Draft 2: Playoffs

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Draft 2: Playoffs

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:18 pm
There needs to be a way to reward players for longevity. Otherwise one could just pick guys that played a few games and did well.
Decent idea, but longevity makes little sense for example Kane Williamson would get a lot more points than Babar Azam, despite Babar being statistically superior by a fair distance. Unfair IMO.

If someone picks a Wesley Madhevere with his 40+ average and 90+ strike rate from just 3 games, I don't see a problem with that. Wesley could have just as easily average 10 at a 50 strike rate from those 3 games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

grant wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:00 am
What if a player was unbeaten for 5 runs in that random innings?
@Kriterion_BD

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Do we get to see the batting & bowling cards? It would give the whole thing more context than just to know Team A beat Team B by a decimal point.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:33 am
eugene wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:18 pm
There needs to be a way to reward players for longevity. Otherwise one could just pick guys that played a few games and did well.
Decent idea, but longevity makes little sense for example Kane Williamson would get a lot more points than Babar Azam, despite Babar being statistically superior by a fair distance. Unfair IMO.

If someone picks a Wesley Madhevere with his 40+ average and 90+ strike rate from just 3 games, I don't see a problem with that. Wesley could have just as easily average 10 at a 50 strike rate from those 3 games.
I see a huge problem with it. If I had known this going in I would have just selected guys who played one match and did well.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

eugene

Post by eugene »

Does this mean I could have selected Mahela Jayawardene as a bowler and taken advantage of his 1/5 at 5.00 bowling stats over the 2010-2020 period?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

eugene wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:53 pm
Does this mean I could have selected Mahela Jayawardene as a bowler and taken advantage of his 1/5 at 5.00 bowling stats over the 2010-2020 period?
Have you got any money riding on this?

I didn't and still don't see this draft as a competition and the same applies to the playoffs. Of course anyone can approach this game in whatever competitive spirit they choose. Only, they shouldn't complain if they haven't read the small print ;)
Kriterion_BD wrote:6) LC may amend or cancel any rule at any time and will notify GMs in this thread of the rule change, ahead of time. I will try my best not to change any rules unless absolutely necessary.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:33 am
Of course Kane should be seen as better for the longevity of the consistency. We'll see where Babar stands when he is at the stage of Kane's career. If he has done better or equal, hats-off to him!

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:07 pm
eugene wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:53 pm
Have you got any money riding on this?

I didn't and still don't see this draft as a competition and the same applies to the playoffs. Of course anyone can approach this game in whatever competitive spirit they choose.
Exactly! For example, I'm not complaining about people not voting for the clearly better Crimson Avengers team in Draft 1 :D. I just enjoyed the process.

eugene

Post by eugene »

A maths whiz such as yourself could surely come up with some formula to avoid Madhevere statistically outranking Kane Williamson. I don't have any money riding on this but I am genuinely interested in having a sound statistical method of selecting the best team.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

This site should have been renamed 'draftcricketforums.com'.

To the point, if it were me, I'd implement a 20 test minimum rule and do something similar in terms of overs bowled/wickets taken and run milestones.

Minimum 3000 runs or some shit like that.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*