Blessing Muzarabani hints at Zimbabwe Cricket comeback

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Blessing Muzarabani hints at Zimbabwe Cricket comeback

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

grant wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:18 am
He was easily our quickest seamer. I remember him clocking 140+ kph on multiple occasions (as high as 144 kph). His pace was a little inconsistent though. His pace was usually around the 135-136 kph mark, which even Mumba struggles to reach consistently.
I think you’re confusing Blessing with Kagosi Rabada.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:44 am
grant wrote:
He was easily our quickest seamer. I remember him clocking 140+ kph on multiple occasions (as high as 144 kph). His pace was a little inconsistent though. His pace was usually around the 135-136 kph mark, which even Mumba struggles to reach consistently.
I'm finding this really amusing, how so many people are getting sucked into the Muzarabani myth. The guy was a 79-83Mph type bowler, who could bend his back when he wasn't sulking on the boundary and in fairness did clock up to 87mph in the pink ball test against SA. But if anyone watched the entire game like I did you'll have noticed his pace was consistently around 76-80mph.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

What's the peak age for a fast bowler? In terms of pace

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:37 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:44 am
grant wrote:
I'm finding this really amusing, how so many people are getting sucked into the Muzarabani myth. The guy was a 79-83Mph type bowler, who could bend his back when he wasn't sulking on the boundary and in fairness did clock up to 87mph in the pink ball test against SA. But if anyone watched the entire game like I did you'll have noticed his pace was consistently around 76-80mph.
Careful mate, or they will start to question whether you actually watch games and know whats going on...

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:28 am
Surely it’s 28 or 29. Yet you look at Steyn bowling bombs in the PSL and Jimmy Anderson at 37 getting better better, it’s hard to say

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:23 am

Firstly, you clearly are using the term buttercup wrong.

Secondly, I have been watching the games and seeing the bowling, but i do apologise about the time I had to go to sleep because I had work at 5am the next morning and could not stay up till stupid o'clock to watch the game. Clearly that makes me a terrible fan who never watched any games live or even the highlights that get posted.

I never said these guys are any good, I was merely asking, how much better is Blessing at this moment? Does he have more to work on or are we actually saying that he is at the level of which he can come in and will be this world class beater who is moving the ball, changing it up well, and knocking high speeds consistently...Will he really form this potent attack akin to countries like Aus/Eng/India, with KJ and TC that many are alluding to?

Jeez mate. I asked a genuine question from those who have watched him more in the county scene. If he was genuinely good, then a club would want to try and sign him on for the last year of deal even if meant as a foreigner, rather than 'just' let him go. They committed to 3 years initially and if a player is genuinely good or of a high quality, surely you do everything you can to sign them...no?

So again, not negative. Not fitting a narrative. Just asking questions that normally get asked.
I never mentioned anything about Blessing forming a lethal combo with KJ & TC akin to England or Australia, I said he’d be third seamer behind those guys. Don’t re-write history

Also let’s see how many other Kolpak guys get overseas deals? I guess we can say the guys who don’t get deals aren’t ‘genuinely good players’ or of ‘high quality’
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:13 am
TapsC wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:28 am
Surely it’s 28 or 29. Yet you look at Steyn bowling bombs in the PSL and Jimmy Anderson at 37 getting better better, it’s hard to say
?
No way?

I’d say it’s 20-24.

I literally can’t think of one bowler, apart from Hazelwood, which I believe is more a change in strategy, who got faster as they aged. Remember injuries plays a part in someone rapid.

Lee was a consistent 155 bowler in his early twenties and finished at 135 in his mid thirties.

Cummins is 140 now but when younger was 150.

Jarvis people keep telling me was 150 as a teen and now look at him.

Chatara? Same.

Streak? Same.

McGrath? Same.

I could go on and on.

Now if you want to say when does a bowler peak in terms of ability, then I am with you when you say late twenties, then I am 100 percent with you.

The pattern I have seen my life is a bowler hits the scene as a tear away young quick, then over time evolves their line and length and drops 5km an hour.

Jarvis is a really good example actually.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I’m referring to ability I guess, not speed

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:34 am
I’m referring to ability I guess, not speed
For the first time in the history of ZCF sloan, you are referring to overall ability when someone dangled a pace question :D

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 am

I never mentioned anything about Blessing forming a lethal combo with KJ & TC akin to England or Australia, I said he’d be third seamer behind those guys. Don’t re-write history

Also let’s see how many other Kolpak guys get overseas deals? I guess we can say the guys who don’t get deals aren’t ‘genuinely good players’ or of ‘high quality’
Not going to lie, sometimes feels like I'm creating enemies on this forum apparently.

I never said you mentioned anything, I merely just advanced the conversation on my own point. I was not re-writing history. Surely the inference of lethalness can be made in the context of cricket when people say he would be the 3rd seamer with KJ & TC. After all, it is cricket and in cricket the bowling group works as a unit, or should, and such if he is to be part of the group and considered a top 3 with KJ and TC, I'm just asking how lethal that group would be?

I'm not saying not genuinely good. What I just said was if his club have already made a decision this many months out, maybe he has not progressed as well and perhaps his skills are not as high as being suggested.