Sri Lanka sold 2011 WC final to India

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Sri Lanka sold 2011 WC final to India

Post by jaybro »

Sri Lanka has ordered a criminal probe into allegations the 2011 cricket World Cup final was “sold” to India, officials said Monday.

“A criminal investigation has begun,” K.D.S. Ruwanchandra, the secretary to the sports ministry, told AFP.

“It is handled by the (police) independent Special Investigation Unit on sports-related offences.”

Former sports minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage claimed earlier this month that Sri Lanka sold the match to ensure an Indian victory.

“I feel I can talk about it now. I am not connecting players, but some sections were involved,” Aluthgamage said.

The island nation’s 1996 World Cup-winning skipper Arjuna Ranatunga has also cast doubt on the result and previously called for an investigation.

Local media reports said former skipper and chief selector for the 2011 finals, Aravinda de Silva, had been summoned for an interview with investigators on Tuesday.

After starting strongly, Sri Lanka lost the final at Mumbai’s Wankhede stadium by six wickets.

Sri Lanka batted first and scored 6-274 off 50 overs. They appeared in a commanding position when Indian superstar Sachin Tendulkar was out for 18.

Kumar Sangakkara, who captained Sri Lanka in the 2011 final, has told Aluthgamage to take his allegations to the ICC.
Kumar Sangakkara, who captained Sri Lanka in the 2011 final, has told Aluthgamage to take his allegations to the ICC.Source: News Limited
But India turned the game dramatically, thanks in part to poor fielding and bowling by Sri Lanka, who were led by Kumar Sangakkara.

Sangakkara had said Aluthgamage should share his allegations with the global governing body the International Cricket Council.

International cricket in Sri Lanka has previously been linked to corruption allegations, including claims of match-fixing ahead of a 2018 Test against England.

Earlier this month, the Sri Lankan cricket board said the ICC was investigating three unnamed ex-players over corruption claims.

Match-fixing was made a criminal offence in November. Offenders face fines of up to 100 million rupees ($555,000) and up to 10 years’ jail.

Huge news if true
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Sri Lanka sold 2011 WC final to India

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Absolute nonsense on the face of it. Some politician trying to get some visibility. That is all. Is he questioning Sangakkara? There was also a similar allegation on Atapattu when he was leading and that fell flat too. These two are possibly the two most passionate cricketers to play for their country.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:30 am
Absolute nonsense on the face of it. Some politician trying to get some visibility. That is all. Is he questioning Sangakkara? There was also a similar allegation on Atapattu when he was leading and that fell flat too. These two are possibly the two most passionate cricketers to play for their country.
It is wholly possible for match fixing to take place without the captain knowing.

Not saying this claim is true, just that I don't think he is blaming Sanga.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Would be serious money involved though.

Very serious to throw a WC final. All those players value would go up with a win. To forego it means they would have got paid a hell of a lot.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:39 am
Would be serious money involved though.

Very serious to throw a WC final. All those players value would go up with a win. To forego it means they would have got paid a hell of a lot.
Yeah I agree

Multiple millions at the very least you’d think

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:12 am

Yeah I agree

And that leaves a paper trail. You can't give multple millions to multiple players in a currency whose value surely makes it tens of millions if not hundreds of millions via a bank wire. Depositing a suitcase full of cash by any involved person would be suspicious.

I highly doubt this is true. India were playing at home, got umpires benefit in the semifinal vs PAK, etc. Its not like SL were such a great team that they couldn't lose a match to India in India.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Hmmm there’s definitely criminal transactions in this realm so I don’t see that as a reason why it wouldn’t be true

In my opinion the main reason why this isn’t true is that surely no player would ever chuck a World Cup final? Surely no amount of money can make you do that

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:57 pm
jaybro wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:12 am

Yeah I agree

And that leaves a paper trail. You can't give multple millions to multiple players in a currency whose value surely makes it tens of millions if not hundreds of millions via a bank wire. Depositing a suitcase full of cash by any involved person would be suspicious.

I highly doubt this is true. India were playing at home, got umpires benefit in the semifinal vs PAK, etc. Its not like SL were such a great team that they couldn't lose a match to India in India.
Crims have their ways of doing this. Would be easier in a sunny country where I assume cash is king.

Could be as simple as suitcases stuffed with cash, or sophisticated laundering systems.

If Sangakkara becomes an artist tomorrow and starts selling oil paintings for a million each to private buyers then we can be suss.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Sounds like nothing really.

grant

Post by grant »

Doesn't sound true to me. Also, the result was hardly a surprise....