Players who deserve a chance in FC cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Players who deserve a chance in FC cricket

Post by jaybro »

Well now the ACHPP is gone and the Rocks are back I’m sure all those who are worthy and willing to play will get a chance this season.

I think 4 teams is the perfect number for Logan Cup, happy for 5 if one of those is an academy team. But now we have five straight up First Class sides the quality and standard will be an issue, unless all the National Team players play the majority of the games and if the rumours are true there might be a few county guys come across.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Are my rocks back? Really? I had missed that. My head agrees a bit jaybro but my heart is happy.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Should have had another Harare based franchise. It's where a lot of people live and it's the central hub of the country. Who wants to travel to the sticks and play for the Rocks? Which ground do they even play at? Is it Masvingo?

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:47 am
Ryan Butterworth should give it one last crack.
Surely you're joking

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:44 am
Should have had another Harare based franchise. It's where a lot of people live and it's the central hub of the country. Who wants to travel to the sticks and play for the Rocks? Which ground do they even play at? Is it Masvingo?
Yes it’s Masvingo, let’s see what happens maybe they’re going to be ‘Southern Rocks’ in name but play out of Harare? IIRC the Goats played last season out of Harare didn’t they?

Kallum

Post by Kallum »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:18 pm
Well now the ACHPP is gone and the Rocks are back I’m sure all those who are worthy and willing to play will get a chance this season.

I think 4 teams is the perfect number for Logan Cup, happy for 5 if one of those is an academy team. But now we have five straight up First Class sides the quality and standard will be an issue, unless all the National Team players play the majority of the games and if the rumours are true there might be a few county guys come across.
I hope that they dont end up doing what they did in 2010 and basically bankrupting themselves by bringing all these guys across for one season though, should try make it as sustainable as possible. In theory though it can only be a good thing for the standard of cricket in the Logan cup if you get the likes of Will Rhodes, Nick Browne and players of that level over that will provide great experience to the Logan Cup players but wont bankrupt ZC in the process and be a much more sustainable steady investment rather than an all or nothing bid that wont really work.

I hope that ZC are able to get more county teams to start touring regularly again as well as this will be an even better way in order to improve the standard throughout the FC setup.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kallum wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:44 pm
jaybro wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:18 pm

I hope that they dont end up doing what they did in 2010 and basically bankrupting themselves by bringing all these guys across for one season though, should try make it as sustainable as possible. In theory though it can only be a good thing for the standard of cricket in the Logan cup if you get the likes of Will Rhodes, Nick Browne and players of that level over that will provide great experience to the Logan Cup players but wont bankrupt ZC in the process and be a much more sustainable steady investment rather than an all or nothing bid that wont really work.

I hope that ZC are able to get more county teams to start touring regularly again as well as this will be an even better way in order to improve the standard throughout the FC setup.
overseas players wobt cost much.
They will attract fringe county players on holidays willing to keep matchfit in the off season looking to boost their stats and acclimatise to oz/SA/Zim comditions for a trivial amount of money.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:48 pm
sloandog wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:44 am
Yes it’s Masvingo, let’s see what happens maybe they’re going to be ‘Southern Rocks’ in name but play out of Harare? IIRC the Goats played last season out of Harare didn’t they?
For sure youd think so,
its a region in name only to satisfy icc criteria i think.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kallum wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:44 pm

It was the overseas players for the Stanbic t20 that wasted the cash, getting County pros will cost very little