[ Match Thread ] Logan Cup ( Mountaineers V/s Eagles & Rangers V/s Tuskers)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [ Match Thread ] Logan Cup ( Mountaineers V/s Eagles & Rangers V/s Tuskers)

Post by jaybro »

ljriley90 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:54 pm
Anyone asking what type of bowler Ernest Masuku is I have the low down having played with him last year...

He is quick enough but bowled far too full here in the UK. Any bit of bat on ball and boundaries were coming. His economy was about 5.5 which for a FC bowler wasn't what we thought we'd get from new ball bowler. He asked to bowl 1st change in the end and too his credit did better then. Was quick enough to clean up tail and had a good slower ball.

As a batter great eye but couldn't real himself in. No game awareness. He'd get himself set on 20 and instead of batting the time to get a 50-70 to get us 200 he's plays a daft shot. Couldn't change.

Overall 365 runs and 35 wickets. A moderate return with bat. Really should have been 550 and 45 wickets that would have been a great first season in UK.

On the plus side for him my club paid £600 for him to do a ecb level 2 coaching course. This allows him return access to the uk as a fc player on tier 5 visa. I'm hoping he's using the coaching qualification with the kids of Bulawayo.

A lovely lad though and always tried his hardest.
Thanks for insight buddy, you don’t by any chance have any footage of him bowling do you?

Do you think he’s got the ability to make the national side?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ljriley90 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:57 pm
On another note where has Brian Mudzinganyama come from?

At 24 a late comer. Has he just been ticking away at league cricket. Is there any other gems on the league scene with potential?
Was he attached to a franchise b team before ACA?
Yeah came from no where really, his name caught my eye last season when he debuted for the Mashonaland Eagles. Gary Brent has been talking him up during his time at the ACHPP as a hard hitting opener, I expected him to be more of a limited overs bowler but he’s doing the damage in Logan Cup.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

ljriley90 wrote:
Anyone asking what type of bowler Ernest Masuku is I have the low down having played with him last year...

He is quick enough but bowled far too full here in the UK. Any bit of bat on ball and boundaries were coming. His economy was about 5.5 which for a FC bowler wasn't what we thought we'd get from new ball bowler. He asked to bowl 1st change in the end and too his credit did better then. Was quick enough to clean up tail and had a good slower ball.

As a batter great eye but couldn't real himself in. No game awareness. He'd get himself set on 20 and instead of batting the time to get a 50-70 to get us 200 he's plays a daft shot. Couldn't change.

Overall 365 runs and 35 wickets. A moderate return with bat. Really should have been 550 and 45 wickets that would have been a great first season in UK.

On the plus side for him my club paid £600 for him to do a ecb level 2 coaching course. This allows him return access to the uk as a fc player on tier 5 visa. I'm hoping he's using the coaching qualification with the kids of Bulawayo.

Are you having him back this year?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ljriley90 wrote:

Thanks.

To be honest this really isn’t the type of quality you would expect from a FC player, even in a weaker setup. Sounds like he was just your bang average club player.

That’s interesting for me because even ten years ago, a run of the mill Logan Cup player was still setting UK clubs alight. The lower part of the comp has dropped. Just more ammo to my theory we need to drop a team from FC.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

The league that LJ is referring to is a damn good set up, one of the best in the UK. The GMCL prem is a very high standard of cricket and I’d bet the gap isn’t massive between that and Logan Cup

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:11 am
The league that LJ is referring to is a damn good set up, one of the best in the UK. The GMCL prem is a very high standard of cricket and I’d bet the gap isn’t massive between that and Logan Cup
How big a difference between it and County seconds may I ask?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:44 am
sloandog wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:11 am
How big a difference between it and County seconds may I ask?
Well it’s nowhere near grade A cricket over in Oz, which is probably what you’re going to refer to. The GMCL prem isn’t a million miles off county 2’s

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

Replying to a few people at once here regarding Ernest Masuku.

We aren't having him back this year, and from what we he did for us last year of suggest he's not going to be pushing to national colours. He wasn't our most consistent player which says a lot as we got relegated.

He just bowled too full. Almost like he bought his wickets with people taking him on. There was one game where he bowled back of a length on a good deck and he was sharp and picked up a 5 for hitting people in the chest regularly. Sadly the pitches don't always encourage back of a length bowling so I dare say he will be better suited to home conditions.

No.vidoes of him bowling but a very short run, maybe ten paces max. Holds both hands on ball and has his elbows in a cradle position

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ljriley90 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 pm
Replying to a few people at once here regarding Ernest Masuku.

We aren't having him back this year, and from what we he did for us last year of suggest he's not going to be pushing to national colours. He wasn't our most consistent player which says a lot as we got relegated.

He just bowled too full. Almost like he bought his wickets with people taking him on. There was one game where he bowled back of a length on a good deck and he was sharp and picked up a 5 for hitting people in the chest regularly. Sadly the pitches don't always encourage back of a length bowling so I dare say he will be better suited to home conditions.

No.vidoes of him bowling but a very short run, maybe ten paces max. Holds both hands on ball and has his elbows in a cradle position
Thanks again mate

This goes along the lines of a point TapsC picked up a while back that he gets a lot of wickets bowled or lbw, whilst also going for a lot of runs.

Makes sense with both points of ljreily that he bowls full and relies on the batsman going after him.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Thanks for those insights ljriley90