[ Match Thread ] Logan Cup ( Mountaineers V/s Eagles & Rangers V/s Tuskers)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [ Match Thread ] Logan Cup ( Mountaineers V/s Eagles & Rangers V/s Tuskers)

Post by jward »

MGN wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 am
Does anyone know what kind of a bowler is Shayne Nxumalo? Cricinfo doesn't have anything on him.
Left-arm spinner. I sent in information about him to Cricinfo this evening, so it should be up anytime.

jward

Post by jward »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:15 am
More part time spin being the undoing of domestic sides, Tony Munyonga taking three scalps

Unfortunately Brian Mudzinganyama has retired hurt 68*
Collision with the wicket-keeper trying to avoid being run out - both were actually taken to hospital briefly with mild concussion. We had a bizarre incident when Brian tried to resume his innings when his side had eight wickets down. He faced four balls without adding any runs, and then the umpires apparently decided that he didn't have medical clearance to play again and sent him back to the pavilion! The Tuskers w/k has had a concussion substitute appointed for him, though at the time Brian looked to be the more damaged of the two. We will have to wait and see whether he is allowed to play again tomorrow.

jward

Post by jward »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:35 pm
Looks like Wellington Masakadza is becoming another Maruma / Mutombodzi - converting himself into a batsman after beginning as a bowler and is also becoming a rubbish bowler like those two. Not many wickets to show this season.

First 5 wicket haul of the season for Ernest Masuku after having a less than impressive season so far, given a good last season.

Masuku always brings a smile on my face because that word in my native language Kannada means blurry, obscure, foggy, muddled, unclear, etc .:).

Ernest Masuku = Seriously Unclear (that's for sure, we don't know what kind of a pacer he is) :)
He is right-hand, medium-fast.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Medium fast makes him an automatic selection :lol:

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jward wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:14 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Looks like Wellington Masakadza is becoming another Maruma / Mutombodzi - converting himself into a batsman after beginning as a bowler and is also becoming a rubbish bowler like those two. Not many wickets to show this season.

First 5 wicket haul of the season for Ernest Masuku after having a less than impressive season so far, given a good last season.

Masuku always brings a smile on my face because that word in my native language Kannada means blurry, obscure, foggy, muddled, unclear, etc .:).

Ernest Masuku = Seriously Unclear (that's for sure, we don't know what kind of a pacer he is) :)
He is right-hand, medium-fast.
Thanks John :)

MGN

Post by MGN »

jward wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:09 pm
MGN wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 am
Does anyone know what kind of a bowler is Shayne Nxumalo? Cricinfo doesn't have anything on him.
Left-arm spinner. I sent in information about him to Cricinfo this evening, so it should be up anytime.
Thanks for the info , John.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:43 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
I never understood why people rated Wellington as a bowler. Give me a reason why he was ever better than any part time spinner. I didn’t see it then and I especially don’t see it now.

Off spin is usually just an excuse for people without pace to bowl accurately. It’s why every dibble dibbled can run restrict. There is not much difference between Utseya and Jonathan Campbell or an accurate pub cricketer. It’s just who lands it in the spot with a better field on the day.

A real offie earns his keep when he’s a saqlain Mushtaq with a bag of tricks or a Nathan Lyon who masters the Art of variance, but with a real rev off the ball in the arsenal.
With Lyon, you don’t know if it will be gentle or a turner or if it comes at you 78km\hr or 102km hr.

Wellington just throws it at the feet and hope the pitch does the rest.
Some of us were probably swayed by the romance of the three Masakadzas. And his action reminded one a bit of Daniel Vettori.

The Wellington I remember arguably put a few more revs on the ball than, say, Ndlovu. But you are right, gentle, consistent turn doesn't bother international batsmen too much as long as the pitch is not a minefield--unless it's partnered by accuracy, subtle variations of pace and flight, a great armball and an even greater cricketing brain, cue, again Vettori or, from the wrist-spinning department, an Anil Kumble.

But generally orthodox finger spin is not about the unplayable delivery but more about inviting and enticing the batsmen to make a mistake. I would argue that to be a succesful finger spinner--apart from freaks like Murali or doosra chuckers--you need a cricket brain way above average.

From what I remember Wellington wasn't accurate enough (and I don't think he had many tricks or subtle variations either); but I don't remember the basket full of long-hops and full tosses that Ndlovu serves up every second over--that's absolutely criminal for a finger spinner. Given that he can hold a bat where Ndlovu can't I wouldn't have minded another look at Wellington in one of the three Test matches where Ndlovu did absolutely nothing.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:10 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:43 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
I never understood why people rated Wellington as a bowler. Give me a reason why he was ever better than any part time spinner. I didn’t see it then and I especially don’t see it now.

Off spin is usually just an excuse for people without pace to bowl accurately. It’s why every dibble dibbled can run restrict. There is not much difference between Utseya and Jonathan Campbell or an accurate pub cricketer. It’s just who lands it in the spot with a better field on the day.

A real offie earns his keep when he’s a saqlain Mushtaq with a bag of tricks or a Nathan Lyon who masters the Art of variance, but with a real rev off the ball in the arsenal.
With Lyon, you don’t know if it will be gentle or a turner or if it comes at you 78km\hr or 102km hr.

Wellington just throws it at the feet and hope the pitch does the rest.
Some of us were probably swayed by the romance of the three Masakadzas. And his action reminded one a bit of Daniel Vettori.

The Wellington I remember arguably put a few more revs on the ball than, say, Ndlovu. But you are right, gentle, consistent turn doesn't bother international batsmen too much as long as the pitch is not a minefield--unless it's partnered by accuracy, subtle variations of pace and flight, a great armball and an even greater cricketing brain, cue, again Vettori or, from the wrist-spinning department, an Anil Kumble.

But generally orthodox finger spin is not about the unplayable delivery but more about inviting and enticing the batsmen to make a mistake. I would argue that to be a succesful finger spinner--apart from freaks like Murali or doosra chuckers--you need a cricket brain way above average.

From what I remember Wellington wasn't accurate enough (and I don't think he had many tricks or subtle variations either); but I don't remember the basket full of long-hops and full tosses that Ndlovu serves up every second over--that's absolutely criminal for a finger spinner. Given that he can hold a bat where Ndlovu can't I wouldn't have minded another look at Wellington in one of the three Test matches where Ndlovu did absolutely nothing.
Yeah I can agree with all this here.

I didn’t see Ndlovu bowling but for a finger spinner, not being accurate literally puts you on the same level as a pub cricketer.

Apart from Cremer, the best spinner we have had since Price I believe is Raza.

I’d still pick him as a bowler alone if we needed spinners. He’s in the non elite category we described but he is a thinker who can get a bit of rev.
Ps.
Still weird to me this insight is coming from a German dude who didn’t grow up playing.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

John,

Do you know why Shumba didn't get a bowl or was batting so low?

Thanks!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I've said it since I first saw him play, that Wellington is bang average and over rated. His action doesn't allow himself to turn the ball, he closes himself off completely. I'd much rather see Chisoro in the side