Who are the guys you would watch this domestic season and why?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Who are the guys you would watch this domestic season and why?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:37 am
When i think about it, this could have been a wonderful opportunity for some of the players of years gone by to have got involved. It's only club cricket after all. Kids like Tuan Harrison for example, or maybe Muyeye now that the english summer is over.
Would have liked to have seen a few more previous Under 19's in there like Odendaal
Yeah, that's true. Would have been happy to see a few more names in the line ups if they are in the country, specially from the previous U19 batches.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimfan1 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:56 pm
sloandog wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:27 am
This is all presuming he wants to play FC.
He’s just received a 1st Class Degree in Sport & Exercise Science from an excellent University in the U.K, so he has plenty to fall back on if he did want to give Zimbabwe a crack.
Still wish I’d have seen Ryan Murray in a side. I know he’s still at University but seriously the sooner this boy gets back and dons the gloves the better. He’ll give so much more stability to the side, opposed to Chakabva or Mutumbami who the selectors tend to keep alternating between. I think the days of Taylor keeping wicket are very much a distant and fond memory
From what I understand Murray has given up on Zimbabwe, was not prepared to play domestic cricket and expected to just walk into the squad against Pakistan and has now gone off in a bit of a huff. Fingers crossed this changes.
Im not so sure thats true, I was reliably informed just three weeks ago he just wants to finish off his degree this year and play next year.
He doesn't want to do the degree by correspondence for a reason i forget.
My source is 150% in the know, no question, but i cant say for certain if they were telling the truth or not
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:08 pm
sloandog wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:37 am
When i think about it, this could have been a wonderful opportunity for some of the players of years gone by to have got involved. It's only club cricket after all. Kids like Tuan Harrison for example, or maybe Muyeye now that the english summer is over.
Would have liked to have seen a few more previous Under 19's in there like Odendaal
Yeah, that's true. Would have been happy to see a few more names in the line ups if they are in the country, specially from the previous U19 batches.
Especially the chinaman bowler

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 am

I don’t think anybody should be allowed to walk into a national team unless you are coming from a setup which is far better than ours(e.g the Kolpak players and Mire). Has he played any competitive cricket since COVID? Brad Evans came from Uni and he is now grinding it out. That’s the way to do it.

This is the easiest country to make the national team. If he has exams let him finish and then come back and grind it out too. With BT probably not wanting the gloves anymore Murray will literally walk straight into a central contract. I don’t see what’s so hard about that. The Pakistan tour is not the end of the world. Get your degree then come grind it out in the domestic competition.
I don't think he is walking in to the side. He proved himself in that disaster of a series against Pakistan and Australia and we all know for certain that Regis and Mutumbami are not good enough. Some players you have to make allowances for and work with. It's not as if Zim has a plethora of talent that perform at a high level regularly that we can turn to players and say, "we don't need you, you need us".

The problem is that the argument is that players should put everything about Zimbabwe first, but the country is not set up for that. Why would players risk their families livelihoods when their is barely a functioning health system or proper governance? You can't just ask players to give up everything so that they can come and play domestic or club cricket for $10 a game.

ZC has financial constraints. So the make the most of other systems that are there. If Murray is at uni, fair enough. You work with him and develop a programme that he has to stick to whilst at Uni. A training programme of sorts that ensures he keeps up his fitness and match skill, and also a side so that he can play regulalry. If he is in South, it is not hard to come up and down for camps or training outside of Uni to keep up with it so you can monitor him.

The solution is not one or the other. We are going about it the wrong way.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I don’t think it’s too be an ask for Murray to play some domestic cricket to be in contention for selection.

Special circumstances do call for selection without domestic cricket, but I’m not sure Murray quite qualifies for that. A bit of club cricket in SA isn’t enough for me.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It's not a big ask at all for Murray to commit to a couple of games and as long as he holds his own he is fast tracked.

He's wanted and very well respected here and the fans love him, but that sort of no strings attached treatment would only apply to a AB De cikkiers type top 20 batsman/bowler
It's not even a respect thing, just has to make sure he's in touch still after playing club level.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I know it's not a big ask to play a couple of domestic games, but when our domestic season is such a shambles in the sense of no set start dates and rushed seasons, it can be hard for someone to commit to that particularly if they have exams or other important commitments on.

Are we really saying that ZC domestic cricket is that high a standard that we cannot make exceptions for players who we know clearly have the talent and quality?

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:59 pm
I saw in another thread someone asking for which players to watch in the NPL and some names popping up, but since that discussion got overshadowed by other match specific discussions, thought of starting a thread for it separately.

Here are the 10 people I'd be watching closely in this NPL and beyond (not necessarily as guys close to national selection or anything, but for random reasons I'd be quoting):

1. Tadiwanashe Marumani - scored some explosive runs in the U19 World Cup against the Scots twice. Went almost unnoticed as Madhevere and Shumba dominated headlines. But a guy to watch with T20 focus

2. Saxon Pettican - That's just a cool name to follow. Looks like a talented kid...

3. Andre Odendaal - I'm not sure if he has come up in any discussions yet. He was a decent pace all-rounder in his U19 batch but was absent in the cricket scene ever since. He bowls left arm pace so could be direct competition to the default post-Vettori leftie in Ngarava. Also has some lusty blows in his armory by the looks of it.

4. Tinashe Muchawaya - I just saw a picture of him and what a physique! IF he can bend his back, he could be a real find for us in the fast bowling department. Hoping to follow his fortunes more over the season and hope he gets bigger opportunities too.

5 & 6. Gratitude Jaya, Gabriel Jaya - What names! "Jaya" in most Indian languages (due to Sanskrit) means Victory. Do I need any other reasons?

7. Luke Oldknow - Got to know that he has been added to one of the squads? Looked like a pretty good batting potential but did not do justice to his reputation in the U19 World Cup.

8. Amal Varma - A very Indiam name. One out of a few present, but chose him as I have never heard of him before as against Aarsh Jha, Tufail Zaheer, etc.

9. Dion Myers - Obviously one of our biggest hopes.

10. Tafadzwa Tsiga - Possibly our best hope in Ryan Murray's absence to step up to national keeping duties by overshadowing Chakabva and Mutumbami?
Welcome to the Great Zimbabwe Patriot club as Odendaal, Gratitude duos and Oldknow all have been performing well so far for the Patriots in NPL. #FambaWeZhira
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu