Draft 2: Playoffs

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Draft 2: Playoffs

Post by Kriterion_BD »

So I've developed an excellent and fair way of creating a fairly simple playoffs between the 9 teams in Draft #2. I will summarize it here and if people like it, we can do it for draft 4 and put some money on it!

1) The current scoring system (batting, bowling, WK subscores) will be added/averaged together to create a team composite score. Previously, it was understood that this would be the determining factor in which team is "the best". More scientific than a poll.

2) The above scoring will now be used to seed the teams from 1st place to 9th place.

3) The 8th and 9th ranked teams will play a direct head-to-head matchup as described below, and the winner will join the main 8 team playoffs.

4) A head to head knockout competition will go something like this:

- Each player in the XI will be assigned a random number. This number corresponds to the innings that will be used as their performance in that particular head-to-head match. For example if Virat Kohli is assigned #43 in the first head-to-head game, his 43rd career innings (from 2010 against top 13 ODI sides only) will be used as his performance. These performances will be scored the same way as in #1 above, and the XI will be given a composite team score. The team with the higher score will win the head-to-head matchup and progress to next round, where the process will be repeated.

In this way, we will have a true competition in which all teams have a probability of winning the Draft 2 league. Obviously, the better XI will have a higher chance of winning, but its just a chance. Draft position won't matter as much, and it won't simply be decided by the team picking players with the highest averages.

We shall see how this goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Draft 2: Playoffs

Post by grant »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:20 am
- Each player in the XI will be assigned a random number. This number corresponds to the innings that will be used as their performance in that particular head-to-head match. For example if Virat Kohli is assigned #43 in the first head-to-head game, his 43rd career innings (from 2010 against top 13 ODI sides only) will be used as his performance. These performances will be scored the same way as in #1 above, and the XI will be given a composite team score. The team with the higher score will win the head-to-head matchup and progress to next round, where the process will be repeated.
This will include bowling and wicket-keeping performances as well, right?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

would this not make the bowlers pointless to be picked because their stats do not matter?

I have bowlers who have an average of 9 so the chances they are adding to the team total would be extremely minimal. Had I known that the better batting would win, I would have just gone with a team of mostly batsmen.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:16 am
would this not make the bowlers pointless to be picked because their stats do not matter?

I have bowlers who have an average of 9 so the chances they are adding to the team total would be extremely minimal. Had I known that the better batting would win, I would have just gone with a team of mostly batsmen.
My (rough) understandig would be that you add up all the batting innings for Team A, e.g. = 300
Then you take the bowling innings for Team B, e.g. = 200

That would leave Team A a score of 250. -- And then you do the same for Team B.

But I'm not sure how wk comes into play, apart from byes conceeded. Fielding will also not feature, I reckon?
Last edited by foreignfield on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Maths is too hard to work out; just simulate on the play station that would be much more interesting

Not sure if the games you fellas have will accomodate the players we’ve chosen ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:40 am
Maths is too hard to work out; just simulate on the play station that would be much more interesting
You forget that Kriterion loves his maths. I know the type: My brother-in-law has a Ph.D. in Physics, and he would have his algorithms out in a flash if you'd so much as utter the word (but fortunately he knows zip all about cricket).

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:

Not sure if the games you fellas have will accomodate the players we’ve chosen ?
It's definitely possible on DB cricket, alas, I do not have it any more. I am trying to find something online that is a little more cost effective. brmt spoke of an idea in the other thread, I'm interested what he could do from a coding standpoint.

grant

Post by grant »

What if there's someone who's only played like one or two games and done well in all of them? In such a case, no matter which inning you pick, the player will do well.

Perhaps we should've kept a minimum number of innings criterion?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:

It most likely wouldn't have. Unless some user creates new players like Jofra Archer...but then should we trust some random guy to rate the players?

The math is actually very simple - thats the genius of my system. The only thing is its going to take a few hours...but worth it for the fun. It will be a proper fantasy competition.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

grant wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:36 pm
What if there's someone who's only played like one or two games and done well in all of them? In such a case, no matter which inning you pick, the player will do well.

Perhaps we should've kept a minimum number of innings criterion?
1 player is unlikely to alter the course of match, unless the innings is a blinder. In that case, you still deserve to win.

But yes, in future we can have a 10 game minimum.