Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh | Mirpur, Dhaka | 2020

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
cricket_22001

Re: Match Thread | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh | Mirpur, Dhaka | 2020

Post by cricket_22001 »

It's funny how the same attitude exists but in a slightly altered state.
The Packer revolution heightened the interest in ODIs. All done in one day, coloured clothing (although other countries took a while to follow), day/night hour. This sparked a new audience different to the test/FC audience.
20/20 has produced new audiences & even now a result in the same day is too long to wait or be bothered.
During the NZ tour of Australia this season, I reflected how I went to the tour match between NZ & NSW in 1973/74. It attracted quite a crowd on the weekend. Nowadays it attracts the same crowd as a pub match.
Strangely, Azhar Ali bemoaned the fact Pakistan rarely tour Australia citing this as a reason they perform so badly. If they toured as much as India, they would adapt better.
Pakistan's first full tour of Australia was in 1972/73 & they played almost every state as a preparation to the tests. Same with the NZ tour in 73/74. Although Pakistan lost 0-3 in 72/73, by the end of the decade half their players were regulars in the Oz summer- Imran , Zaheer Majid, Aif Iqbal, Sarfraz & Javed. 1981/82 was their best tour as they forced a 1-1 result in the series. I won't include 78/79 as it didn't include Packer players for Australia.
Sorry, just rambling.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:26 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:08 pm
By serious youth cricketers, I meant kids that play organized cricket (with umpires, actual kits, someone keeping score, etc). Not just a bunch of guys playing tape tennis in a parking lot wearing Jordans and gym shorts.

But I am aware how unpopular cricket is even in England and Australia. My buddy and I went to the Bangladesh vs New Zealand game at last year's World Cup and spent 4-5 days in London. I think the women's soccer world cup was going on concurrently, there were more ads and fanfare for the women's soccer world cup in France than there was for the men's cricket world cup happening in England. There were more ads for the american NFL than there was for the CWC. As a cricket fan, it actually made me sad. But it also proved how little the ICC cares about bringing new fans into the game. 3 billion dollar event, and you can't put up a few posters at Heathrow's international arrivals terminal?
Actually funny you mentioned Heathrow.
I was there in November. There was a big wall memorial dedicated to.....David Boon.

In the text below it was talking about how he famously sunk 52 cans on a flight. A world record.

Amusing but so unexpected and random. I’m talking about a very large wall memorial that took up a few panels
LHR is probably my all time favorite airport. Mainly because as a child my family used it to travel to and from Bangladesh. I generally like everything about england, except the weather and the food haha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

As long as you have a sport where 3 teams dominate so much it will never grow. There are multiple issues like a 10 team world cup, 10 team champions trophy, length of the game, full membership, uneven distribution of money, kolpak rules etc that in the end make it unattractive to casual fans. It is also an expensive sport to get going

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Getting back to this particular Test match, I hope that the pitch has something in it for the seamers. Main thing is good bounce and pace - IDK if that is even possible on Mirpur's soil, but thats what I'd like to see personally.

SpitfiresKent
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by SpitfiresKent »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:52 am
Getting back to this particular Test match, I hope that the pitch has something in it for the seamers. Main thing is good bounce and pace - IDK if that is even possible on Mirpur's soil, but thats what I'd like to see personally.
Not even the BCB president thinks your lot can beat ZIM :lol:

And he wants to be informed of the team before the match, who does this guy think he is? :shock:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

SpitfiresKent wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:50 am
Not even the BCB president thinks your lot can beat ZIM :lol:
This isn't even a factor. We lost to Afghanistan and Zimbabwe at home in the space of a year, so any shame we could have had has long since evaporated. We are a shameless Test side now. Whats one more home defeat against a 2nd string Zimbabwe side (look how many first teamers are missing: Jarvis, Chatara, Williams...its hard to even call this a ZIM A team). The only thing saving us from losing a Test match vs Nepal in Khulna is a little thing called Test status :D

Jokes and sarcasm aside (granted without 3 big names, 4 if you include Cremer, this is severely weakened ZIM team), the Bangladesh team are just in a prolonged slump for the past 2.5 years. Ever since the SA tour of 2017. Interestingly, we have played a total of 16 Tests in that time. Our team batting average has been a pathetic 22.98 in that span. I will attribute a large part of this to the psychological blow of missing at least 1 of our Big 3 (Shakib, Tamim, or Mushy) in 14 of those 16 Tests. In NZ, we were missing 2 of the 3.

I will still argue that BD at full strength make up a formiddable Test side, at least in home conditions.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Only hope is if we bat first. Bowl first and we are facing 500.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimfan1 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:24 pm
Only hope is if we bat first. Bowl first and we are facing 500.
On 500 wicket, batting first and putting 350 on the board wont help much.

Domingo has said BD will play 2 seamers. I hope the pitch has something for the quicks. Defintiely dont want to see much turn untill day 4.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Our playing XI is set, and with the exception of Mithun at 6 and Liton at 7, looks pretty decent. Cant help but root for Mithun and Liton to get out cheaply, even if it means BD might lost the Test vs ZIM. In fact, another home loss to Zimbabwe is what this team actually needs, to be brutally honest. Its not a part of the WTC, and we've already lost vs Afghanistan in the WTC era.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Zim have won the toss and will BAT.