[Simulation 1]: Draft 2 | World ODI Teams (2010-present)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: [Simulation 1]: Draft 2 | World ODI Teams (2010-present)

Post by eugene »

I play in an NFL Fantasy Football League. If one this is clear from playing fantasy football it is that often the big name players get out-performed by no-name guys on any given Sunday. Coventry outperforming Kohli in a random ODI is eminently realistic.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Got a little behind. Should have the next game done in a few hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

#2 foreignfield
vs
#7 mueddie28

foreignfield (3.682) beats mueddie28 (2.739) by 0.943 points

Foreignfield cruised to a first round victory over mueddie on the backs of big knocks from Mohammad Hafeez and Shakib al Hasan. Jacob Oram also provided solid batting down the order to give him a very strong total. Oram was also the pick of the bowlers, with 5 wickets from his two innings conceding less than 4.3 an over. Fellow Kiwi, Shane Bond picked up 4 wickets and bowled economically as well.

Mueddie had decent contributions from all of his top order, particularly Ben Stokes and Quinton de Kock. Tendai Chatara and Mujeeb ur Rahman were the pick of this bowling attack, but he managed just 6 wickets from his attack compared to 15 for foreignfield's.
Attachments
foreignfield vs muddie.png
foreignfield vs muddie.png (837.62 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Next match is #1 grant vs #8 eugene!

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

I picked my side with an eye on the old truism that bowlers win matches, and so they did.

My ageing batting line-up crawled through the innings, as one would have suspected (surprisingly Rahul Dravid with the highest SR), but mueddie's bowlers utterly lacked penetration and gave away too many runs whereby my team still got to a competitive total. In reply my bowlers were unstoppable although I couldn't quite bowl mueddie out.

foreignfield (253-3) beats Mueddie28 (234-9) by 19 runs.

The slow batting of my top and middle order might come back to haunt me in the semis. Shiv and Misbah need to turn the strike over more ... that was like watching Zimbabwe bat ;)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

@Kriterion:

Only now that I had a look at my side's scorecard do I realise that the random innings you use are not exclusively from the 2010s as you had planned initially:
Only innings from Jan 1, 2010 onwards will count.
Is it now one from a player's whole career and one from the 2010s? Or both regardless of the 2010 starting point? Or career innings only for those who didn't play enough in the 2010s?

Just curious to understand your methology.

And it obviously helps with my old masters :)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:19 am
#2 foreignfield
vs
#7 mueddie28

foreignfield (3.682) beats mueddie28 (2.739) by 0.943 points

Foreignfield cruised to a first round victory over mueddie on the backs of big knocks from Mohammad Hafeez and Shakib al Hasan. Jacob Oram also provided solid batting down the order to give him a very strong total. Oram was also the pick of the bowlers, with 5 wickets from his two innings conceding less than 4.3 an over. Fellow Kiwi, Shane Bond picked up 4 wickets and bowled economically as well.

Mueddie had decent contributions from all of his top order, particularly Ben Stokes and Quinton de Kock. Tendai Chatara and Mujeeb ur Rahman were the pick of this bowling attack, but he managed just 6 wickets from his attack compared to 15 for foreignfield's.
I guess picking 5 openers wasn’t so smart after all ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:55 am
@Kriterion:

Only now that I had a look at my side's scorecard do I realise that the random innings you use are not exclusively from the 2010s as you had planned initially:
Only innings from Jan 1, 2010 onwards will count.
Is it now one from a player's whole career and one from the 2010s? Or both regardless of the 2010 starting point? Or career innings only for those who didn't play enough in the 2010s?

Just curious to understand your methology.

And it obviously helps with my old masters :)
To make it easy, only 1 innings needs to be from 2010 onwards. The other one is from any time. They could both be 2010+ especially with newer players like Babar Azam

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

We have our first major upset!

# 8 eugene knocks of the juggernaut #1 ranked grant...

Eugene (3.411) beats grant (3.218) by 0.193 points

Two star-studded sides, and the consensus was that eugene's team was much stronger than the intial statistics ranking showed. Sure enough, eugene played spoil-sport to grant's chances of progression in the tournament and he knocked off a real favorite.

Grant got off to a solid start with the bat getting big knocks from Johnny Bairstow and Virat Kohli, both of whom scored above 3 points. Rashid Khan was indifferent with the ball, taking just 1 wicket at 4.4 an over, but he contributed vital runs with the bat, to propel team grant to a competitive total, well in excess of 3 points.

Eugene's batting is built more upon classical accumulation rather than gran'ts lightning scoring. TM Dilshan and Babar Azam both batted big, with Babar scoring over 200 runs in his two innings combined with a century and another score of 90+. But there weren't too many notable contributions and with a long tail, eugene's batting was well behind grant's. However, as this simulation format shows, its the bowlers who win you the game. Eugene got sensational spells from Saeed Ajmal and Clint McKay, and solid contributions from Mohammad Shami as well. In the end it was Ajmal's five-wicket haul that sealed the deal for eugene as he snuck past grant, but a small yet convincing margin.
Attachments
grant vs eugene.png
grant vs eugene.png (403.56 KiB) Viewed 2066 times

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Semi-final matchups:

#2 foreingfield
vs
#8 eugene

#3 rusty17
vs
#4 brmtaylor.com admin