Draft 4: World Test XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Draft 4: World Test XI

Post by Kriterion_BD »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:17 pm
zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:03 pm
jaybro wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:01 am
[

Sounds better than a vote or some long winded mathematical summary
Would be quite cool, but I'm not paying 50USD for the game. I would have definitely if i hadn't sold my xbox and had the game.

Am trying to look for other options. Hopefully I can find something.

If i knew how to code and stuff, I'd create my own programme.
If anyone can think of a set of rules they want programmed, I don't mind putting something together.
Basically imagine, there's a CSV/Excel file with a series of data (like player names, runs, average, stuff like that) which is read by the program ... [something happens] ... it spits out an updated CSV/Excel file.

If anyone has thoughts for the [something happens] part maybe we can bring it to life?
Ive already got a system for the something happens. It’s very manual. You will see once we finish Draft 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:32 pm

Ive already got a system for the something happens. It’s very manual. You will see once we finish Draft 2.
Maybe you'd like to share your ideas and that way we can work together to make sure to we get the best system?

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:34 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:32 pm

Maybe you'd like to share your ideas and that way we can work together to make sure to we get the best system?
For future games it’s simply stats based. But with no cricket being played, for Draft 2 we will have to use a random innings for each player. The beauty is that Kohli’s
Random innings could be a duck and Vusi’s could be a run a ball half century.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

The random innings idea sounds like fun.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:00 am
Keeps the math simple. I just have to see if I can find a random number generator online or as an iphone app. Otherwise I'll have to do it by hand which will take a good half hour.

tgk

Post by tgk »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:46 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:00 am
Keeps the math simple. I just have to see if I can find a random number generator online or as an iphone app. Otherwise I'll have to do it by hand which will take a good half hour.

Hey how about 3 or 5 random innings and take the average of those instead of 1 single innings, which could theoretically break the game? 3 or 5 gives a better shot for a better score. And even if say I choose Alastair Cook and get 294, I could get two single digit knocks after that, which keeps it more balanced.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

tgk wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:09 am

Hey how about 3 or 5 random innings and take the average of those instead of 1 single innings, which could theoretically break the game? 3 or 5 gives a better shot for a better score. And even if say I choose Alastair Cook and get 294, I could get two single digit knocks after that, which keeps it more balanced.
Thats actually a pretty good idea. Conversely, the playoffs could be a best of 3 series in each round (finals could be best of 5). Which is essentially the same thing.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

The cricketing public's inbuilt aversion to straight knock-out matches predictably rears its head again ;)

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Once we finish the ODI tournament we should really do this proposed all-time World Test Draw.

The maths for play-off or round robin matches could be very simple if we use a timeless Test scenario and one random match per player. I've just done a simulation with two random favourite oldies XIs, Team A (524 & 146) beating Team B (272 & 341) by 57 runs. The match featured a lot of indifferent batting, a triple century for Team A, back to back hundreds for Team B's no. 3 followed by the grand total of 5 runs from an illustrious pairing at no. 4 & 5, and on the bowling side of things a devastating second innings spell by two of Team B's fast bowlers.

rusty17
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by rusty17 »

if you can keep up with the simulations FF I reckon its a go