Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Post by maehara »

Final squad, confirmed by ZC:
Prince Masvaure (captain), Tinashe Chimbambo, Tendai Chitongo, Hughes Dinembira, Justin Gaisford (vice-captain), Kyle Jarvis, Edzai Jaure, Daniel Landman, Tendai Mashonganyika, Stewart Matsika, Solomon Mire, Peter Moor, Tinotenda Mutombodzi, Njabulo Ncube, Reginald Nehonde.
(Some early discussion on the squad in this thread.)

Zim's first-round fixtures:

Code: Select all

18 February     Zimbabwe v New Zealand          JCA, Johor
20 February     Malaysia v Zimbabwe             MPTI, Johor
22 February     Pakistan v Zimbabwe             MPTI, Johor

aydee

Re: Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Post by aydee »

They've almost certainly got a couple of warm-up matches in the next couple of days, don't know the details I'm afraid.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

aydee wrote:They've almost certainly got a couple of warm-up matches in the next couple of days, don't know the details I'm afraid.
Funny you should mention that... :)

Code: Select all

12 February 2008     Australia v Zimbabwe          Royal Military College, Kuala Lumpur
14 February 2008     Nepal v Zimbabwe              Royal Military College, Kuala Lumpur

Utseyalitharan

Post by Utseyalitharan »

does anyone have a link to sum kind of commentary, scorecard for the Zim-Aus game?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Hilton Toro - Assistant Coach
That worries me a bit. He's only 23, and he was one of the forgettable members of the 2006 Mashonaland team. Why aren't guys like Kevin Curran or Andy Pycroft or Alastair Campbell or Walter Chawaguta travelling with the U19 team? The coach, Shepherd Makunura, played for Northerns last year in the Logan Cup. Surely we have coaches, somewhere, who have retired from playing?

iwantmore

Post by iwantmore »

Why are there no Ervines in the team? Surely one of the two remaining in Zimbabwe is U-19.....

Also, how old is Regis C?? He's a star in the making. Im excited to see how Justin Gaisford goes, I've heard nothing but glowing things about him.

What about Matthew Williams?

I really wonder whether the team will come close to emulating the last performance in the U-19 world cup.

Someone also needs to persuade Gavin Ewing and Gary Ballance back to Zim, they're invaluable cricketers as well as Tinashe Panyangara.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

iwantmore wrote:Why are there no Ervines in the team? Surely one of the two remaining in Zimbabwe is U-19.....

Also, how old is Regis C?? He's a star in the making. Im excited to see how Justin Gaisford goes, I've heard nothing but glowing things about him.

What about Matthew Williams?

I really wonder whether the team will come close to emulating the last performance in the U-19 world cup.

Someone also needs to persuade Gavin Ewing and Gary Ballance back to Zim, they're invaluable cricketers as well as Tinashe Panyangara.
Ryan Ervine might be, but I can't say for sure. I don't think Craig is U19. Regis Chakabva is 20 I think. Matthew Williams is only 16 or 17 (probably too young for U19), and hasn't really been talked about too much - he just played the one game for Westerns and has had a pretty low profile since then.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Here is some info on the players: http://www.brmtaylor.com/players/u19.html

Have a look at Njabulo Ncube and Kyle Jarvis, two quick bowlers. Now, apparently Jarvis is very quick with RAW PACE. I really hope so.
Prince Masvaure (captain)
The most experienced player of the squad, with 5 First Class matches up his sleeve. A left handed batsman, he has scored a First Class half century against Kenya Select.

Justin Gaisford (vice captain & wicket keeper)
A right handed batsman, he plays for Harare Sports Club in the National League and attends Peterhouse.

Tinashe Chimbambo
A fast-medium bowler from Chitungwiza.

Tendai Chitongo
As a legspinner, Tendai Chitongo is known as "Usher" and has represented several Zimbabwe age group teams.

Hughes Dinembira
Medium pace bowler and right hand batsman who plays for Takashinga. Nicknamed Kanye, he loves nature and would like to be an environmentalist.

Kyle Jarvis
Perhaps the one "big name" player besides Prince Masvaure in the squad. He is a true strike bowler and has been describe as having genuine raw pace albeit with a slight lack of control. He is tall and well built, meaning he can extract bounce from the pitch. He has also played rugby for Zimbabwe U19's.

Edzai Jaure
The youngest U19 member at just 16, he has been playing cricket for over 9 years. A right handed player, like so many Zimbabweans he bowls medium pace.

Daniel Landman
Daniel Brendon Landman is a fast medium bowler and has been playing cricket since he was five.

Tendai Mashonganyika
One of the "2006 forgettables" who was forced to play for Mashonaland when the selectors refused to pick players from the leading clubs. A medium pace bowler, he would like to be a lawyer.

Stuart Matsika
Matsika looks up to Elton Chigumbura because of his allround agression and skill. He is a medium pace bowler.

Solomon Mire
With a one-day domestic average of 115.00, he goes into the World Cup as one of the more solid performers. He is a lower order batsman who can hit big. He bowls medium pace, but looks up to Brett Lee as a role model. He has contemplated a career as a pilot. His nickname is Solz.

Peter Moor
Moor comes from a strong cricket family, his uncle, father and brother are all cricketers. He has played in the U13's, U14's and U16's in the past.

Confidence Mutombodzi
Like Solomon Mire, Confidence would like to be a pilot. Nicknamed Tyno, he is a legspinner who has represented many age teams.

Njabulo Ncube
Apparantly he is a fast bowler with a bit of pace at his disposal. His brothers play club cricket, while he has played for Westerns B and Westerns U19.

Reginald Nehonde
An offspin bowler who has played cricket since 11. He would like to be a sociologist.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Interview with Prince Masvaure on the U19 WC website.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Zimbabwe U19 57 (28.3 overs; Mashonganyika 12, Hazelwood 3/17), Australia U19 60/0 (7.2 overs; Hughes 40*, Sarna 12*). Australia U19 win by 10 wickets.

Scorecard. Ouch.