Zimbabwe Tour Of Pakistan 2020 [ 3 Odis & 3 T20s ] : Pre Series Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Zimbabwe Tour Of Pakistan 2020 [ 3 Odis & 3 T20s ] : Pre Series Discussion

Post by Jemisi »

A lot of the selection is economic. The older guys need to be in the first class comp but to keep them there they need the international 🥕 dangled. We can't afford to pay them properly to play for the franchises. I've got no problem with maruma playing for the 🐐. But then they want to throw him some livelihood and that means an occasional game for Zim. They aren't expecting him to do well. I don't think it is just cold nepotism, either. It compares with some forms of unionism.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

It was a T20 so it makes sense. To be honest Elton makes my T20 team because he can win you a game. We will never go anywhere in that format until we realize that you need at least 5 guys who can clear the ropes naturally. A lot of our best players in other formats can’t.

PJ Elton BT and Raza are the only guys in our current squad who I know 100% if they connect it’s going all the way for 6 against international standard bowlers. The rest have to think about where to hit it and that’s where trouble comes in this format. They end up overthinking because they don’t back themselves to clear the ropes.

Kamunhukamwe and Maruma are 2 other guys who can do it domestically.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Even with the bowlers there are guys more suited for T20s . You might find that Mpofu will be a better pick than Chatara because Chatara sprays it everywhere in his final spell every single time

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Jemisi wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:45 pm
A lot of the selection is economic. The older guys need to be in the first class comp but to keep them there they need the international 🥕 dangled. We can't afford to pay them properly to play for the franchises. I've got no problem with maruma playing for the 🐐. But then they want to throw him some livelihood and that means an occasional game for Zim. They aren't expecting him to do well. I don't think it is just cold nepotism, either. It compares with some forms of unionism.
What a way to select an international test
playing cricket team
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I don't think T20 is all about big hitters anymore. If that were the case then Brisbane Heat would be unstoppable.

I think it started off that way, but has developed a lot. You need big hitters up top, but you really need a balance. The other issue with our big hitters is that its more swing than anything. Their head wobbles and their body is all sorts.

Look at guys who hit hard and big regularly and their head is steady and they are hitting balls that are there to be hit, not just swinging. You can turn good balls in to runs if you play them properly too. I've seen sides build big T20 totals by hitting not many sixes. You want to keep the run rate moving along, rotating the strike and keeping the bowlers guessing.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:51 am
I don't think T20 is all about big hitters anymore. If that were the case then Brisbane Heat would be unstoppable.

I think it started off that way, but has developed a lot. You need big hitters up top, but you really need a balance. The other issue with our big hitters is that its more swing than anything. Their head wobbles and their body is all sorts.

Look at guys who hit hard and big regularly and their head is steady and they are hitting balls that are there to be hit, not just swinging. You can turn good balls in to runs if you play them properly too. I've seen sides build big T20 totals by hitting not many sixes. You want to keep the run rate moving along, rotating the strike and keeping the bowlers guessing.
It can work because Wes Raza and Williams are the 3 guys who I know can find gaps too. I’m just afraid for the guys who can’t hit big and also struggle to find gaps early on in their innings. We have a lot of those guys.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

It is really hard to get excited anymore. We are clearly in steady decline, in another 5-10 years we will be where Kenya is now. The decline in the game from 20 years ago is astronomical, I can't imagine where things will be in 20 years time! Maruma will probably be coaching the national team by that stage.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Second warm up game completed

Milton Shumba & Maruma scoring 45 & 44* whilst KJ & Chisoro took two wickets each

Ervine seeing Zim B home with 65*
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:55 am
Second warm up game completed

Milton Shumba & Maruma scoring 45 & 44* whilst KJ & Chisoro took two wickets each

Ervine seeing Zim B home with 65*
Any scorecards? What happened in the 1st game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

rusty17

Post by rusty17 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:51 am

If you're a BBL fan you'd love one of my favourites Jono wells, minimal dots, good placement and can hit the ball hard when needed