Match Thread | Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe 3rd ODI 2020 | Sylhet

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread | Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe 3rd ODI 2020 | Sylhet

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Reverse sweeps are cool and everything but like the ramp shot, they aren’t designed to be an orthodox shot.

They are meant to be an outlier shot used in an unpredictable manner when the field is completely caught out and unaware of its possibility and the ball is being bowled outside off.

Generally it’s fine to an off spinner, a balll that’s sipping towards the stumps.

If you don’t get it right, there’s a lot that can go wrong, and what’s worse, on half the reverse sweep occasions, you could get the same traction doing the traditional sweep. And if the ball dips short (or way too full) you can turn it into a slog sweep for six, something taht cant be done in the reverse position.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:08 am
teams have video analysts
This as well.

Maybe that catches us out a lot, because we aren’t thinking about this, because whilst we literally employ witch doctors, these guys have analysts that spy on your play, and out batsman have been around the longest in the world today. Most teams that play us know our game.

It’s also the reason why a lot of bowlers and batsmen hit the scene in a big way then completely fall off the radar. A lot of players can be ‘solved’ like a puzzle.

Who was that Sri Lankan bowler that was ambidextrous?
And bowled offies and leggies? And got a couple of 8+ wicket hauls about ten years back?

He was home two years later. Completely solved by the analysts. I think Phil Hughes was another. That’s why he was forced to remodel his action after being the most exciting young batsman of his time. And there would be a bunch of others that don’t get attention but get stomped on nice and early.
For the NRL fans, remember Matt Utai?
New Zealand International to literal park footballer in two years once his big weakness was exposed and exploited.
It can be hard to change certain facets of your game once you reach a certain age and level.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:58 am
It’s also the reason why a lot of bowlers and batsmen hit the scene in a big way then completely fall off the radar. A lot of players can be ‘solved’ like a puzzle.

And bowled offies and leggies? And got a couple of 8+ wicket hauls about ten years back?
For some of our players you don't even need an analyst. I remember when Maruma came on to bowl for the first time when we toured the Carribean, and the Windies' batsmen looked puzzled for about three balls before they decided that he simply bowled gentle off-breaks with a leg-break action and tonked him.

tgk

Post by tgk »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
TapsC wrote:
This as well.

Maybe that catches us out a lot, because we aren’t thinking about this, because whilst we literally employ witch doctors, these guys have analysts that spy on your play, and out batsman have been around the longest in the world today. Most teams that play us know our game.

He was home two years later. Completely solved by the analysts. I think Phil Hughes was another. That’s why he was forced to remodel his action after being the most exciting young batsman of his time. And there would be a bunch of others that don’t get attention but get stomped on nice and early.
New Zealand International to literal park footballer in two years once his big weakness was exposed and exploited.
It can be hard to change certain facets of your game once you reach a certain age and level.
The Sri Lankan guy, Ajantha Mendis?

grant

Post by grant »

foreignfield wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:13 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

For some of our players you don't even need an analyst. I remember when Maruma came on to bowl for the first time when we toured the Carribean, and the Windies' batsmen looked puzzled for about three balls before they decided that he simply bowled gentle off-breaks with a leg-break action and tonked him.
From cricinfo:
In the last two seasons before his Test debut (2012-13 and 2011-12), though, he only took 16 wickets from as many matches, as he lost his stock delivery, the legbreak, and started bowling a mixture of googlies and seam-up quicker deliveries.
How the hell do you "lose" your legbreak? I get the feeling I have asked this before.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

tgk wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:23 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
TapsC wrote:
This as well.

The Sri Lankan guy, Ajantha Mendis?
Yes, but aren’t there two Ajantha Mendis’?

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

grant wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:32 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:13 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

From cricinfo:
In the last two seasons before his Test debut (2012-13 and 2011-12), though, he only took 16 wickets from as many matches, as he lost his stock delivery, the legbreak, and started bowling a mixture of googlies and seam-up quicker deliveries.
How the hell do you "lose" your legbreak? I get the feeling I have asked this before.
This question has puzzled us all here in the forum for years. I think the best translation would be he lost the confidence to bowl the leg-break because he couldn't bowl it with any consistency. But again that's just guesswork.

Maybe John Ward can shed a light on this?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Collins Obuya from Kenya who burst onto the scene at the 2003 World Cup as a leggie, also ‘lost his leggie’ at some stage and turned into a batsman.

Seems odd but I guess it’s the hardest art to master
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:58 am
Collins Obuya from Kenya who burst onto the scene at the 2003 World Cup as a leggie, also ‘lost his leggie’ at some stage and turned into a batsman.

We faced the Kenyans for their warm ups to the 2013 T20 qualifiers. I faced Obuya and he was scarily bad. He get smashed for 32 in two overs against a club side. A far cry from what he used to be like back in 2003

grant

Post by grant »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:58 am

He didn't "lose" his stock delivery though. The last time I saw him bowl, he was still bowling legbreaks. His bowling just became shit.