Jeremy ives

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Jeremy ives

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I mean I would rather have him back than not. But these guys always come back half baked, or the same standard they were when they left. In other words haven’t progressed since their teenage years.

They are doing it wrong.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

When did Zim domestic become the be all and end all on whether a guy is capable of playing for Zim?

It's not like it is a well functioning one with high quality, so quite frankly, I don't think we can be closing ourselves off to having only home based players.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am
When did Zim domestic become the be all and end all on whether a guy is capable of playing for Zim?

It's not like it is a well functioning one with high quality, so quite frankly, I don't think we can be closing ourselves off to having only home based players.
In theory you are correct but I'm talking about the reality. You won't get selected from UK club cricket by the guys in charge. UK county 2nds and above yes you have a chance

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

It’s clear ZC are going to select players who are loyal to ZC and who perform at home. I have no problem with picking guys who play Logan cup cricket over a 20/20 in Bangladesh
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am

This is international cricket.
Playing for Randomshire 11 shouldn’t be a platform for selection for a uni kid.
County, county seconds, Sydney first grade then yes.

Even Mire was selected from Melbourne club and was somewhat lucky.

I know Sydney first grade is strong and easily on par or above county seconds, but not sure Melb is that level, but I’m sure it’s strong.

Ives isn’t a superstar. Just welcome him back to the setup, treat him well, support him and let him watch his performance do the talking.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:14 am

In theory you are correct but I'm talking about the reality. You won't get selected from UK club cricket by the guys in charge. UK county 2nds and above yes you have a chance
My point was, what if he fought and got himself in to a County side or County 2nds? If you are playing for Randomshire XI then yes, perhaps you need to be thinking differently, but also, not many players are going to risk their livelihoods to come back when ZC treat them like crap, so maybe we need to start thinking differently if we want to move forward.

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:06 am

I know Sydney first grade is strong and easily on par or above county seconds, but not sure Melb is that level, but I’m sure it’s strong.

Ives isn’t a superstar. Just welcome him back to the setup, treat him well, support him and let him watch his performance do the talking.

Mire played with Melbourne Renegades so their was surely something about him for him to be selected in the BBL. You'd be surprised with the grade level in Mel and other cities. Some players have come through those ranks and turned in to quality players. Definitely take the Zim domestic sides for a run.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Again, I'd much rather see Malcolm Lake make a bit of noise about coming back here and playing some cricket.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:22 pm
TapsC wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:14 am

My point was, what if he fought and got himself in to a County side or County 2nds? If you are playing for Randomshire XI then yes, perhaps you need to be thinking differently, but also, not many players are going to risk their livelihoods to come back when ZC treat them like crap, so maybe we need to start thinking differently if we want to move forward.

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:06 am

Mire played with Melbourne Renegades so their was surely something about him for him to be selected in the BBL. You'd be surprised with the grade level in Mel and other cities. Some players have come through those ranks and turned in to quality players. Definitely take the Zim domestic sides for a run.
Mire was selected on some PC feel good development contract. It’s actually patronising to Mire. DdI he even play?

That same yeaR the Sixers selected some Hong Kong faggot who has never been seen since, even for HK.

Mire did get a double century though for his club and that would have been the achievement that caught ZC eye. But it was years ago now.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There are queues of players trying to get a shot in County Two’s. Even if you do something exceptional in club you need a patron or a guy who knows a guy to give you a trial. If it’s done begrudgingly you’ve got one shot to get a hundred or take a fifer.
I’ve seen so many players that deserve a few games and equally as many who are in the system and shouldn’t be there. It’s an unfair world out there.

Googly

Post by Googly »

All these counties have got decent local lads or someone coming from another county and you honestly have to be really exceptional to get noticed.
Having said that I noticed that a couple of these Counties will have a pre season sort of open day trial, which is mostly them just going through the motions to see if they’ve missed anyone. Just to get a game there is not easy.
There’s a young SA guy called Montgomery whom we’ve seen up here a few times and he got a game last week in a Notts trial and they like him and he may be looking at a summer contract from what I’ve heard. A few influential guys opened that door for him though. I believe he has a German passport? I’ve watched him a few times and he’s a good youngster, better than practically anyone we saw in that SA u19 side.
This is highly unusual though, I’ll be watching him carefully.