World X1 squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: World X1 squad

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:32 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:16 am
How good was Neil Fairbrother?
He was the glue to England's bating lineup in their bad times twenty years back. Things would have been really ugly without him.
Kind of like a cheaper version of Michael bevan.
Yeah, Fairbrother was one of the first names I remember following in the English team after Hick. He was a difficult to dislodge customer from what I remember, but nothing flashy. I think the first player I really liked in their ODI line-up, who got them thinking differently for the limited over matches, was Nick Knight.
Nick knight looks like that Christian B bloke that supposedly killed Maddie. Can't unsee it.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

I always thought Nick Knight went in for the wrong sport with the wrong nationality; I can picture him as an American race car driver or maybe a seventies' style pool hall shark.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:26 pm
Jemisi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:08 pm
He's given him the gloves, surely?
Yup, that was the choice. To accommodate what foreignfield is looking for, I could rotate Zim, Ban and SA players to have

Alester Maregwede --> Steve Palframan
Enamul Haque --> Keith Dabengwa
Richard Snell --> Talha Jubair

In any case, I nominate Pramodaya Wickramasinghe as captain. I love that name! :D
That is a cool name

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Has this become a ‘My favourite names world XI’ thread ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:27 am
Has this become a ‘My favourite names world XI’ thread ?
No! Except Pramodaya Wickramasinghe, I don't necessarily like any of the other names or their careers as such. It is neither a World XI of the one's I don't like. Just some journeyment from these teams over the years, the names that came to my mind as I instinctively collated this list.

Having said that, Pramodaya Wickramasinghe is a World Cup winner and Wajahatullah Wasti is a World Cup finalist (if I remember correctly).

And if it was about favorite names, I would have had Everton Matambanadzo / Blessing Mahwire for Zim :)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Steve Palframan, now there was a guy who fell off the radar. How many players have played all the games at a CWC but then only played one other ODI?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:03 am
Steve Palframan, now there was a guy who fell off the radar. How many players have played all the games at a CWC but then only played one other ODI?
Did he play before the WC?
Jason Kresja would have come pretty close in 2011. Although he played 2 tests. Even got an 8fer in one of his two tests!

You don't see someone come in, take 8 wickets and be dumped never to be seen again very often.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Palframan played one ODI in the leadup to the CWC. Post World Cup Dave Richardson returned and Boucher appeared on the scene and Palframan was never seen again.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes