Potentially a fantastic short term fix for our opening dilemma

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Potentially a fantastic short term fix for our opening dilemma

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

It's no secret that we a
Re struggling in this department.
However, I think we potentially have a great band aid solution for the short to mid term.

Garry Ballance!

He's a few months off the four year threshold for switching allegiances.

I don't think he's playing for England again. But he's still a good batsman and would be amazing for Zimbabwe up top.

I would monitor him and see how he goes next county season. Unless he's on red hot fire, he's done as an England rep.

So let's throw the good money at him to make it worthwhile to come home for this upcoming World Cup campaign and the next!

He's a ready made international caliber bat. He bats up the top.

I don't want him fighting with Taylor for the number 4 spot, but let's offer him money he can't refuse for an opening berth.

He's in the final 3/4 of his career, so why not cash in and play internationals!
I'd prefer Welch and Byrom but they are still chasing the England dream and are t available for two years anyway.

1. Balance
2. Burl (?)
3. Ervine
4. BT
5. Williams
6. Wes
7. Raza

That's a fiery order.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sloandog

Re: Potentially a fantastic short term fix for our opening dilemma

Post by sloandog »

It's nice to dream

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I mean, here's a question; why would he?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:11 pm
I mean, here's a question; why would he?
-Cash equal to or slightly better than his county.
- his hometown. Can probably drive his dollar further.
- cruise cushy job. Let us say he's given 3 years with every year contingent off in averaging north of 30.
- job security as per above
- test career cont.

From my understanding he is an English citizen now so he can always choose his residence after and by all reports jarvis and Taylor are cashing in here more than there.
I'd also be giving such cash to Welch if he doesn't fully kick on to England honours.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

While it's a lovely idea it will never happen, ballance is simply too good to consider coming back from a county contract that must be worth an absolute fortune which if you remember the whole Murray Goodwin saga in 2009ish ZC would never be willing to push that kind of money for a non shona player quite frankly put.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The national contracts for the best players here are decent. Financially they can do it. It’s about them wanting to actually do it.

Ballance has a list A average of almost 50. Surely he would want to play in a World Cup. He has a better chance of dragging Zimbabwe to the World Cup by himself than cracking that England ODI team again

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kallum wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:54 pm
While it's a lovely idea it will never happen, ballance is simply too good to consider coming back from a county contract that must be worth an absolute fortune which if you remember the whole Murray Goodwin saga in 2009ish ZC would never be willing to push that kind of money for a non shona player quite frankly put.
Except they have.
Brendan Taylor's contract has been rumoured to be 20k USD a month. Conservative opinions still put it at 10k.
But in his own words 'it made more sense financially to play for Zimbabwe'. Jarvis clearly got an equally good offer.
That initiative I think was a taibu thing but it showed they learnt from previous years that it's good to pay for top talent. So I don't see why not.

As for the Shona's, they never pay out to them. ZC are like the Democrats. They know how to manipulate the niggas to say the right, appealing things, but fundamentally really their plans are to keep them down so anything above poverty is a gain and they are appreciative.
Taibu woke up to that halfway through his career.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:04 pm
The national contracts for the best players here are decent. Financially they can do it. It’s about them wanting to actually do it.

Ballance has a list A average of almost 50. Surely he would want to play in a World Cup. He has a better chance of dragging Zimbabwe to the World Cup by himself than cracking that England ODI team again
Bingo.
If the will is there this ain't no pipe dream.
It will rely on a too heavy strategy from ZC but considering the weak Logan Cup, it may not be a terrible strategy.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

Ah I wasnt aware of quite how much money they were putting into BT and KJ, I still think theyd have to put up easily half a mil a year to get Ballance playing for Zim

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

If they were playing Streak 20k a month it shows they have the ability to pay. I still don’t know why people don’t believe BT and Jarvis were paid that much :lol: These guys are good and I would rather they get the money than the admin. Raza is also making a lot of money with those T20 gigs.

In theory they can actually bring everybody back since they are supposed to be debt free now.