutombodzi and ainsley into the game. If we have a flat track I would actually go with Don Mumba Nyauchi and Mpofu as our tail.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

TapsC wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:13 am
Its all go in to go down on the type of pitch we are going to get. Any insights on that Kriterion? A turning wicket will bring normal spinners like mutombodzi and ainsley into the game. If we have a flat track I would actually go with Don Mumba Nyauchi and Mpofu as our tail.
From what I can work out Mutumbodzi has to play (even though I think he is shit) and bat at 6. Otherwise we will not have enough spin options.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

I smell a upset , the one guy we really struggled against consistently was shakib (best allrounder in the world for me ) and he’s not playing . Bangladesh’s batting is very average and they rely on Iqbal ad mushy way to much. We have proven we can play good solid test cricket on foreign wickets that offer something for slower bowlers . Yes Jarvis is a massive out But he can be covered to a small degree on these pitches . Donald could play his role , tying up a end and allowing the spinners to attack . The out we simply can’t replace is Williams , one for his batting but 2 his bowling will be sorely missed. I hope to see some bald moves pulled at the selection table .I feel Burl would have been a great selection but we all know he isn’t getting a game. Once again we will have to rely on Taylor Ervine and raza , wicket keeping will be crucial and it’s a area the Bangladeshis have has covered for days . Like I said I’m smelling a upset , just happy to see us playing cricket really .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The more I think about this match and the lineup Zimbabwe will go with, the more I think Victor Nyauchi could be a shock omission. Seems odd after being the best seamer in the SL series, but I have a theory.

I reckon Mpofu will definitely play, he’s done well for the Tuskers this year, and without Chatara & Jarvis the attack is lacking experience.

Tiripano is the best batsman out of the 4 remaining guys (Tshuma is a long shot) and the selectors seem to pick him no matter what so he’ll probably play.

That leaves Mumba or Nyauchi for the last spot, Mumba adds extra pace & bounce, plus he can bat which will be handy if Mpofu & Ndlovu are picked, they don’t need another No.11.

Nyauchi is also too similar to Tiripano bowling wise, so if they’re looking to take 20 wickets they might want something different. An attack of Mpofu, Mumba & Tiripano gives you some variation.

I could be reading it totally wrong but that’s what I think might happen, plus Mutombodzi will probably get the last batting spot, unless Mudzinganyama or Maruma do something exceptional in the warm up game.

Prince
Kasuza
Ervine
BT
Raza
Regis
Mutombodzi
Tiripano
Mumba
Mpofu
Ndlovu

Still can’t see this side taking 20 wickets unless it’s a dodgy pitch

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:53 am
The more I think about this match and the lineup Zimbabwe will go with, the more I think Victor Nyauchi could be a shock omission. Seems odd after being the best seamer in the SL series, but I have a theory.

I reckon Mpofu will definitely play, he’s done well for the Tuskers this year, and without Chatara & Jarvis the attack is lacking experience.

Tiripano is the best batsman out of the 4 remaining guys (Tshuma is a long shot) and the selectors seem to pick him no matter what so he’ll probably play.

That leaves Mumba or Nyauchi for the last spot, Mumba adds extra pace & bounce, plus he can bat which will be handy if Mpofu & Ndlovu are picked, they don’t need another No.11.

Nyauchi is also too similar to Tiripano bowling wise, so if they’re looking to take 20 wickets they might want something different. An attack of Mpofu, Mumba & Tiripano gives you some variation.

I could be reading it totally wrong but that’s what I think might happen, plus Mutombodzi will probably get the last batting spot, unless Mudzinganyama or Maruma do something exceptional in the warm up game.

Prince
Kasuza
Ervine
BT
Raza
Regis
Mutombodzi
Tiripano
Mumba
Mpofu
Ndlovu

Still can’t see this side taking 20 wickets unless it’s a dodgy pitch
This team is very much spot on. Its really a toss up between Nyauchi and Mumba. It will be very hard on Nyauchi to miss out giving the debut series he had. Mutombodzi should play because without Williams our spinning options are very limited.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'